Ti G4 using PCMCIA wireless card

Ti G4 using PCMCIA wireless card

Postby FAWCR » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:25 pm

Normally I'm not a big or frequent poster. But I'm looking for opinions on the options for wardriving using a MAC Ti G4 1ghz, 512mb. I've been researching using my ornioco gold card and the options are limited. To date the options are:

1 - drimel a hole and attach pig tail directly to internal antenna
- I really don't want to drill a hole and walk around with a wire hanging out.
2 - use the wireless driver from http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/
- no new information or updates since Apr 2003
3 - IOXperts 802.11b driver for MAC OS X
- licensed to the card's MAC address

Has anybody used / tried these options? What has worked and what issues where there?

Are there any other options?
Yes Obi?
FAWCR
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:02 pm

you can use a pcmcia card in the pc card slot of your pb. I do it all the time, you can run kismet and still surf at the same time. I'm not sure if you can mod your book the same way I did mine, not sure on the layout of the newer Ti's. I added an external blade to mine by running the pigtail out the ir window, they pop out fairly easy from the inside.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby FAWCR » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:28 am

Barry wrote:you can use a pcmcia card in the pc card slot of your pb. I do it all the time, you can run kismet and still surf at the same time. I'm not sure if you can mod your book the same way I did mine, not sure on the layout of the newer Ti's. I added an external blade to mine by running the pigtail out the ir window, they pop out fairly easy from the inside.

Thanks, I'll give that a try but I really would like to use the MacStumbler for wardriving. Based on some of the current stumbling that I do, I want to remain in the passive mode.
Yes Obi?
FAWCR
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:55 am

I don't think MacStumbler is passive. Kismac is though.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

IOXperts

Postby dtoff » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:58 pm

3 - IOXperts 802.11b driver for MAC OS X
- licensed to the card's MAC address

-- i used this driver for a while, worked great.. then i started getting weird errors... i went back to the airport card but i might start using my orinoco again. doesn't act as seemless as the airport. bet this doesn't help but i figured i'd add my 2 cents.
dtoff
Mini Stumbler

Postby FAWCR » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:59 am

Actually found a simple solution last night. Kismac 0.09a was the solution. While providing the driver with out any additional drivers required, it loads and unloads the Orinoco driver cleanly. The Airport functions normally and could be shut down without affecting the driver. Now I just wish I had brought the right cable on this trip for the gps...haha

Thanks for the assist, Barry & dtoff
Yes Obi?
FAWCR
Mini Stumbler

Return to Mac OS