Kismet with a D-Link DWL-122 USb Module!

Kismet with a D-Link DWL-122 USb Module!

Postby kr3mliyn » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:02 pm

Sorry if I mislead any one, but I figured the FULL truth would be dismissed as rootless n00b13 questions. :rolleyes:

Anywho...

iBook G4 12' with Airport Extreme. No good for Passive Sniffing (yet...).
Purchased a D-Link DWL-122. Works a treat with KisMAC for practically everything (although Injections a little buggy).

I'm lead to believe that Kismet supports (vanilla) Airport through the use of DopeSquads Viha drivers and Airport has a Hermes chipset.

Quick Question: - Does KisMAC support USB Prism 2 devices through MacJack? And if so, is there a way to expand/increase the worth of the DWL-122.. and other USB Based Prism 2 devices.

Clues and references in aid of my "quest" could benefit more than just us poor PCMCIA-less Mac Hac's (PowerBook G4 15'', ORiNOCO Gold card for Injection and a Prism 2 USB Module for sniffing!)

If anyone could give me any feedback on this subject it'd be much appreciated.
kr3mliyn

Postby Kronk » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:02 am

The macjack driver is part of Kismac and used for Prism 2 based wireless devices. I am guessing since the Dlink adapter is prism based, it is supported by the macjack driver.
Kronk
Mini Stumbler

Macjack? Cool! But...

Postby kr3mliyn » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:45 am

...has anyone actually managed to use the MacJack driver with any other Mac OS X application? I mean, can the MacJack driver assign a USB based Prism module as a network device under OS X (i.e. en1, en2, etc)?

I was thinking of how to compile Kismet under OS X without NIC (network interface card) support, so that I could just pipe the packet dumps from kismet to it (e.g. tcpdump -r KisMAC.pcap | kismet -blah, sorry 'bout the pseudo shellage, haven't used Kismet much...).

Also, Ettercap has an offline read from pcap dump mode which doesn't seem to play nice on Mac OS X 10.3.5. Installed through Darwin Ports, would there be a way of using my thoereticised (sic) method?

Thanks for the feedback Kronk!
kr3mliyn

Return to Mac OS