injection-immune hotspots

HotSpot here, HotSpot there. All you need to know about HotSpots

injection-immune hotspots

Postby Aggabee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:12 am

So I've recently "stumbled" upon a bunch of new Actiontec hotspots that seem to be completely immune to packet injection. Even with an established client they do not accept injected packets of any kind. Either they reject ARP packets without prior traffic (even on open-authentication) or they reject packets with the same IV. Its kind of wierd that they are still putting effort into securing WEP instead of just switching over to WPA.
Aggabee
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:01 am

Aggabee wrote:So I've recently "stumbled" upon a bunch of new Actiontec hotspots that seem to be completely immune to packet injection. Even with an established client they do not accept injected packets of any kind. Either they reject ARP packets without prior traffic (even on open-authentication) or they reject packets with the same IV. Its kind of wierd that they are still putting effort into securing WEP instead of just switching over to WPA.

So, in other words, you've just admitted to attacking public Hotspots in a public forum frequented by LEO's and TLA's?

Way to go whackjob.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Monitr7 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:58 am

Aggabee wrote:So I've recently "stumbled" upon a bunch of new Actiontec hotspots that seem to be completely immune to packet injection.

So you say you "stumbled" upon them, eh? EEEEEH? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, knowwhatimean, saynomore?

Aggabee wrote:Its kind of wierd that they are still putting effort into securing WEP instead of just switching over to WPA.

Kinda "weird", eh? "Weird"? Knowwhatimean? So, uh, you been messing around with it, eh? "Injecting"? Right, right, say no MORE!
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Postby The Others » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:07 am

Monitr7 wrote:So you say you "stumbled" upon them, eh? EEEEEH? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, knowwhatimean, saynomore?

Kinda "weird", eh? "Weird"? Knowwhatimean? Eh? EEEEEEH? So, uh, you been messing around with it, eh? "Injecting"? Right, right, say no MORE!

Tip of the hat guvnor, say no more. Down the docks to see a man about a dog, know what I mean?
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Monitr7 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:35 am

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind man, knowwhatimean, nudge, nudge, wink, wink?

Your wife; she's a goer, eh? Woah. Wooooaah!
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Postby The Others » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:07 am

Gary lager! £20 saved is £20 earned. Trouble and strife with the old bread knife, know what I mean?
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Thorn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:11 am

Well now that you two are on speaking terms again, can we expect another show? And who has custody of Tony?
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby The Others » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:51 am

I'm going international tomorrow, but will back next week. We could always look into an amicable agreement regarding my appearance on a show at that point. As long as there's a victi, I mean guest, of course.

As for Tony, M7 still has him. I hope...
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Aggabee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:59 am

streaker69 wrote:So, in other words, you've just admitted to attacking public Hotspots in a public forum frequented by LEO's and TLA's?

three letter acronyms?
Aggabee
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 am

Aggabee wrote:three letter acronyms?

Yea, try searching them out. Call them up and tell them what you did. See if they have an answer for you.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Thorn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:19 am

Aggabee wrote:three letter acronyms?
[SIZE="4"]L[/SIZE]aw [SIZE="4"]E[/SIZE]nforcement [SIZE="4"]O[/SIZE]fficers and [SIZE="4"]T[/SIZE]hree [SIZE="4"]L[/SIZE]etter [SIZE="4"]A[/SIZE]]gencies. (FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.) There are a fair amount of the regulars here who qualify under one or the other classification.

You might want to read this notice.

In other words, you might want to smarten up before posting again, Bunky.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:28 am

Thorn wrote:[SIZE="4"]L[/SIZE]aw [SIZE="4"]E[/SIZE]nforcement [SIZE="4"]O[/SIZE]fficers and [SIZE="4"]T[/SIZE]hree [SIZE="4"]L[/SIZE]etter [SIZE="4"]A[/SIZE]]gencies. (FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.) There are a fair amount of the regulars here who qualify under one or the other classification.

You might want to read this notice.

In other words, you might want to smarten up before posting again, Bunky.

I thought the OP's name was Corky?
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Airstreamer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:30 am

Hey TO --> What ever happened to that camera?
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby Aggabee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 am

brwrdrvr wrote:Call them up and tell them what you did.

What did I do? I attempted to inject packets into a network and failed. I found out that WEP security may actually be better than it once was thought to be. And I thought that you guys, being the network security enthusiasts that you are, and considering that this entire site is DEDICATED TO WIRELESS SECURITY, might want to know. But I guess you guys are more interested in covering your own asses than learning something new.
Aggabee
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:12 am

Aggabee wrote:What did I do? I attempted to inject packets into a network and failed.
It appears from what you are saying that you attempted to do this on someone else's network, which is illegal.

Feel free to correct this impression if it's wrong.

Aggabee wrote:I found out that WEP security may actually be better than it once was thought to be.
That remains to be seen. You failed at an attempt to break into a WLAN. Period.

Your failure may be due to several factors. If you where doing this on a network you owned and/or controlled, then those factors would be known. As it is, it could be several different things from your conclusion (an AP which resists packet injection) ranging to your own incompetence. As it is the factors are either unknown, or unstated by you.

Aggabee wrote: And I thought that you guys, being the network security enthusiasts that you are, and considering that this entire site is DEDICATED TO WIRELESS SECURITY, might want to know. But I guess you guys are more interested in covering your own asses than learning something new.
It isn't a question about "covering our asses", it is a question about promoting illegal activities.

We are very interested in learning about new or unknown vulnerabilities, but it has to be done properly and ethically. That means doing things under controlled conditions on WLANs that we own or at least have permission to access and experiment on. It doesn't mean going out and committing crimes as part of the experimentation.
Thorn
Thorn

Next

Return to HotSpots