USB WIFI AP/Bridge for OS X

USB WIFI AP/Bridge for OS X

Postby girininjo » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:11 am

Does anyone know if any company makes a USB access point or wireless bridge that can be used on a Mac computer with OS-X 10.3.9 or better installed.

I have an air-port extreme card, but I would also like a secondary access using a USB ap. I have a linksys AP that I use on a doz machine :confused:
girininjo
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:24 am

Moved to the Mac Forum.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Barry » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:14 am

Access points aren't very portable, do you mean wirelesss card? Which apple computer? iBook, Powerbook, iMac, eMac, Powermac? Some of the D-Stink are known to work, I just stick with my Airport Extreme card and an Orinoco Gold or Silver in the pcmcia slot if I need a better antenna for driving.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby R1scFactor » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:22 pm

I'm currently working with OS X (10.4), with an AirPort Extreme. Using KisMAC, I see the driver "AirPort Extreme (Active Mode)". From what I gather, I cannot currently use this card (or at least not the current driver) for capturing packets.

Any workarounds or ideas to (1) force this card into Passive mode, or (2) allow packet capture under Active mode?
R1scFactor

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:24 pm

Orinoco Gold card, or a silver will work in a pinch. If you have an old airport base station take it apart for the silver card, works great with kismac.
Barry

Postby MikeP928 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:26 pm

R1scFactor wrote:I'm currently working with OS X (10.4), with an AirPort Extreme. Using KisMAC, I see the driver "AirPort Extreme (Active Mode)". From what I gather, I cannot currently use this card (or at least not the current driver) for capturing packets.

Any workarounds or ideas to (1) force this card into Passive mode, or (2) allow packet capture under Active mode?

This thread is off to a wonderful start. I'm glad Barry is in charge of the Apple tard variant this month.

MikeP
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
MikeP928

Postby theholymac » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:39 pm

R1scFactor wrote:I'm currently working with OS X (10.4), with an AirPort Extreme. Using KisMAC, I see the driver "AirPort Extreme (Active Mode)". From what I gather, I cannot currently use this card (or at least not the current driver) for capturing packets.

Active mode = No packet capturing. That's, ah, kinda what it means.

The KisMac site hasn't been updated in ages, the newest copy on the site is R65, but I think it's up to R76 now. Surf around http://www.freelists.org/archives/kismac/ and you'll probably find links to the source code, or if you're lucky, a compiled copy. I'm pretty sure Passive mode for Airport Extreme cards was introduced with R75 (don't hurt me if I'm wrong). But be careful with it, and don't blame me or the developers if you totally fuck up your drivers and have to re-install OSX to get them back.

However, it should be noted that you cannot connect to the 'net when you are in passive mode. I would highly reccomend a Lucent Wavelan card if you're on a tight budget, as Barry mentioned, you can grab one out of a B speed Airport Basestation. Only the older graphite ones, though, the newer "snow" dual ethernet one have an apple airport card instead, with no built-in antenna.

A DWL-122 USB adapter would work nicely as well.
theholymac
Mini Stumbler

Postby DaKahuna » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:19 am

Yo Barry - Here's a hint .. .Not all PowerBooks come with PCMCIA slots :)
DaKahuna

Postby streaker69 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:29 am

DaKahuna wrote:Yo Barry - Here's a hint .. .Not all PowerBooks come with PCMCIA slots :)

Well, gee, that's why Barry asked the OP which Powerbook so that he could make a reasonable suggestiong.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:50 am

DaKahuna wrote:Yo Barry - Here's a hint .. .Not all PowerBooks come with PCMCIA slots :)

No shit.
Barry

Postby theprez98 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:43 pm

Barry wrote:No shit.

I found futher evidence of your ability to sniff out the tards ;)
Attachments
Certifications.jpg
Certifications.jpg (27.66 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Official Mac Tard thread

Postby Thorn » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:50 pm

girininjo wrote:Does anyone know if any company makes a USB access point or wireless bridge that can be used on a Mac computer with OS-X 10.3.9 or better installed.

I have an air-port extreme card, but I would also like a secondary access using a USB ap. I have a linksys AP that I use on a doz machine :confused:

Two posts that a questionable, and one extremely stupid comment. It's official, the is the Mac Tard thread.

It's a good thing Barry is certified by Apple to handle both Macs and Tards that use them. I'm going back to handling the MS variety.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Thorn wrote:Two posts that a questionable, and one extremely stupid comment. It's official, the is the Mac Tard thread.

It's a good thing Barry is certified by Apple to handle both Macs and Tards that use them. I'm going back to handling the MS variety.

Lucky for me, less Mac users = less iTards!
Barry

Postby DaKahuna » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:04 pm

Yo - be gentle. Just trying to add a little humor. Did not mean it as an insult.

I have my 12-inch PB working in passive mode with the Airport Extreme and with the D-Link USB DWL-G122. Still working out some minor gliches around packet injection.
DaKahuna

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:22 pm

DaKahuna wrote:Yo - be gentle. Just trying to add a little humor. Did not mean it as an insult.

I have my 12-inch PB working in passive mode with the Airport Extreme and with the D-Link USB DWL-G122. Still working out some minor gliches around packet injection.

Takes alot to insult, no worrys. Looks like you got the latest Kismac compiled, does it do live mapping for you? The one on site works, but not the latest for me. If I save it and then reload it will map them, but not as I drive.
Barry

Next

Return to Mac OS