Is Proxim Orinoco Gold the best wirless adapter for Mac OS for passive scanning?

Is Proxim Orinoco Gold the best wirless adapter for Mac OS for passive scanning?

Postby MuscleNerd » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:16 pm

I own a PowerPC G4 and plan to buy a wireless adapter card to do some passive scanning with Kismac. I have read in previous posts that the Proxim Orinoco Gold ( is this the Combo Gold Card or the World PC Gold Card?) does well with passive scanning. At what retail stores do they sell the Proxim Orinoco? I checked out OfficeMax and Target and they both don't have it. I would like to see if I can buy it at a retail store before I buy it online.
MuscleNerd

Postby Thorn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:24 pm

MuscleNerd wrote:... At what retail stores do they sell the Proxim Orinoco? I checked out OfficeMax and Target and they both don't have it. I would like to see if I can buy it at a retail store before I buy it online.
For whatever reason, you'll sooner find the Holy Grail at most retailers than find a Proxim/ORiNOCO card.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

So does that mean I should buy it online?

Postby MuscleNerd » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:44 pm

So does that mean I should buy it online? What type do you own? The World PC Gold or the Combo Gold?
MuscleNerd

Postby Barry » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:29 pm

If you happen to have an old graphite airport base station laying around, snag the card out of it. It's an Orinoco Silver card, works great with Kismac.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Proxim Orinoco Gold

Postby MuscleNerd » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:01 pm

No, it's to bad that I don't have an old graphite airport base station.

Do you have to install anything, like drivers ,before you insert the card in the laptop?
MuscleNerd

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:45 pm

MuscleNerd wrote:No, it's to bad that I don't have an old graphite airport base station.

Do you have to install anything, like drivers ,before you insert the card in the laptop?

As long as you are using it with Kismac then no. The drivers are built into the program. If you want to use it to connect instead of the extreme card then you need to buy!!! the drivers. No free non-airport card drivers that work with os x.

You never really said which laptop you have, the latest version of Kismac R76, has passive drivers for the extreme card built in, it already does passive with the old airport card. You have to compile the new version yourself though.
Barry

How do you get the lastest version of Kismac and compile it yourself?

Postby MuscleNerd » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:54 pm

I do have the extreme card built in. So how do I compile the new version of Kismac and run it?
MuscleNerd

Postby Barry » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:34 pm

MuscleNerd wrote:I do have the extreme card built in. So how do I compile the new version of Kismac and run it?

It takes some doing, but the instructions are here.

http://www.freelists.org/archives/kismac/10-2005/msg00036.html
Barry

I have never compiled before

Postby MuscleNerd » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:44 pm

I'm new to this. Is there an easier way to get the new version of Kismac without having to compile it? Like someone posting the new version of Kismac that they compiled online so that people can download it and not have to worry about compiling it themselves.
MuscleNerd

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:22 pm

MuscleNerd wrote:I'm new to this. Is there an easier way to get the new version of Kismac without having to compile it? Like someone posting the new version of Kismac that they compiled online so that people can download it and not have to worry about compiling it themselves.

Don't think so.
Barry

Postby G8tK33per » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Again...enough. Figure it out, junior.
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Return to Mac OS