Anyone using an Orinoco 8470-WD?

Anyone using an Orinoco 8470-WD?

Postby jimmyh » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:02 am

I recently bought the Buffalo card before reading c{rey}c's post and I made the same discovery he did. I'm not going to remove my airport card to use the buffalo, so it's going back to Amazon.

For Attempt #2, I'm about to buy an Orinoco 8470-WD.
Does the Orinoco 8470-WD capture at G rates?
Does it operate in Passive mode?
What's a good pigtail to get for the card?

It seems the answer to the first two is 'yes', but I'd like confirmation (i see lots of references to Orinoco Gold cards, but there are lots of differently spec'd card with that name). My gear is a Powerbook 15" 1.5GHz, latest Tiger, latest KisMAC.

Ideally I want a PC Card that will work in passive with Kismac at high speed with an external antenna connector. I don't want much, eh?

Any reply appreciated.
jimmyh
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:02 pm

jimmyh wrote:I recently bought the Buffalo card before reading c{rey}c's post and I made the same discovery he did. I'm not going to remove my airport card to use the buffalo, so it's going back to Amazon.

For Attempt #2, I'm about to buy an Orinoco 8470-WD.
Does the Orinoco 8470-WD capture at G rates?

Is it a "G" card? Why the need for "G" capture rates?

Does it operate in Passive mode?

What do the docs for the app you want to use say?

What's a good pigtail to get for the card?

One that actually works with the card!

It seems the answer to the first two is 'yes', but I'd like confirmation (i see lots of references to Orinoco Gold cards, but there are lots of differently spec'd card with that name). My gear is a Powerbook 15" 1.5GHz, latest Tiger, latest KisMAC.

Ideally I want a PC Card that will work in passive with Kismac at high speed with an external antenna connector. I don't want much, eh?

Any reply appreciated.
wrzwaldo

Postby Barry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:27 pm

Get a "Classic Gold" It will work in monitor mode with kismac. Use the pigtails that you need. You can get them from fab-corp. There's no such thing as high speed capturing.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Return to Mac OS