ZD1211 USB WLAN with Zydas OS X drivers

ZD1211 USB WLAN with Zydas OS X drivers

Postby rudolf » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:51 pm

I just found the original Zydas Drivers, and tried them with a Sitecom WL-113. As the ZD1211 sticks are cheap, this might be of interest:

ZD1211 USB Stick with Zydas Drivers in Win,Linux, or Mac OS X:

First get your Driver:
http://www.zydas.com.tw/downloads/download-1211.asp

Then you need the vendor and product id numbers. See if your stick is in the table below.
If not, try google with the name of your Stick.
If nothing helps, start a Knoppix CD (or any Linux), open a shell, and plug the Stick. Enter dmesg and the numbers will be displayd.

Windows:

Install the driver, but dont plug in the Stick.
In \Windows\INF\ZD1211U.inf you'll find some lines like this:

%ZD1211_50U_DESC% = ZD1211_50U.ndi, USB\VID_0ACE&PID_1211
%ZD1211_50U_DESC% = ZD1211_50U.ndi, USB\VID_0586&PID_3401
...

See if your numbers are already there, if not change the last line.

In C:\Programs\ZyDAS Technology Corporation\ZyDAS_802.11g_Utility\ZDWlan.INI
you'll find:

MatchingDeviceId0=USB\VID_0ACE&PID_1211
MatchingDeviceId1=PCI\VEN_167B&DEV_2112
MatchingDeviceId2=USB\VID_0ACE&PID_A211
...

There you must also change a line to your numbers if they aren't already there.

Mac OSX:

Install the driver, but DO NOT RESTART. Open a terminal, enter su and root password, and edit:

/System/Library/Extensions/ZD1211Mac.kext/Contents/Info.plist

with vi (or another editor).
Near the end you'll see:
<string>EthernetUserClient_ZD1211</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>13313</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>1414</integer>
the first number 13313 is decimal for 3401 hex and the second number 1414 is decimal of 0586. So convert your numbers to decimal umsetzen, and see if they are already there, else enter them. For the Sitecom you would change the last entry to:

<string>EthernetUserClient_ZD1211</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>36977</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>3574</integer>
and watch out, the first number is the product, the second the vendor ID. It is the other way around in the table.
Save file, log out, and restart the Mac.
If you can't save the file, your not root. If you don't know the root password, enter 'sudo passwd root', enter your pasword, and then the new root password. Don't forget to tell root his new password :)

Linux:

unpack the driver in /usr/src. In the drivers directory, edit src/zdusb.h. Find:

#define VENDOR_ZYDAS 0x0ACE //ZyDAS
#define PRODUCT_1211 0x1211
#define PRODUCT_A211 0xa211
#define VENDOR_ZYXEL 0x0586 //ZyXEL
#define PRODUCT_G220 0x3401
#define VENDOR_3COM 0x6891
#define PRODUCT_A727 0xA727
#define PRODUCT_G220F 0x3402

If your numbers are not listed, change an entry, here the Zyxel entry is used with the Sitecom numbers:

#define VENDOR_ZYDAS 0x0ACE //ZyDAS
#define PRODUCT_1211 0x1211
#define PRODUCT_A211 0xa211
#define VENDOR_ZYXEL 0x0DF6 //ZyXEL
#define PRODUCT_G220 0x9071
#define VENDOR_3COM 0x6891
#define PRODUCT_A727 0xA727
#define PRODUCT_G220F 0x3402

The enter the correct kernel version into Makefile.
Enter make, then you're done. The device name is 'eth...'. You need a kernel source in /usr/src.

ZD1211 Sticks.
3COM 3CRUSB10075 6891:a727
AOpen 802.11g WL54 07b8:6001
iNexQ UR055g 1435:0711
Sitecom WL-113 0df6:9071
Telegent TG54USB 129b:1666
TwinMOS G240 126F:a006
Yakumo QuickWLAN 0b3b:1630
Airlink+ AWLL3025 0ace:1211
Zyxel ZyAIR G-220 0586:3401
X-Micro XWL-11GUZX 0ace:1211
Edimax EW-7317UG 0ace:1211
Safecom SWLU-5400 07b8:6001
Longshine LCS-8131G 07b8:6001
Planet WL-U356 0ace:1211
Sweex wireless 54MB 5173:1809
Acer WLAN-G-US1 0ace:1211
Trendnet TEW-424UB 0ace:1211
DrayTek Vigor 550 0675:0550
Asus WL-159g 0b05:170c
rudolf
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:48 pm

