Kismac CRASHING

Kismac CRASHING

Postby Agusta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:15 am

I just got a Proxim Orinoco Gold 11b/g PC card (8470-WD) for my powerbook 1.33. I downloaded and payed for the driver from http://www.orangeware.com and it seemed to be working fine with a small blade antenna I have. Kismac is my problem, I've tried versions .10a to .12a and .12 seems to work the longest, but then it just crashes. It finds many networks and I am able to look at the traffic charts, but it usually crashes after about 20 seconds. Anyone have a similiar problem, or know what is up? Thank you very much.
Agusta
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:39 am

Agusta wrote:I just got a Proxim Orinoco Gold 11b/g PC card (8470-WD) for my powerbook 1.33. I downloaded and payed for the driver from http://www.orangeware.com and it seemed to be working fine with a small blade antenna I have. Kismac is my problem, I've tried versions .10a to .12a and .12 seems to work the longest, but then it just crashes. It finds many networks and I am able to look at the traffic charts, but it usually crashes after about 20 seconds. Anyone have a similiar problem, or know what is up? Thank you very much.

Tried the Kismac site?

http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/

P.S. If you get ahold of Mick tell him he spelled crypto wrong.
wrzwaldo

Postby Agusta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:19 am

I've looked around there, I wish they had a forum. They recommend the driver from orangeware....so I'm trying to sort this out.
Agusta
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:34 am

Agusta wrote:I've looked around there, I wish they had a forum. They recommend the driver from orangeware....so I'm trying to sort this out.

From the Kismac page...

If there are some things that you need to talk to someone in real time: You will be probably able to find some one on irc.freenode.net in channel #KisMAC from now on.

Also from the Kismac page...

Please note: This program is not intended for novices, but for professional users. Take this as a warning.

Or you could just sit there and shit in one hand while wishing in the other and see which one fills up quicker.

What is the FCC ID of that proxim card?
wrzwaldo

Postby Barry » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:12 am

Agusta wrote:I just got a Proxim Orinoco Gold 11b/g PC card (8470-WD) for my powerbook 1.33. I downloaded and payed for the driver from http://www.orangeware.com and it seemed to be working fine with a small blade antenna I have. Kismac is my problem, I've tried versions .10a to .12a and .12 seems to work the longest, but then it just crashes. It finds many networks and I am able to look at the traffic charts, but it usually crashes after about 20 seconds. Anyone have a similiar problem, or know what is up? Thank you very much.

Why the hell did you pay for a driver!!?? Kismac has built in drivers that work with the orinoco cards.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Agusta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:11 pm

Hey, the FCC id is HZB-G11FNFPC.

Barry, I uninstalled the driver, and tried to use the kismac one, but it still gave me an error message when i tried to scan. Then when I say "ok" and try to quit kismac, I get a "grey screen of death" telling me to hold the power button to restart my mac.

I realize it is an advanced program, I'm just trying to learn. I figure asking experts is a good way, I did a lot of searching first.

I will check out the irc channel, thank you.
Agusta
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Wierd, I've had mine run for a whole weekend with no problems, did get hot though.
Barry

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:47 pm

Agusta wrote:Hey, the FCC id is HZB-G11FNFPC.

Barry, I uninstalled the driver, and tried to use the kismac one, but it still gave me an error message when i tried to scan. Then when I say "ok" and try to quit kismac, I get a "grey screen of death" telling me to hold the power button to restart my mac.

I realize it is an advanced program, I'm just trying to learn. I figure asking experts is a good way, I did a lot of searching first.

I will check out the irc channel, thank you.

supported hardware chipsets

* Apple Airport
* Lucent Hermes I & II (Orinoco 2 and 11MBit)
* Intersil Prism 2, 2.5, 3 in PCMCIA and USB devices
* Cisco Aironet (with older 4.xx firmware)
* Intersil PrismGT (with newest SVN version)

Your cards looks to be Atheros.
wrzwaldo

Postby Agusta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:34 pm

Yes, I have been using the atheros driver.
Barry, what version of kismac are you running? Do you have the same card? Thanks guys.
Agusta
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:59 pm

Agusta wrote:Yes, I have been using the atheros driver.
Barry, what version of kismac are you running? Do you have the same card? Thanks guys.

Is Atheros supported? Don't look like it according to their "supported chipset list".
wrzwaldo

Postby Agusta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:00 pm

Yeah it is, it even says my card is Verified working.
Agusta
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:04 pm

Agusta wrote:Yeah it is, it even says my card is Verified working.

There is a big difference between "working" and "supported". Unsupported hardware generally causes abnormal behaviors (like crashing).
wrzwaldo

Postby Agusta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:52 pm

Ok, it says,
"Proxim Orinoco b/g 00:20:A6:D2 Atheros Verified! Supported in passive mode. KisMAC >= 0.08a"
Agusta
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:37 pm

Agusta wrote:Yes, I have been using the atheros driver.

I'm using .11b. I'm using the origional gold card though, not yours, so that might be part of it. Shoot Mick a quick e-mail, he might be able to help you.
Barry

Postby Agusta » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:46 pm

I sent him an email this morning. However, I have some good news. Fumbling with the prefs, I changed the hopping freq to 1 sec instead of the default .25 secs. Amazingly it seems to be a lot more stable, like .25 was to quick for the card. It has been scanning and collecting packets for about 3 min now, and that is a record! I'll let you know how it goes, thank you very much for the help.
Agusta
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Mac OS