disabling SSID broadcast slows bandwidth

disabling SSID broadcast slows bandwidth

Postby papito1 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:50 pm

I have a Linksys WRT54GS and a Powerbook G3 (Pismo) with Airport card (802.11b).
I noticed that my bandwidth drops when I disable broadcasting the SSID of my wireless router. I get an average of 3.8 to 4.1 Mbps when not broadcasting the SSID and an average of 5.9 to 6.1 Mbps when I turn SSID broadcasting on. Can anyone explain if this is normal and why it happens. I would rather have the SSID off to prevent snoopers even though I have other security measures in place.
papito1
Mini Stumbler

Postby daedalus04 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:08 pm

Be sure to make good use of the search function and sticky posts. You would be surprised at how many answers are already posted. If you check this FAQ, item 5 has the following to say:

5. Consider disabling Automatic SSID Broadcast. This may cause performance problems for those with a multiple AP setup for fast roaming. This may also cause problems for businesses running VoIP on 802.11. However, this will help make your WLAN less likely to be discovered to the casual wireless user.

Thorn posted it originally, and may have the answers as to "why" it does this.

Hope this helped a little.

-Daedalus
daedalus04
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:24 pm

Yes, it's normal. That type of thing is the reason I no longer advocate turning off the SSID response to the probes. "Hiding" the SSID is false security, and causes issues such as what you're seeing. The AP still broadcasts the SSID about 10 times per second, which means passive 802.11 scanners find you just as quickly as active scanners. The AP just no longer responds to broadcast probes.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to Mac OS