Capability Flag

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Capability Flag

Postby ArthurG » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm doing wireless audits for my company, and one of our locations picked up a WAP that reported capability flags of 521...everything I've read has said that the 100 flag in hex (8th bit in binary) is "reserved". Anyone know what or why this flag would be set on a WAP?

The vendor code of the MAC address was 00180A, which belongs to Meraki Networks, who make enterprise level WAPs. Could it be a business-class indication? But why wouldn't it have been defined yet?
ArthurG
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:50 pm

ArthurG wrote:I'm doing wireless audits for my company, and one of our locations picked up a WAP that reported capability flags of 521...everything I've read has said that the 100 flag in hex (8th bit in binary) is "reserved". Anyone know what or why this flag would be set on a WAP?

The vendor code of the MAC address was 00180A, which belongs to Meraki Networks, who make enterprise level WAPs. Could it be a business-class indication? But why wouldn't it have been defined yet?

It is (or was) reserved, but I've seen reserved flags get used before. Notably, 0400 went from reserved and became indicated of "802.11g" when that standard was ratified. For example, it may be that 0100 is now indicative of 802.11n. That's also not to say that a manufacturer just used it incorrectly or in violation of the standard for their own purposes.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby theprez98 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:10 am

Did someone actually ask a question about NetStumbler?! ;)
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby ArthurG » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks for the info, Thorn. I really was just wondering if anyone knew if it had been defined yet, since I haven't been able to find any open documents on 802.11n.

theprez98 wrote:Did someone actually ask a question about NetStumbler?! ;)

I'm sorry...are these forums closed?
ArthurG
Mini Stumbler

Postby paintballaddict » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:32 am

ArthurG wrote:Thanks for the info, Thorn. I really was just wondering if anyone knew if it had been defined yet, since I haven't been able to find any open documents on 802.11n.

I'm sorry...are these forums closed?

Hahahaha No the forums aren't closed... It's just that we haven't had too many people come in here to actually ask about netstumbler itself.... A lot of times it's people asking how to steal other peoples wifi which if you read around a bit you'll see usually doesn't go over well for them as we don't condone that sort of thing. Not to mention its illegal and just isn't right to do that... We are just surprised to have seen that you've not only done your homework BUT you had a really good question relating to the netstumbler program itself...

Kudos!

GUN CONTROL: using both hands :D

Radio Shack: You've got questions? We have blank stares . . .
paintballaddict

Return to NetStumbler