Hotspot Association

HotSpot here, HotSpot there. All you need to know about HotSpots

Hotspot Association

Postby shamrock365 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi,

Was just wondering, how HotSpots recognise a login? Are they MAC address based or cookie based? Maybe a flavour of both? I'm just a doing a little research into router used by Eircom in Ireland for there HotSpots.

Shamrock365
Chuck Norris destroyed the Periodic Table, the only element he believes in is the element of surprise...
shamrock365
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm assuming that you're referring to a captive portal type HotSpot.

Usually, it's MAC based. The MAC is placed in database and marked as being valid or expired depending on the time allowed and (if required) validated payment, etc.

Here's a good explanation: How Wi-Fi hotspots force you to log in - Network World
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:21 pm

Thorn wrote:I'm assuming that you're referring to a captive portal type HotSpot.

Usually, it's MAC based. The MAC is placed in database and marked as being valid or expired depending on the time allowed and (if required) validated payment, etc.

Here's a good explanation: How Wi-Fi hotspots force you to log in - Network World

This thread gave me an idea. Now let's see. What would the wife have to barter for internet access? :D
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:40 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:This thread gave me an idea. Now let's see. What would the wife have to barter for internet access? :D

The ability for you to continue sleeping in your own bed? :cool:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Barry wrote:The ability for you to continue sleeping in your own bed? :cool:

...and the chance to see her naked sometime before you're blind from extreme old age?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 pm

You all are probably right about it all. :)
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Return to HotSpots