Wifi card power light doesn't come on

Questions and configuration information about the MiniStumbler software

Wifi card power light doesn't come on

Postby S3ction8 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:48 pm

Hi All,

I hate to make this my first post. I've read the rules and I'm hoping I posted this in the right place. Nevertheless.... if it's in the wrong place please let me know. My rational for posting here is I'm working up to running MiniStumbler..... anyway.... here is my situation....

I have an ipaq 3850 and I just bought a dual pcmcia slot plus on ebay. When I slide the expansion slot on the ipaq it's recognized. In my noobness I tried to get my linksys wpc54g to work which I now realize will not work because there are no drivers available. After realizing this I went out and bought a linksys wpc11 v 4 only to realize linksys changed the chipset between 3 and 4. Where I live there is no other options for wifi cards. (ie no version 3 wpc11). To make a long story short... when I plugged both of these cards into my expansion slot the power light on the cards would not come on..... is this a driver thing or is it possible that there is something wrong with my expansion pack?
S3ction8
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:05 pm

could be both. Make sure the pack is fully charged and then get the drivers loaded.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Thorn » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:13 pm

Does the WPC11 v4 even have WinCE drivers?
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby S3ction8 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:34 pm

none that I could find and I searched for many hours. Linksys switched chipsets to the realtek 8081| chip set. A quote from someone else on why they switched.... (personally... it sounds like a sales pitch to me)

The Instant Wireless Network PC Card now has a new higher powered antenna that provides greater ranges than ever. The increased sensitivity helps filter out interference and “noise” to keep your signal clear. Improved error correction in the chip set keeps you operating at higher transmission rates for longer distances. And, since you only need one Type II or III PCMCIA slot, you're free to use your other slots for additional accessories.
S3ction8
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:44 pm

It would appear you're out of luck then. You need to have the drivers loaded before the OS will recognize the card and power it up; no drivers means no function.

It would appear your best bet is to mail order a card that is known to work with WinCE. I'd recommend the ORiNOCO Classic.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby S3ction8 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:57 pm

heh.... I figured it was coming to that but at least now I know that the drivers need to be loaded before it will power up the card. Thanks for the info. I'm lookin on ebay for an orinoco as we speak....
S3ction8
Mini Stumbler

Return to MiniStumbler