Does Ministumbler work with the newer Proxim Orinoco Silver/Gold?

Questions and configuration information about the MiniStumbler software

Does Ministumbler work with the newer Proxim Orinoco Silver/Gold?

Postby Moneyless » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:01 pm

Hi, I know I'm going to get flamed for this but I've searched around and am very confused. I know that the Orinoco Gold and Silver cards work with ministumbler, but my question is, with the newer Proxim cards, does the current version of ministumbler work with those?

The newer silver card is pictured below

Thanks!
Attachments
justdeals_1856_6436934.jpg
justdeals_1856_6436934.jpg (17.16 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Moneyless
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:10 pm

No. Not natively, although like many other cards, they may work somewhat with NDIS 5.1.

http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=7823
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Thorn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:14 pm

P.S. Those are known as the "dork cards" owning to the waving dork on the label.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby Moneyless » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:19 pm

I'm curious then... I have a Jornada 525 (Win CE 3.0) and a CF to PCMCIA adapter... If I get the newer Proxim orinoco, I should be able to use the Proxim driver to install onto my PPC. But then I can't use Ministumbler right?

I'm looking for something that can be used to log onto a wireless network at school (no WEP security, open access). Would the newer orinoco work for that? As in auto detect a wireless network and allow me to tap in? OR, since I'd be without ministumbler, would I have to manually enter in SSID's and all that?
Moneyless
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:43 pm

Moneyless wrote:I'm curious then... I have a Jornada 525 (Win CE 3.0) and a CF to PCMCIA adapter... If I get the newer Proxim orinoco, I should be able to use the Proxim driver to install onto my PPC. But then I can't use Ministumbler right?
Right.

Moneyless wrote:I'm looking for something that can be used to log onto a wireless network at school (no WEP security, open access). Would the newer orinoco work for that?
Maybe, maybe not. You should ask the sysadmins what they recommend for use on the school network.

Moneyless wrote:As in auto detect a wireless network and allow me to tap in? OR, since I'd be without ministumbler, would I have to manually enter in SSID's and all that?
You'll have to manually enter the SSID anyway, or use some autodetect/connect Client Manager. MiniStumbler does not autoconnect your PPC. It's a network auditing tool, not a Client Manager.

By the way, regarding "tapping in" to a network, I'm not sure what your intent is, but you may want to read these links before you end up in trouble.
http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=9896
http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=8712
Thorn
Thorn

Postby theprez98 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:54 pm

Thorn wrote:P.S. Those are known as the "dork cards" owning to the waving dork on the label.

I just got a "dork card" for Aireplay.
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby Moneyless » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:21 pm

Thanks thorn... you've been a great help!

The school's network is open access to all students so it's ok. could you or anyone recommend some "autodetect/connect Client Manager"? Does Win CE 3.0 have it already?
Moneyless
Mini Stumbler

Return to MiniStumbler