Homing in to the EXACT location of an AP?

Questions and configuration information about the MiniStumbler software

Homing in to the EXACT location of an AP?

Postby Arablover » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:13 am

I used Netstumbler and a laptop to home in to the exact location of an unsecured AP. I used Netstumblers bar graph to measure the signal strength of the AP. So I walked around until I found the exact location of the unsecured AP.

Can ministumbler show me the signal strength of an AP in real time?

It is just too much work carrying a laptop around with me!

Regards.

Jeremy
Arablover
Mini Stumbler

Postby theprez98 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:16 am

Arablover wrote:I used Netstumbler and a laptop to home in to the exact location of an unsecured AP. I used Netstumblers bar graph to measure the signal strength of the AP. So I walked around until I found the exact location of the unsecured AP.

Regards.

Jeremy

There are many, many threads on this forum about calculating the location on an AP. It has a lot more to do than with just signal strength. However, in the end you're realize it just isn't possible to do this. Use the search feature, it is your friend.
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby beakmyn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:30 am

Arablover wrote:I used Netstumbler and a laptop to home in to the exact location of an unsecured AP. I used Netstumblers bar graph to measure the signal strength of the AP. So I walked around until I found the exact location of the unsecured AP.

Regards.

Jeremy

No it can't try Qos Scanner.

Remember that 2.4Ghz asborbs and bounces easily so finding the location can take awhile. Since it sounds like you're trying to find the AP by signal strength and not use it to map it's location then Qos may work.
NDIS drivers do not support S/N so you'll have to make sure your hardware will report S/N it properly.
beakmyn

Postby streaker69 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:36 am

Regards.

Jeremy

Why do you need to find the exact location of unsecured AP's? Just curious cause I've never felt the need to.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Barry » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:00 pm

Just as an example, we've had teachers put base stations in their rooms. You know the standard "plug it in and use it" no wep or anything. It's fun to walk in their room and pick it up and yank out the patch cable to it, better still when pieces come out with the cable.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Dutch » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:09 pm

Barry wrote:Just as an example, we've had teachers put base stations in their rooms. You know the standard "plug it in and use it" no wep or anything. It's fun to walk in their room and pick it up and yank out the patch cable to it, better still when pieces come out with the cable.

Life must be good.. They even pay you to do this.. :D

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:47 pm

Better than the stupid tards that plug the lan port of their AP/Switch into the network and have DHCP enabled.
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Why I need to find unprotected AP's.

Postby Arablover » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:54 pm

I live and work in the Middle East for the expatriate community.

Most people have their AP's open.

So I find the AP, knock on the door, explain the problem and then hand over my business card!

But a laptop is too heavy and the battery life is very short!

Any more advice would be very welcome!

Cheers.

Jeremy
Arablover
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:48 pm

King_Ice_Flash wrote:Better than the stupid tards that plug the lan port of their AP/Switch into the network and have DHCP enabled.

We get that too... :rolleyes:
Barry

Postby Airstreamer » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:25 pm

beakmyn wrote:No it can't try Qos Scanner.

Remember that 2.4Ghz asborbs and bounces easily so finding the location can take awhile. Since it sounds like you're trying to find the AP by signal strength and not use it to map it's location then Qos may work.
NDIS drivers do not support S/N so you'll have to make sure your hardware will report S/N it properly.

/Scooby on ..
Ruh??
/off

This evening, I was packing my Jornada 720 around with the Dell 1150 card in it and tracked down an AP fairly quickly. We were visiting my son and I had picked up the AP up while in the parking lot and deicided to wander aimelessly about for a few minutes, while my son and granddaughter were yakking with my wife.

I had sped up the default scan rate and the signal strength was updating every few seconds which was plenty fast enough to narrow it down to two apartments in one end of one of the buildings. I probably could have figured out which one of the two it was if I had wanted to spend more time.

Steve
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby hswaters » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:34 am

Barry wrote:Just as an example, we've had teachers put base stations in their rooms. You know the standard "plug it in and use it" no wep or anything. It's fun to walk in their room and pick it up and yank out the patch cable to it, better still when pieces come out with the cable.

