Mapping, Kismac or Route 66? HELP!!!

Mapping, Kismac or Route 66? HELP!!!

Postby HardRockCamaro@ » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:28 am

I've just started WarDriving and I'm getting some good results as there seem to be loads of AP's in my area, I'm finding about 100-200 an hour wherever I drive.

I like using MacStumbler but it has no mapping facility so I thought I'd use Kismac.
I have no problems running it but I just can't seem to get the mapping to work properly.
I went to streetmap.co.uk which on maximum zoom produces maps out of standard sized squares. I pasted these together in Photoshop perfectly to create a large map (as streetmap only displays a small area at a time, 3x3 grid of said squares).
I saved a 10 x 10 grid as a jpeg and loaded it into Kismac.

But the instructions for Kismac are a bit strange. It has 3 menu options, Set Current Position, Set Waypoint 1, Set Waypoint 2.
The instructions say, with GPS working, you should choose "Set Waypoint 1" from the menu and click ointhe map where you know you are right now. Drive a distance and then click "Set Waypoint 1" (again???) and click on the map where you are now. And Kismac will then know the scale of the map. This makes no sense to me and anyway it plain doesn't work as using the "Show current position" option gives the red dot flying all over the page.
I'm getting a good GPS signal as the route tracking on the Etrex matches up perfectly to real life.

So I tried it by setting Waypoint 1 and then Waypoint 2, instead of Waypoint 1 twice. This gave a better result but very quickly the position on the map becomes well off. So it's nowhere near accurate enough.

What am I doing wrong?

Also in Kismac what setting should I use for the No Fix option? I chose last known co-ordinates?

I read something in the Etrex manual about the map datum or something and the setting in the Etrex need to match this (it assumes you're using a paper map of course).

Or should I just buy Route 66 Britain and use that instead and use its pushpins facility?
If I do how do I get the data out of MacStumbler or Kismac and into Route 66? Surely I don't need to enter in each one by hand?

What do you guys do to create stret maps with AP's marked (colour coded by WEP or NO and with the SSID as a label)?

My setup is:

Apple iBook 12" G4 800, 640MB, OS 10.3.5
Keyspan USB to Serial adapter
Garmin Etrex
HardRockCamaro@
Mini Stumbler

Postby HardRockCamaro@ » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:59 am

Hmm...

Bought a copy of Route 66 Britain.

Can't seem to find a way of even entering pushpins by hand via latitude and longitude. You have to click on the map.

Sigh...

:(
HardRockCamaro@
Mini Stumbler

Postby HardRockCamaro@ » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:38 am

Managed to get Kismacs mapping working reasonably accurately.

Found and mapped 160 AP's in 1hr 15mins.

Sure is quiet in here...
HardRockCamaro@
Mini Stumbler

Postby Madhadder » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:57 am

OK... For the last time for all you noobz...

ONLY MAPPOINT HAS THE OPTION FOR SCRIPTING.....

Not S&T not Route66 not anything else....

Period.. End of story
Legends may sleep, but they never die!!!!
Madhadder

Postby H.l.a » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:12 am

Just got hold of Mappoint Europe and now i´m wondering how to get the mapping script working?

I´m completely green at this...
H.l.a
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:18 am

H.l.a wrote:Just got hold of Mappoint Europe and now i´m wondering how to get the mapping script working?

I´m completely green at this...

Start by reading through here and here.
wrzwaldo

Postby H.l.a » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:30 am

Now i read it and got the script to start talking and so, but isn´t it possible to get the script to put a pushpin or similar in mappoint?

is this possible or have i misunderstod it??
H.l.a
Mini Stumbler

Postby goldfndr » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:58 pm

Which did you use?

The earlier one is known to work.

My overhaul has been downloaded many times but I have yet to get any feedback - it's impossible* for me to know if things are fantastic or crippling, but since most feedback tends to be negative, it's probably flawless. The first question would be: have you set UseMappoint = True in ns04settings.vbs?

* Barring buying MapPoint, threats, etc.
goldfndr

Postby Barry » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:27 am

I know I'm bringing up a kinda old thread, but why the hell are you talking about netstumbler in a mac fourm??!! :D
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Return to Mac OS