iBook

iBook

Postby Irish llama » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:38 am

Is there any companys that make atenna's and such for ibooks?

any help would be great.
Irish llama
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:44 am

Not without modding the laptop.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:14 pm

Barry wrote:Not without modding the laptop.

I just happen to be disassembling an older iBook right now. Won't turn on, but that's another matter.

Under the keyboard is what appears to be a PCMCIA slot and a connector (MC) for an antenna.

I guess it depends upon the model but it appears as though this one has an antenna built in. Don't know really I'm not a Mac person.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:05 pm

That's where the airport card goes. Without drilling holes in the case, you can't add an external ant. The antenna in an iBook is behind the screen. They actually get pretty good reception, unlike the old ti-books.
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:06 pm

streaker69 wrote:I just happen to be disassembling an older iBook right now. Won't turn on, but that's another matter.

I'm not a Mac person.

If you have any q's just pm me, I am a mac person. Certified and all. :cool:
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:06 pm

If I can get this thing to work, then I think I'll get an Airport card for it. Being a well rounded person, I should probably know something about MAC's.

I do have a question, just in case there is some MAC people in the audience.

Anyone ever open one of these things? I don't know which model it is off the top of my head, it's a white one, with iBook and the apple logo on the back of the screen. It doesn't turn on, apparently no power. It came to me with a broken power adaptor, the plug was broken beyond repair. I got a new adaptor for it, still doesn't turn on. I have a feeling the small circuit board the adaptor plugs into is blown out.

I haven't done any probing around with the DVM yet to see what's where, but anyone know if that's a common part to blow out?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Irish llama » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:15 pm

I saw a Diagram of some one Running the pigtail out of the rear grill, would this work?

(w/o voiding meh apple care of course)
Irish llama
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:14 pm

pm me the serial, I'll help you out.
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:15 pm

Irish llama wrote:I saw a Diagram of some one Running the pigtail out of the rear grill, would this work?

(w/o voiding meh apple care of course)

The hard part is getting the connector thru the grill. I'm pretty sure they fed a bare cable thru and then added a connector.
Barry

iBook Alternatives

Postby hamslam » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:17 am

Hey I am new to the forum and was browsing for signal boosting options for my new g4 Ibook. It appears external antennas are not an easy option. Can I replace my airport extreme card with something stronger? I only need about a 20% signal boost

-- any advice MUCH appreciated

cheer
hamslam
Mini Stumbler

Postby The Others » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:22 am

hamslam wrote:Hey I am new to the forum and was browsing for signal boosting options for my new g4 Ibook. It appears external antennas are not an easy option. Can I replace my airport extreme card with something stronger? I only need about a 20% signal boost

-- any advice MUCH appreciated

cheer

Yeah, try this hack:

Move closer.

Thank you, and thank Mr White, for being the genius that thought of it in the first place.
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby gavin8or » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:49 am

Hrm really nice I think that guy decided to stick around on the forum because it was so helpful. If anyone else knows of any iBook hacks (links would be great) please post it up. I'm thinking about going back to linux/iBook heaven.
gavin8or

Postby The Others » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:10 am

gavin8or wrote:Hrm really nice I think that guy decided to stick around on the forum because it was so helpful. If anyone else knows of any iBook hacks (links would be great) please post it up. I'm thinking about going back to linux/iBook heaven.

Well, that's the second time in two days that some folk's had the bright idea to call me up on something I wrote months a go (in this case, years).

I've got an idea... How about you don't bother?
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby G8tK33per » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:14 am

gavin8or wrote:Hrm really nice I think that guy decided to stick around on the forum because it was so helpful. If anyone else knows of any iBook hacks (links would be great) please post it up. I'm thinking about going back to linux/iBook heaven.

Bye. Crybaby.
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Return to Mac OS