GPS on different COM port?

Questions and configuration information about the MiniStumbler software

GPS on different COM port?

Postby Kevertje » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:33 pm

Heya,

I was wondering if you could help me out here. I recently bought a Mio 168 PDA. It has a built-in GPS receiver which operates on the COM2 port. All I find in the options screen is COM1. Is there any way to make MiniStumbler listen to that port for its GPS data or do I have to wait for a new release?
Kevertje
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:40 pm

MiniStumbler should see all the COM ports that the OS reports as available. If COM2 is not available (typically by being used by another program) then MS will not see it.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Dutch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:37 pm

Kevertje wrote:Heya,

I was wondering if you could help me out here. I recently bought a Mio 168 PDA. It has a built-in GPS receiver which operates on the COM2 port. All I find in the options screen is COM1. Is there any way to make MiniStumbler listen to that port for its GPS data or do I have to wait for a new release?

Shut down the MioMap application, not just sending it to the background. As Thorn said, if the GPS is in use by another program, MiniStumbler won't see the com port, as the operating system won't let more than one program at a time access the GPS com port.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby fregniacciaro » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:50 pm

Doesn't Franson make a GPSgate for PocketPC platform?
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby beakmyn » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:44 pm

fregniacciaro wrote:Doesn't Franson make a GPSgate for PocketPC platform?

Yes, they do it's $29.95 and they recently released a new version.
beakmyn

Postby Kevertje » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:06 am

Thanks for the help, apparently I just missed the obvious. The COM2 port is shown as "Serial Cable on SP2:", but that seems to be the correct port. I was looking for a port named COM2 (slaps head)
Kevertje
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:15 am

Kevertje wrote:Thanks for the help, apparently I just missed the obvious. The COM2 port is shown as "Serial Cable on SP2:", but that seems to be the correct port. I was looking for a port named COM2 (slaps head)

Don't feel too bad, "COM2" would have been what most people would expect. However, it just reads what the OS reports.

Is it working correctly now with MS? You may have to adjust things like tha baud rate. Typical settings are: NMEA 0183, 4800 baud, 8 bits, No parity, 1 Stop bit, No Flow control.

Some of those may differ according to the built-in GPS settings.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Kevertje » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:25 am

Jup, it works flawlessly now. The default settings were right on. Besides, the only reason I was expecting COM2 is because the map software calls it COM2... Lesson learned: don't always trust native apps ;-)
Kevertje
Mini Stumbler

Return to MiniStumbler