Any Apple alternatives?

Any Apple alternatives?

Postby AlyssaTX » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:29 am

I keep seing war driving and similar type of wireless events on TV and I keep seing people use IBOOKS! Well I have an IBOOK with a wireless card but I have yet to find what these people are using for the mac.

Please help if anyone knows of any apple alternative software

Thanks a bunch guys :)
AlyssaTX
Mini Stumbler

Re: Any Apple alternatives?

Postby blackwave » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:43 am

Originally posted by AlyssaTX
Please help if anyone knows of any apple alternative software
Thanks a bunch guys :)

you have korben's macstumbler, which is pretty slick, currently it does not have gps support, but we are trying to get him to put it in and have a common export format ;)

http://homepage.mac.com/macstumbler/

and kismet has linux ppc support
http://www.kismetwireless.net/
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby Nokia » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:45 am

Got an extra GPS device laying around yer not using? Donate it to korben so MacStumbler can have GPS support ;) korben@cox.net hehehe
Nokia
Mini Stumbler

thank you blackwave

Postby AlyssaTX » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:02 pm

Thank you so much blackwave, be on the look out for a blonde girl walking around pointing her ibook everywhere like a madwoman :)
AlyssaTX
Mini Stumbler

Re: thank you blackwave

Postby blackwave » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:22 pm

Thank you so much blackwave, be on the look out for a blonde girl walking around pointing her ibook everywhere like a madwoman :)

During the OC Worldwide WarDrive Korben opened up his iBook and checked to see if the pigtail connector was the same as his iBook connection for his built in antenna and it was, from then we were thinking about how to route a pigtail through his modem port up and around to be able to fit into without too much modification... though I don't think he liked the idea of having a large N-Type adapter dangling from his iBook... but the iBook is nice for stumbling, great power usage, though for the antenna he sometimes needed to point his laptop to an AP that I was getting from my external to hit it. (hence why he was interested in adding an external antenna)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Re: Re: thank you blackwave

Postby Thunderforge » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:39 pm

Originally posted by blackwave

During the OC Worldwide WarDrive [B]Korben
opened up his iBook and checked to see if the pigtail connector was the same as his iBook connection for his built in antenna and it was[/B]

That's odd. The ORiNOCO spec on the MiniPCI card (AirPort card) said the FCC required it not be a readily available socket.
Back to the forge,
TF
Thunderforge
Mini Stumbler

Postby damage » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:12 pm

I geuss it depends on what you consider readily available... you have to release 3 clips and lift up the keybaord to get to it... pretty easy for your averagely competant user but not so easy for you typical iBook target audience.
damage
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thunderforge » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:07 pm

The direct quote from the ORiNOCO spec says, "The connectors are mechanically unique such that no off-the-shelf connector will fit (FCC requirement)."

The antenna overview for the MiniPCI card can be seen in: http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2562&perpage=15&highlight=connector&pagenumber=2
Back to the forge,
TF
Thunderforge
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:19 pm

Originally posted by Thunderforge
The direct quote from the ORiNOCO spec says

yeah we compared the connectors and they were identical, and the pigtail I got from fab-corp fit in just as the one on the iBook. :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby Thorn » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:22 pm

The FCC doesn't want your average joe to be able to go into RatShack, buy a connector, hook up the laptop to his TV arial, and broadcast WiFi over 30 square blocks. That's all. Hence the regulation that the connector not be "readily available."

BTW, rumor has it, according to a wireless info group I belong to, that the FCC has told WiFi manuafacturers to get rid or otherwise change the more common connectors, such as the ORiNOCO's. Seems that they are becoming too "readily available."

Technically, there are probably quite a few people out there who are illegal.

For instance:
-Antennae and cards are required to be certified to work together as a system. Yes, you can't legally swap antennae for a different one unless it is certifed by the card/AP maker.
-Installations of other than the original equipment are supposed to be done by a "professional installer."
-Homemade antennae are a no-no, unless you've got a ham license.

There's more. To increase your paranoia level, check out Part 15 of the FCC regs.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby damage » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:04 pm

So do we all turn ourselves in now ?

I've already bolted the doors nailed planks to the windows, pissed off the dog so it bites anyone who breathes wrong and transferred all my cash into offshore accounts in case I need to make a run for it.

Paranoid...me... who told you that !!!!!
damage
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:27 pm

Originally posted by damage
So do we all turn ourselves in now ?

I've already bolted the doors nailed planks to the windows, pissed off the dog so it bites anyone who breathes wrong and transferred all my cash into offshore accounts in case I need to make a run for it.

Paranoid...me... who told you that !!!!!

I hope you transferred all that cash to the account number I gave you. Very safe. Trust me. :D

And I think paranoia is a requirement here. But what a minute... You're REALLY PARANOID if you're in Oz and you're worried about the FCC. :)

Now, we can discuss the conspriacy theories involving Australia. Lone Pine, isn't it?
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby damage » Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:48 pm

He He Pine Gap... they tell us it's just a radio base... honest ;)
damage
Mini Stumbler

Postby joshua » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:44 pm

For my iBOOK I just had it so the pigtail came out the top and I didn't "plug" the keyboard back in place, so it kind of left the keyboard loppy.. but who needs a keyboard while warDriving? :)
six6.nu
joshua

Re: thank you blackwave

Postby khel » Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:29 pm

OK, you asked for it :-) (taking my ipaq, antenna, putting on my boots, and going out.... hmm, did I forget anything? )
:D
khel
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Mac OS