How to set up an Access Point?(WRT54G)

HotSpot here, HotSpot there. All you need to know about HotSpots

How to set up an Access Point?(WRT54G)

Postby shamrock365 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 pm

Hello,

I was thinking about buying a Linksys WRT54G and placing a Linux Firmware on it. However I was considering build an AP with it. Could anyone recommend a Linux Firmware that would be an "All in One" solution? I have found other "How too's" but they all use Radius. The AP would be outdoors and so an external/off site Radius server isnt viable.Any Suggestions?

Many Thanks
shamrock365
Mini Stumbler

Postby G8tK33per » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:01 pm

OpenWrt?
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby shamrock365 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:09 pm

I was considering it alright.Seems a pretty complex Linux distrobution.Would I be wrong in saying that? I have little experience in Linux Networking, more so in the Windows area.

Thanks for the suggestion however
shamrock365
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:19 pm

shamrock365 wrote:Hello,

I was thinking about buying a Linksys WRT54G and placing a Linux Firmware on it. However I was considering build an AP with it. Could anyone recommend a Linux Firmware that would be an "All in One" solution? I have found other "How too's" but they all use Radius. The AP would be outdoors and so an external/off site Radius server isnt viable.Any Suggestions?

Many Thanks

Huh ? You need to give more info, in order for your question making sense...
You want to "build an AP" with a WRT54G ? A WRT54G is an AP with a built in 4+1 port switch, and NAT+ firewall software, aka a WiFi Router.

A SWAG would be that you want to setup a WiFi hotspot. If you need any form of user access authentication, your best bet would be to run an external Radius server. Running such a thing on the WRT54G is futile. Read up on what Radius is, and what it needs and you'll see why.
Furthermore, even if the device will be located outdoor, you still need a link to the outside world, if you want to use it as a Hotspot device. In that case, your point about a Radius server is moot, since the Radius server can be located anywhere reachable on the local uplink, or even in another part of the world via the internet, as long as you can connect to it.

If you don't need any form of user access authentication, but just want a splash page, you can use any firmware that allows you to load NoCatSplash on it. OpenWRT is a good choice, if you are well versed in *nix operation.

Otherwise go with Portless Networks EWRT firmware, for an easier setup.

Both OpenWRT and EWRT will allow you to use Radius in conjunction with NoCatSplash, for authentication & possible accounting for billing purposes if you so wish.

But unless you provide more information on what you are trying to accomplish, all the above recommendations are just SWAG's.

Remember, the quality of replies you will get, is proportional to the quality of information you post in your request.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby MikeP928 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:19 pm

Dutch wrote:Huh ? You need to give more info, in order for your question making sense...
You want to "build an AP" with a WRT54G ? A WRT54G is an AP with a built in 4+1 port switch, and NAT+ firewall software, aka a WiFi Router.

<BIG SNIP>

Dutch

Well, G8t has a big bat, now Dutch is trying to catch up with him.

[ATTACH]5995[/ATTACH]

/Unplugs wireless connection and pulls on hardhat.

MikeP
Attachments
bigger spoon.GIF
bigger spoon.GIF (7.17 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
MikeP928

Postby DaKahuna » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:01 pm

shamrock365 wrote:Hello,

Many Thanks

Google is your friend but if you are really lazy, go find a book titled "Wireless Hacking; Projects for Wi-Fi Enthusiast" published by Syngress. The answers to all your questions, with pictures even, lie within.
DaKahuna

Postby Dutch » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:34 pm

MikeP928 wrote:Well, G8t has a big bat, now Dutch is trying to catch up with him.

[ATTACH]5995[/ATTACH]

/Unplugs wireless connection and pulls on hardhat.

MikeP

I blame it on the last bowl of Christmas Egnogg.. Didn't want it to go to waste, but in order to kill the germs causing the green skin on it, I had to spike the batch with half a bottle of Red Aalborg Akvavit. And Akvavit always mellows me out.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby shamrock365 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:27 am

Thanks, i'll go have a good search.I suppose on further thought its a "DIY style" Public Hotspot.

Many Thanks again
shamrock365
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:41 pm

You might want to search the Hotspot Forum, where this was just moved.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Barry » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 pm

You might also want to make sure you get a wrt that is linux flashable. The newest ones will only take the minimum linux that doesn't really give you any more than the stock linux firmware.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby shamrock365 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:42 am

Thanks a lot for the help. Much appreciated.

Shamrock365
shamrock365
Mini Stumbler

Return to HotSpots