What do you think of this?

HotSpot here, HotSpot there. All you need to know about HotSpots

What do you think of this?

Postby scdako » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Found this article on Cnet. Had some disagreements with it. What do you guys think of it? Comments?
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-6212563-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

Also check out the comment under the talkback on the bottom that has the title Dangerous Recommendation
"Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google."
scdako

Postby Psychoboy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:02 pm

scdako wrote:Found this article on Cnet. Had some disagreements with it. What do you guys think of it? Comments?
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-6212563-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

Also check out the comment under the talkback on the bottom that has the title Dangerous Recommendation

The general idea behind the article I sorta like. But the means this guy is talking about I don't agree with. You can't take teh average consumer and let them have their network open for everyone. That's just asking for security trouble. Then another part of the article:

3. Where there's paid Wi-Fi, look elsewhere for free solutions
Many businesses that offer paid Wi-Fi exist in Wi-Fi-dense environments where there might just be a free signal nearby. Get a good Wi-Fi signal scanner (I use Netstumbler) to find open access points. The signal might not be as strong as the one on the cafe's ceiling, but at least you won't have to pay through the nose to use it.

Note that if you use unknown access points, you really need a good software firewall, such as our Editors' Choice pick from Trend Micro. You can also learn more about firewalls in our course, Firewall Basics.

I totally do not agree with. And in a lot of states is completely illegal.

well thats my $0.02
Psychoboy
Mini Stumbler

Return to HotSpots