Postby dssence » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:53 am

Hi rudolf I'm about to buy an Edimax Wireless card which is the following EW-7317UHg, with a Zydas chipset , but I need to know if will work with netstumbler.. ;) thanks in advance
dssence
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:31 pm

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:05 am

[quote="dssence"]Hi rudolf I'm about to buy an Edimax Wireless card which is the following EW-7317UHg, with a Zydas chipset , but I need to know if will work with netstumbler.. ]

You do realize this is the Mac OS forum right?
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:05 am

[quote="dssence"]Hi rudolf I'm about to buy an Edimax Wireless card which is the following EW-7317UHg, with a Zydas chipset , but I need to know if will work with netstumbler.. ]

Why not just buy a card that is known to work?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Hawking HWU8DD (High Gain USB adapter) uses Zydas ZD1211

Postby codefoundry » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:05 am

Haven't tested the above adapter with OSX yet... but plan to shortly thanks to the info above. Posting mostly so that others looking for OSX drivers for the HWU8DD might find this info.
codefoundry
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:02 am

worked with 3com

Postby robinoo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi, I wanted to thank u for this nice hack. I managed to make it work with my 3CRUSB10075.

What I did was following ur instructions and found the hex codes easily through the calculator (with view of programmer).

I didn't have much of a clou what I was doing, but just followed ur steps, and I tried to get the same numbers as u get and followed the same process for my own poor man's wifi antenna.

And btw, zd1211 works thus great and for Linux PPC and for OSX.

:)
robinoo
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:28 am

Postby Thorn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:35 pm

robinoo wrote:Hi, I wanted to thank u for this nice hack. I managed to make it work with my 3CRUSB10075.

What I did was following ur instructions and found the hex codes easily through the calculator (with view of programmer).

I didn't have much of a clou what I was doing, but just followed ur steps, and I tried to get the same numbers as u get and followed the same process for my own poor man's wifi antenna.

And btw, zd1211 works thus great and for Linux PPC and for OSX.

:)
Read the Rules. IMMEDIATELY.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

Postby atlien1222 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:34 am

Hello,

I'm on OS X and am having difficulties configuring the wireless settings on my USB adapter (AirLink101 802.11G Slim Adapter). I've installed the driver and a new network adapter shows up (en1) allowing me to configure TCP/IP settings, etc., but no where do I see any options regarding the wireless settings (ESSID, key, etc.).

Do you have any idea of where I can set these?

Jason
atlien1222
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:31 am

Postby streaker69 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:35 am

atlien1222 wrote:Hello,

I'm on OS X and am having difficulties configuring the wireless settings on my USB adapter (AirLink101 802.11G Slim Adapter). I've installed the driver and a new network adapter shows up (en1) allowing me to configure TCP/IP settings, etc., but no where do I see any options regarding the wireless settings (ESSID, key, etc.).

Do you have any idea of where I can set these?

Jason


Try asking your question in a place that actually supports your OS.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

system preferences

Postby robinoo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:02 pm

atlien1222 wrote:Do you have any idea of where I can set these?


You should have a new Zydas configuration in your system preferences. From there you can connect and put your keys. :rolleyes:

I do no like how it handles it though. DHCP, by the way, you can also do through the terminal: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030212063233111
robinoo
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:28 am

Postby atlien1222 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:41 pm

robinoo wrote:You should have a new Zydas configuration in your system preferences. From there you can connect and put your keys. :rolleyes:

I do no like how it handles it though. DHCP, by the way, you can also do through the terminal: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030212063233111


Woops.. missed that.. appreciate it.

Jason
atlien1222
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:31 am

Postby Barry » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:51 pm

streaker69 wrote:Try asking your question in a place that actually supports your OS.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/



Damn dude, he just flat out ignored you!:D
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
User avatar
Barry
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Can you post the driver?

Postby penz » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:29 pm

Can someone post up the driver for me? I can't find it online any longer. Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P


rudolf wrote:I just found the original Zydas Drivers, and tried them with a Sitecom WL-113. As the ZD1211 sticks are cheap, this might be of interest:

ZD1211 USB Stick with Zydas Drivers in Win,Linux, or Mac OS X:

First get your Driver:
http://www.zydas.com.tw/downloads/download-1211.asp

Then you need the vendor and product id numbers. See if your stick is in the table below.
If not, try google with the name of your Stick.
If nothing helps, start a Knoppix CD (or any Linux), open a shell, and plug the Stick. Enter dmesg and the numbers will be displayd.

