Airport extreme card is not in the mood to work

Airport extreme card is not in the mood to work

Postby hypocrite » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:04 am

Hi all!

I'm new to WLAN and the only device I have is an Airport extreme card in a Powerbook 12". I'm more interessted to use it "on the road" than at home. Macosx and the airport stuff is up to date. I installed macstumbler, istumbler and kismac (newest versions as well).
First I made a quick test in the applestore. The drop-down-menue showed me the airport-base. That was actually the last connect at all. I wardrived around to see what macstumbler would find. Nothing. Same with istumbler. I went to a friend with an AP. He opened up WLAN (no encryption, just open for a while), but I still found nothing. Next I installed kismac. I know that this SW has its own drivers (three?). I rebooted tried all of these drivers. I wondered that I could not see any kextmodule except the Airport one from Apple. I tried mac- and istumbler again. Nothing. I also wondered to see nothing important in /var/log/system.log.
Had somebody similar problems and can give me a hint? Thanks a lot for helping or pushing me in the right direction!
TIA,
h.
hypocrite
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:36 am

Does macstumbler even work with the extreme cards? Kismac only works in active with it. Try rebooting the laptop, should give you wireless back.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Still confused.

Postby hypocrite » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:24 am

Hi!

Thanks for answering!
Does macstumbler *not* work with extreme cards? What means it works only in active? I tried so much including many reboots, but nothing solved the problem. After a week playing around with it I'm still not sure whether it is a HW or SW issue. Maybe everything is more and more confused now. My fitrst atempt was attaching a D-link usb-wlan-adapter. I still have the SW installed without knowing how to get rid of it again.
Any ideas?

h.
hypocrite
Mini Stumbler

It was a passing fancy!

Postby hypocrite » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:29 am

Hi!

I found it! After trying to connenct a brand new dlink AP I saw that the signal was very bad just one meter away. I removed the power pack and checked the card and antenna. The latter was not pluged in proper. First I didn't dare to practise so much pressure. I mean everything is tiny and very expensive...
However, I hope this helps somebody.
cheers,
h.
hypocrite
Mini Stumbler

Return to Mac OS