I know that as a newbie here I am sticking my neck out a lot, but. This is just an amazing attitude. I bet if you came into my room and ripped anything out of anything you would leave with a knuckle sandwich and a foot in your a$$, regardless of how illegal, immoral or dangerous the item might be. You need to take a lesson from the Texas rangers. They will shoot your ass into tiny pieces and stomp on them if need be but when they stop you they are always respectful. They refer to you as sir or madam. They inquire (respectfully still) as to the possibility that you may have a legitimate excuse for speeding, weaving, throwing pot roaches out the window or whatever. When and if it is determined that you are only a common law breaker you are still respectfully requested to comply with the ticket, search or arrest. They do not become violent or rude until after you have done so. Now is this not a much more mature and civilized way to conduct business? Don't you think this approach will go a long way to elicit cooperation?

Somehow I am reminded of the Dilbert cartoon strip and the character, Mordack, preventer of information technology.
hswaters
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:46 am

hswaters wrote:I know that as a newbie here I am sticking my neck out a lot, but. This is just an amazing attitude. I bet if you came into my room and ripped anything out of anything you would leave with a knuckle sandwich and a foot in your a$$, regardless of how illegal, immoral or dangerous the item might be. You need to take a lesson from the Texas rangers. They will shoot your ass into tiny pieces and stomp on them if need be but when they stop you they are always respectful. They refer to you as sir or madam. They inquire (respectfully still) as to the possibility that you may have a legitimate excuse for speeding, weaving, throwing pot roaches out the window or whatever. When and if it is determined that you are only a common law breaker you are still respectfully requested to comply with the ticket, search or arrest. They do not become violent or rude until after you have done so. Now is this not a much more mature and civilized way to conduct business? Don't you think this approach will go a long way to elicit cooperation?

Somehow I am reminded of the Dilbert cartoon strip and the character, Mordack, preventer of information technology.

You are sticking your neck out where you will get it either guilliotined, or garrotted if you continue to post messages like the above.
It is Barry's JOB to secure the networks he is responsible for. Securing them also means removing ANY and ALL non-authorised equipment attached to the networks, when he finds such items.

If a user on those networks willfully want to violate the policy they have been informed on being in force on those networks, their non-authorised equipment will be removed whether they like it or not.
Barry is kindda nice by just ripping it out of the LAN socket, normal procedure would be using a 5 pound forehammer on the equipment while they watch.

You better go back to lurking some more, instead of the powerposting spree you are on at the moment.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:49 am

hswaters wrote:I know that as a newbie here I am sticking my neck out a lot, but. This is just an amazing attitude. I bet if you came into my room and ripped anything out of anything you would leave with a knuckle sandwich and a foot in your a$$, regardless of how illegal, immoral or dangerous the item might be. You need to take a lesson from the Texas rangers. They will shoot your ass into tiny pieces and stomp on them if need be but when they stop you they are always respectful. They refer to you as sir or madam. They inquire (respectfully still) as to the possibility that you may have a legitimate excuse for speeding, weaving, throwing pot roaches out the window or whatever. When and if it is determined that you are only a common law breaker you are still respectfully requested to comply with the ticket, search or arrest. They do not become violent or rude until after you have done so. Now is this not a much more mature and civilized way to conduct business? Don't you think this approach will go a long way to elicit cooperation?

Most school districts that I have ever done any work with have doctrine in place that expressively prohibit connecting any NON district hardware to the network. Often times this is followed by a signature of the person agreeing to said doctrine (conditions of employment). I know of two districts that have included "remove and destroy" verbiage. Of course once someone compromises a network that you are responsible for I think you would see things a little differently. And truth be told I would not destroy the hardware, I would remove it and contact the district office for administrative action (termination of employment) against the owner of said equipment.
wrzwaldo

Postby Barry » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:56 pm

If you knew me, you wouldn't say that. I'm actually the nicest guy you'll ever meet. However, don't mess with my networks. There's no cooperation required, follow the rules or we shut you off at the switch.

Oh, I don't rip it out of the lan socket! I'd have to fix that, I rip the cable out of the device. I guess I could "accidently" plug in a power injector to that port. Then we could have fun when the person calls and says his/her internet is down.
Barry

Postby Thorn » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:53 pm

Smarten up, junior. You might want to learn the people involved, the forums in general, and the situation before making coments that prove how little you understand.

hswaters wrote:Somehow I am reminded of the Dilbert cartoon strip and the character, Mordack, preventer of information technology.
Somehow I am reminded of the old saying "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and confirm it."
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to MiniStumbler