Finding Stollen Wireless Card

Questions and configuration information about the MiniStumbler software

Postby The Others » Mon May 10, 2004 12:45 pm

G8tK33per wrote:I believe that would be WarBuggered.

Ouch... Yes.

I believe, in this case, both terms will be appropriate. At least buggery (in the christian form of the word) would raise the funds needed for a new laptop.

It's like my landlord says every month "pay your rent, boy!"

:cool:
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Starpoint » Wed May 12, 2004 1:53 pm

Thorn wrote:AFAIK, kismet would work fine as a sniffer in this regard. I say "AFAIK" because I've yet to actually get a Linux-based laptop to run kismet. (Finding the time is the issue...) AirScanner for the PocketPC would definately work, and I'm sure AirMagnet would, too. Basically any packet capture device/program should work, as the packet will have the MAC in there.

My concern here is more how does TheMag15 prove the current "user" of the card without getting himself in hot water? For example: I know reading email is illegal without a warrant under many circumstances. How many packets (containing partial email contents) can TheMag15 read to determine that his card is being used by "John Smith" without actually crossing the line? 1? 10? None? I don't know. All I do know it that it may be a touchy area.

One could say he has the box of the card and all that plus he knows the MAC address, but if you have the ability to scan with a different card using stumbler, then who says you did not "SCAN" for it then claim its his.

The other deal is the laptop.. more than likely the card and laptop are still together, so if you find the card, you might find the laptop.... ergo might be easier to prove ownership of the laptop if it still has your old info on it etc..

work it from the angle of "I am searching for the laptop"
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby Monitr7 » Thu May 13, 2004 2:22 am

The Others wrote:At least buggery (in the christian form of the word) would raise the funds needed for a new laptop.

It's like my landlord says every month "pay your rent, boy!"

:cool:

WarHooking...
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Postby The Others » Thu May 13, 2004 11:06 am

Sniff. There was no need to be so mean to me :(
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Monitr7 » Fri May 14, 2004 2:46 am

The Others wrote:Sniff. There was no need to be so mean to me :(

Who? Me? Never, Others. Buck up, fella! Stiff upper lip and all that. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade (Lynchburg lemonade). Turn that frown upside down. Let a smile be your umbrella. :rolleyes:
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

30 days long enough?

Postby Airstreamer » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:20 pm

TheMag15 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I have filed a Police Report and notified the Manufacter of the Laptop to look out for the serial number.

The polic told me there isn't much they could do (I figured so much) without more information. I figure that if I can prove that that card in still in the complex then I might be able to get someone a little more then nothing.

Then again, it is fun to do a little PI work.

Link Ferret has a time-limited (30 day) 'non-crippleware' demo that would probably work for what you want.

http://www.linkferret.ws

The software is a bit 'klutzy' but it does work well.

With an actual packet analyzer running, you should be able to see any APs directing traffic TO or FROM the MAC addy.

(Plus the AD-HOC mode of course..)

sTEVE

PS: I hope you find the SOB and hook his gonads up to an electric fence somewhere.
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Previous

Return to MiniStumbler