Help w/MacOSX, KisMac and Garmin

Help w/MacOSX, KisMac and Garmin

Postby asutherland » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:09 pm

I've been a lurker on these forums for some time :)

I'm currently running a Powerbook G4 (with builtin airport) and Kismac.

As far as scanning etc, everything works just fine. My question has to do with GPS integration. I've done a LOT of searching and reading on Google, and still cannot find what I'm looking for, and am hoping a genius Netstumbler member could assist me ;)

I have a Garmin GPS18 USB Puck http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/
It used to work great on my WinXP laptop with Netstumbler and Streets and Trips. Now I have a Mac (for other reasons)

Garmin has made press announcements saying they will be supporting MacOSX with their Usb Gps devices, but that announcement was made years ago :( with no updates. I've contacted them several times, and they say they do not yet support it.

HOWEVER - I know that this particular GPS usb puck can use the NMEA (I think I got the acronm right there) standard, if used in conjunction with a program like Fransson GPS Gate. I cannot seem to find something that will allow OSX to use it.

Can someone Plllllleeease help? :) Essentially I would love to be able to map out open wireless networks on a map using Kismac, but my first and primary use is for using it with a navigation system.

thank you a lot in advance for any assistance!:D
asutherland
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:14 pm

Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby asutherland » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:17 pm

streaker69 wrote:http://www.macgpspro.com/

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

I';ve checked this out before and tried it, it doesn't seem to recognise the device. Not sure why. In the list of compat. devices it says GPS 18PC is supported, but it looks as if they are referring to the serial gps with a usb-serial convertor. I have the actual USB version. (not that I could see there being a difference... but...)
asutherland
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:20 pm

Try here. I use a etrex with kismac, I've not been able to get a pure usb gps to work. Nice avatar by the way. :)
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby asutherland » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Barry wrote:Try here. I use a etrex with kismac, I've not been able to get a pure usb gps to work. Nice avatar by the way. :)

Why thank you :) I saw yours, and thought What a good idea... dropped by the Kismac site and got it from there.

thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I get home and post my results here!
asutherland
Mini Stumbler

Postby asutherland » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 am

Streaker69,

I emailed the MacGPS Pro support, and got a response back:

Dr Lawrence W James wrote:
show details 9:33 pm (10 hours ago)

MacGPS Pro has its own built-in USB driver which will allow you to read real-time GPS data from the GPS 18 USB device. But that data will only be readable by MacGPS Pro. MacGPS Pro does not provide a driver that you can use with Kismac, MacStumbler, or any other Mac program. MacGPS Pro is for topo maps and such, it is not a street navigation program.
asutherland
Mini Stumbler

Postby DaKahuna » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:13 pm

I am using a BU-303 USB GPS puck with Kismac on a PowerBook G4 and with MacBook Pro. Prolific USB-Serial recognizes it and I have not had any issues.
DaKahuna

Postby gm2net » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:13 am

Personally, I'd get a BU-353, and not worry about the GPS-18 - I can't find much about getting it working.

You'd probably want to get it going in gpsd for KisMac - there's really no other way :)
gm2net
Mini Stumbler

Postby asutherland » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:38 am

gm2net wrote:Personally, I'd get a BU-353, and not worry about the GPS-18 - I can't find much about getting it working.

You'd probably want to get it going in gpsd for KisMac - there's really no other way :)

Yeah, after spending -too- much time on this I may just do that.

So you think the BU-353 would be the best "Gps puck" for this use? All I want it for is real-time navigation on my powerbook. Kismac for some wifi point mapping, and a driving assistant like Streets & Trips.

Speaking of which, what do you guys suggest for a OSX alternative to MS Streets and Trips? I need something with directions from point a-b, on a "road-map" style for driving directions.
asutherland
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:19 am

asutherland wrote:Yeah, after spending -too- much time on this I may just do that.

So you think the BU-353 would be the best "Gps puck" for this use? All I want it for is real-time navigation on my powerbook. Kismac for some wifi point mapping, and a driving assistant like Streets & Trips.

Speaking of which, what do you guys suggest for a OSX alternative to MS Streets and Trips? I need something with directions from point a-b, on a "road-map" style for driving directions.

Good luck with that. Right now the only good alternative is Route-66, and it sucks.
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:28 am

Barry wrote:Good luck with that. Right now the only good alternative is Route-66, and it sucks.

<GASP> So you're saying there's something that a PC can do better than a MAC? Don't let the Jobster hear you say that, he'll have you sent to MacHell.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Barry » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:53 am

streaker69 wrote:<GASP> So you're saying there's something that a PC can do better than a MAC? Don't let the Jobster hear you say that, he'll have you sent to MacHell.

Well only if you think Streets and Trips is a good program. I know half the streets addresses are wrong for my area in it.
Barry

Postby Dutch » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:31 pm

Barry wrote:Well only if you think Streets and Trips is a good program. I know half the streets addresses are wrong for my area in it.

You do realize that if S&T had been a Apple program made under the auspices of Steve Jobs just before he was ousted from Apple way back when.. Then he would have insisted that it wasn't S&T that was wrong, but your area... Since in those days he was infallible according to himself and the Apple Evangelists..:o

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby Barry » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Dutch wrote:You do realize that if S&T had been a Apple program made under the auspices of Steve Jobs just before he was ousted from Apple way back when.. Then he would have insisted that it wasn't S&T that was wrong, but your area... Since in those days he was infallible according to himself and the Apple Evangelists..:o

Dutch

Yea, you're probably right. Though at the time I was a little too young to be into computers.
Barry

Postby asutherland » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:16 pm

So there ISN'T an OSX compatible program similar to S&T?:(
asutherland
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Mac OS