Move the FAQ to its own forum

Move the FAQ to its own forum

Postby sparafina » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:32 pm

OK, I'll show some compassion today after being a complete wilson. The location of the FAQ is not obvious, so perhaps we could move the FAQ to its own forum. This would make it easier for newbies and nimrods such as myself to find it.

I'm switching back to total bastard mode, now.

Peace out.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Re: Move the FAQ to its own forum

Postby blackwave » Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:48 pm

Originally posted by sparafina
The location of the FAQ is not obvious, so perhaps we could move the FAQ to its own forum.

I agree. The FAQ should be something moderated and static. I also suggest to put the FAQ in its own forum and submit the QA to the moderator of that forum.. our FAQ is currently riddled with crappy responses that people don't understand it isn't a normal type of thread.

The cheap and easy way would also be able to have one of the admins staple the FAQ as an announcement at the top of the Forum.

:)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby Thunderforge » Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:14 pm

I'm nowhere near knowledgable enough to do something like this yet, but I know lots of you long timers are.

Would it be possible to have a read-only FAQ section with different moderator created posts for FAQs on different subjects?

Something like:

FAQ: Antenna Types
FAQ: Antenna Design
FAQ: RF Basics
FAQ: MiniStumbler
FAQ: NetStumbler

Just a thought
Back to the forge,
TF
Thunderforge
Mini Stumbler

Since I started this...

Postby Thorn » Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm

Since I started this whole thing, I figure I should finish it. Unless of course, I can find some sucker - uh- mm, ah - harumph, I mean, find some good-looking, highly intelligent individual to do it. :)

It has always been my intent to edit into a HTML document, and then let the proper admins have it. That's what I wrote originally, and I have not changed my mind. It's just running my business has to come first, and I 'm trying to start two others at the same time. So I'll edit this, unless I can find a volunteer in the meantime...

Anyone? Anyone?
Blackwave? Lincomatic?

Anyone? Anyone?
Bueler? Bueler?

:D
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Re: Since I started this...

Postby blackwave » Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:55 pm

Originally posted by Thorn
Anyone? Anyone?
Blackwave? Lincomatic?

I can put the Current FAQ you started into html, no problem, perhaps after this weekend.

But what i would like to see more would be either we split up and scrounge the ENTIRE board for any tidbit of information and catagorize it and put it into the same html format.

This could take significant time to do in one run. If we had the raw data (Don't know if the admins would be willing to give this to us, or if the software allows this... ) but I would certainly want to get all the data and perhaps burn it on CD's, along with the freeware tools that some of us have made... then the board would be able to sell them. I sent aFR something to this effect earlier today in fact... what a coinky dink. Hopefully we will get some cooperation.

We could start a NetStumbler Intelligence team to do this and maintain the data and create CD's when need be... this way it is possible to flush the board, and start new data...

Sound good? I would be willing to take some serious time and do this just so we can always rely on the data being there.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby blackwave » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:05 pm

:) I just realized that our wish is now real! :) :) :) :)
Now we can rock the house with some serious FAQing!

Let's start by having someone move the current FAQ in this forum to the FAQ forum.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby Thunderforge » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:06 pm

HUZZAH! :)
Back to the forge,
TF
Thunderforge
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:14 pm

-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby sparafina » Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:51 pm

Wow, I actually got something useful done today, despite being in meetings all day long. I'll push my luck and ask for a Unix or Other Software section for all those great posts on setting up other software.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby lincomatic » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:26 pm

i'm still more in favor of a regular html-based faq. i've found that it's kind of cumbersome to search the faq when it only shows xxx messages per screen. with other faq's i normally just load them into my web browser and scan them for certain keywords. not as easy to do if each faq is broken into several different screenfuls.
also if we use the forum method then every time we want to add a new section we need to ask the administrators.

what do you guys think?
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:30 pm

Originally posted by lincomatic
what do you guys think?

I sent you an email :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby sparafina » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:36 am

Originally posted by lincomatic
i'm still more in favor of a regular html-based faq.
what do you guys think?

I agree, the only problem is that faqs need maintainers and the forum is a self serv method for updating. Maybe the forum can be used as a staging area and then the HTML faq can be updated periodically.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby blackwave » Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:28 am

Originally posted by sparafina

I agree, the only problem is that faqs need maintainers and the forum is a self serv method for updating. Maybe the forum can be used as a staging area and then the HTML faq can be updated periodically.

I'll whip something up this weekend from the original faq compiliation, and post it in the forum.. from there it is just a matter of checking east post, copy and pasting, and wordsmithing..
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby blackwave » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:18 am

-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby Thorn » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:27 am

Looks good!
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Next

Return to NetStumbler