Windows:

Install the driver, but dont plug in the Stick.
In \Windows\INF\ZD1211U.inf you'll find some lines like this:

%ZD1211_50U_DESC% = ZD1211_50U.ndi, USB\VID_0ACE&PID_1211
%ZD1211_50U_DESC% = ZD1211_50U.ndi, USB\VID_0586&PID_3401
...

See if your numbers are already there, if not change the last line.

In C:\Programs\ZyDAS Technology Corporation\ZyDAS_802.11g_Utility\ZDWlan.INI
you'll find:

MatchingDeviceId0=USB\VID_0ACE&PID_1211
MatchingDeviceId1=PCI\VEN_167B&DEV_2112
MatchingDeviceId2=USB\VID_0ACE&PID_A211
...

There you must also change a line to your numbers if they aren't already there.

Mac OSX:

Install the driver, but DO NOT RESTART. Open a terminal, enter su and root password, and edit:

/System/Library/Extensions/ZD1211Mac.kext/Contents/Info.plist

with vi (or another editor).
Near the end you'll see:
<string>EthernetUserClient_ZD1211</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>13313</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>1414</integer>
the first number 13313 is decimal for 3401 hex and the second number 1414 is decimal of 0586. So convert your numbers to decimal umsetzen, and see if they are already there, else enter them. For the Sitecom you would change the last entry to:

<string>EthernetUserClient_ZD1211</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>36977</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>3574</integer>
and watch out, the first number is the product, the second the vendor ID. It is the other way around in the table.
Save file, log out, and restart the Mac.
If you can't save the file, your not root. If you don't know the root password, enter 'sudo passwd root', enter your pasword, and then the new root password. Don't forget to tell root his new password :)

Linux:

unpack the driver in /usr/src. In the drivers directory, edit src/zdusb.h. Find:

#define VENDOR_ZYDAS 0x0ACE //ZyDAS
#define PRODUCT_1211 0x1211
#define PRODUCT_A211 0xa211
#define VENDOR_ZYXEL 0x0586 //ZyXEL
#define PRODUCT_G220 0x3401
#define VENDOR_3COM 0x6891
#define PRODUCT_A727 0xA727
#define PRODUCT_G220F 0x3402

If your numbers are not listed, change an entry, here the Zyxel entry is used with the Sitecom numbers:

#define VENDOR_ZYDAS 0x0ACE //ZyDAS
#define PRODUCT_1211 0x1211
#define PRODUCT_A211 0xa211
#define VENDOR_ZYXEL 0x0DF6 //ZyXEL
#define PRODUCT_G220 0x9071
#define VENDOR_3COM 0x6891
#define PRODUCT_A727 0xA727
#define PRODUCT_G220F 0x3402

The enter the correct kernel version into Makefile.
Enter make, then you're done. The device name is 'eth...'. You need a kernel source in /usr/src.

ZD1211 Sticks.
3COM 3CRUSB10075 6891:a727
AOpen 802.11g WL54 07b8:6001
iNexQ UR055g 1435:0711
Sitecom WL-113 0df6:9071
Telegent TG54USB 129b:1666
TwinMOS G240 126F:a006
Yakumo QuickWLAN 0b3b:1630
Airlink+ AWLL3025 0ace:1211
Zyxel ZyAIR G-220 0586:3401
X-Micro XWL-11GUZX 0ace:1211
Edimax EW-7317UG 0ace:1211
Safecom SWLU-5400 07b8:6001
Longshine LCS-8131G 07b8:6001
Planet WL-U356 0ace:1211
Sweex wireless 54MB 5173:1809
Acer WLAN-G-US1 0ace:1211
Trendnet TEW-424UB 0ace:1211
DrayTek Vigor 550 0675:0550
Asus WL-159g 0b05:170c
penz
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:27 pm

Postby itsnotme » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:01 am

penz wrote:Can someone post up the driver for me? I can't find it online any longer. Much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P


Gee, it'd be nice if you could tell us which card you're looking for drivers for, and which OS. Then maybe one of us would be willing to whip out the spoon.
User avatar
itsnotme
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere below Lake Ontario

Postby Scruge » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:19 am

User avatar
Scruge
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:29 pm

Next

Return to Mac OS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron