ant. for 12" powerbook?

ant. for 12" powerbook?

Postby rollincatera » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:30 pm

does anyone out there have a 12" powerbook with an external ant. hooked up to it? i need one for my car and could use suggestions/ideas!

thanks in advance,
rollincatera
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:46 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't attach an external without a lot of modification to the laptop. It's pretty easy to do with the older ti's but I'm not even sure you can get pigtails that will fit the new wireless card.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby rollincatera » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:05 pm

bummer...

so i'm stuck using the internal ant. only? what do you use on your setup?
rollincatera
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:11 pm

I have the origional 400mhz ti overclocked to 500mhz. Pulled the ir emiter and attached a blade antenna to the airport card thru there.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrywoods/PhotoAlbum18.html
Barry

Postby rollincatera » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:13 pm

hey barry i wasnt able to find that avitar on these forums? are we allowed to us custom avitars?
rollincatera
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:28 pm

It's the apple on my powerbook. We can add our own avitars after 200 posts.
Barry

Postby rollincatera » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:17 am

great thanks for the info
rollincatera
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:35 am

Good luck getting the 17' apart. We don't even do it at work, we send them in to Apple, let them replace the parts they break. I'm pretty sure you're in the same boat as rollincatera, you have the same mini-pci card. Don't know if you can get a pigtail. As for the emmiter, don't know will have to look it up to see if you can. Ahh, I wouldn't suggest taking it apart, You have to pretty much take it completly down to component level to get the mobo out, then you need replacement thermal pads, ah pm me you're email addy and I'll send you the manual.
Barry

Xternal antenna for the 12"powerbook G4

Postby XJ40pilot » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:19 pm

Xternal antenna for the 12"powerbook G4

What you need is the original electronic nuts and GEEKS, They are called Hammers, Ham Radio operators, It is very EZ to make a passive repeater that clips on to the edge of the screen. It picks up the signal from the antenna running up the edge of the screen and ( repeats ) the signal out the attached antenna, all without an actual hard connection, The key is the signal wave length and after all the only problem is the close proximity to the Aluminum case. Find a Ham operator and Make His Day by showing him he is still usefull He (or she) can make you one in about 10 min, a nice one in about 30 min
also a Very minor mod to the battery flange can be done to accomidate a extra antenna pigtail if you can get a mac tech to get you one. You would run the wire out a small notch in the battery flange . use a file to make the notch 1/16" then you only need to connect the antenna to the pig tail. and the pig tail to the card as normal . If you can use a solidering iron , Great. If not , see a hammer :cool:
XJ40pilot
Mini Stumbler

please explain!

Postby solemnity » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:31 pm

I know this thread is old but can we pick this up? I have a powerbook 12" and I would love to make a passive repeater that clips to the screen. Does anyone know how to do this? Any advice for a 12" powerbook is appreciated.
solemnity
Mini Stumbler

Return to Mac OS