HOTSPOT Authentication

HotSpot here, HotSpot there. All you need to know about HotSpots

HOTSPOT Authentication

Postby a1anmurray » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:01 am

Firstly, thanks for reading this. Apologies if it makes a lame read.

I have been tasked with looking into WIFI Authentication. Been looking at alsorts, from SMC and Netgear Hotspot in a box to the likes of Chillispot and FreeRadius.

What I am seeking from this forum, is some expert advice on how to create a centralised solution for Wifi Authentication. Or at least some pointers to some reliable and non commercial software providers. We have a hosting centre where we would like to host the Radius etc.

I know there are lots of off the shelf packages out there and WISPS that will provide the service, but I would like to use tools that are available to me and I'd like to get to grips with the project as opposed to handing it over to a 3rd party company.

The idea is that we can create hotspots around the UK which provide free internet access to anyone..... the revenue will come from local tradesmen etc who will have part of the "walled garden" where people authenticating will see the links.

Where I have tried to initiate links with local providers in the UK, they believe a revenue stream is required for their assistance. We are firm believers that it should be free access

The telecoms will be provided as ADSL and we were looking to use 3com WAP with UAM (unless we get recommended something different)

Thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

alan
a1anmurray
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:11 am

Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Thorn » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:13 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="7"]SEARCH![/SIZE][/color]
This has been answered in at least 50 prior threads.

NoCat http://www.nocat.net
Mikrotik http://www.mikrotik.com
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

There is no spoon...

Postby nashr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:34 am

You all know I'm not a huge fan of spoonfeeding... but perhaps this one is worth a "sticky" to collect known solutions?
Attachments
spoonboy.jpg
spoonboy.jpg (14.15 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

Postby streaker69 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:42 am

nashr wrote:You all know I'm not a huge fan of spoonfeeding... but perhaps this one is worth a "sticky" to collect known solutions?

I agree, but I had to fix your picture.
Attachments
spoonboy.gif
spoonboy.gif (49.64 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby a1anmurray » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:46 am

you are all positively mad.

whats a sticky when its at home?

Trust me, I have been searching... I found wifidog which looks quite interesting........
a1anmurray
Mini Stumbler

Postby nashr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:51 am

streaker69 wrote:I agree, but I had to fix your picture.

That's outstanding! I was thinking of a Photoshop for that image... but that wasn't it. Too bad my Photoshop skills suck. My idea was to put my own image on the spoon, in place of Neo. That would be a tough one to pull off effectively.
nashr

antenna

Postby robert kimball » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:51 am

i ran across the post below, which has gone unanswered for some time on its original board. i thought perhaps on a new board it might be answered since i have the same problem, except for the fact that my pc is a laptop. thanks.

"I have a netgear WG511 PCMCIA wifi card, and want to put an external antenna on it. I have done a lot of searching and found out that it has a U.FL (Highrose) connector in it. Almost all of the posts i have seen said it can't be used as an antenna port, but didnt give an exact answer why. From what I gathered, the connector is rated for 100 insertions (after 100, it might break off, leaving the card useless). From what i have read, the jack is only used as a test probe port to test the cards functionality after being built. All of the posts i have seen said "I just built/bought a highrose to N-Type cable, and will post the results". Only 1 person posted that it didnt work, and that person didnt even know if s/he had the right cable.

I want to get an external jack on this puppy one way or another. Doing any kind of soldier work isnt a big deal for me, i have 11 years electronics experience. When it comes to radio stuff however, im still learning (im studyin' for my FCC Ham Radio Licence.)

Now, i know this is a damn dumb ass question, but can i soldier a jack to the antenna to the wi-fi card in some way, shape, or form? I think that would be a better soloution than using the highrose jack that probabbly wont work.

Another problem i have with the WG511 highrose jack is that any kind of adapter cable will put some stress on the PCMCIA card. Im sure i can Duct-Tape a soloution, but i would like something a little more perminant.

If i can get a definate YES to weather the highrose jack works, then ill just build or buy a cable for it, otherwise, what other soloutions would i have?"

Postby streaker69 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:59 am

robert kimball wrote:i ran across the post below, which has gone unanswered for some time on its original board. i thought perhaps on a new board it might be answered since i have the same problem, except for the fact that my pc is a laptop. thanks.

"I have a netgear WG511 PCMCIA wifi card, and want to put an external antenna on it. I have done a lot of searching and found out that it has a U.FL (Highrose) connector in it. Almost all of the posts i have seen said it can't be used as an antenna port, but didnt give an exact answer why. From what I gathered, the connector is rated for 100 insertions (after 100, it might break off, leaving the card useless). From what i have read, the jack is only used as a test probe port to test the cards functionality after being built. All of the posts i have seen said "I just built/bought a highrose to N-Type cable, and will post the results". Only 1 person posted that it didnt work, and that person didnt even know if s/he had the right cable.

I want to get an external jack on this puppy one way or another. Doing any kind of soldier work isnt a big deal for me, i have 11 years electronics experience. When it comes to radio stuff however, im still learning (im studyin' for my FCC Ham Radio Licence.)

Now, i know this is a damn dumb ass question, but can i soldier a jack to the antenna to the wi-fi card in some way, shape, or form? I think that would be a better soloution than using the highrose jack that probabbly wont work.

Another problem i have with the WG511 highrose jack is that any kind of adapter cable will put some stress on the PCMCIA card. Im sure i can Duct-Tape a soloution, but i would like something a little more perminant.

If i can get a definate YES to weather the highrose jack works, then ill just build or buy a cable for it, otherwise, what other soloutions would i have?"

Great! It was unanswered on another forum, so you bring it over here and threadjack someone else's thread?

First, Go read all the rules in the welcome desk.

Second, start your own thread if you actually have a question that pertains to something related to this forum.
streaker69

Postby beakmyn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:03 am

a1anmurray wrote:you are all positively mad.

Trust me, I have been searching... I found wifidog which looks quite interesting........

Yes we are. Take a look Thorn's suggestions also. Now stick up your chin, and grin and say....
beakmyn

Postby fregniacciaro » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:22 am

nashr wrote:That's outstanding! I was thinking of a Photoshop for that image... but that wasn't it. Too bad my Photoshop skills suck. My idea was to put my own image on the spoon, in place of Neo. That would be a tough one to pull off effectively.

No time to work on it now, but I'll see what I can do this afternoon. I have a copy of your FBI badge from the other thread.
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby Starpoint » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:37 am

a1anmurray wrote:you are all positively mad.

Us? Mad? never!!! Evil maybe, certainly a few degrees off true north, DEFINATELY a few sandwiches shy of a picnic but we are not MAD
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby nashr » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:40 am

fregniacciaro wrote:No time to work on it now, but I'll see what I can do this afternoon. I have a copy of your FBI badge from the other thread.

Damn! I should have known that would come back to haunt me again. :eek:
nashr

Postby randomr8 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:43 am

This is a link for FreeRadius setup.
This step by step tutorial worked for me. Not sure about the Window suplicants. 'Course who uses Window?

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3557251
randomr8

Return to HotSpots