Cards that reportedly do NOT work/ have problems w/NetStumbler 0.4

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Postby streaker69 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:47 pm

jetman wrote:Would've like to have sent the Compat rept directly to the author, but when I launch NS, it immediately kills my working (and only) net connection via WiFi. Anyway, if this does make it to him, here's some info about the adapter:
Compaq iPAQ 11Mbps Wireless USB Adapter
HNW-200
FCC ID: MXF-WL280
Windows XP SP1
256MB of RAM

NS repts the adapter uses an Atmel chipset, but that's coming from the Device menu. Personally, I wouldn't know.

In case some other unfortunate soul is stuck w/ this clunker as I am, I've discovered that once NS kills the wireless connection, shut down the program and disable, then immed re-enable the WiFi adapter via the Network Connections folder, to recover wirelessness w/o a reboot.

Later, y'all....Jet

That is by design, NS is supposed to shut down WZC when it starts. On some machines you may have to restart it manually.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby jetman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:14 pm

streaker69 wrote:That is by design, NS is supposed to shut down WZC when it starts. On some machines you may have to restart it manually.

Don't know what WZC is, but this isn't entirely normal behavior. When NS loads, the WiFi part of the stack apparently gets hosed, that is until the next reboot. The disable/enable trick only worked immed following the NS install, prior to the 1st reboot. In the meantime, XP no longer permits the disable/enable thing, so a reboot is the way to clear WiFi layer, after NS has clobbered it.
jetman
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:39 pm

jetman wrote:Don't know what WZC is, but this isn't entirely normal behavior. When NS loads, the WiFi part of the stack apparently gets hosed, that is until the next reboot. The disable/enable trick only worked immed following the NS install, prior to the 1st reboot. In the meantime, XP no longer permits the disable/enable thing, so a reboot is the way to clear WiFi layer, after NS has clobbered it.

*sigh* NS hasn't clobbered anything... NS has stopped the Wireless Zero Configuration service, because YOU didn't read the included documentation first.
Either disable Autoconfigure in NS, or restart WZC manually after you exit NS. To restart WZC, open a command prompt, type NET START WZC and press enter. Close the command prompt.

Next time, before making allegations that NS did something, try to read the included documentation, and do a search on the boards.. Otherwise you are just proving you are another tard, with no clue whatsoever...

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

D-Link XTreme G

Postby AxessTerminated » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:06 pm

My DWL-G630 does not work. It uses a chipset from Marvell called Libertas 88W8310. Any one else having the same issue?

I assumed anything with the Xtreme G capability would be difficult to implement.

A_T

PS - How do you actually go about implementing support for a particular card? I program in C++, so I do have a background....I'm just curious here.
AxessTerminated

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:44 pm

AxessTerminated wrote:My DWL-G630 does not work. It uses a chipset from Marvell called Libertas 88W8310. Any one else having the same issue?

I assumed anything with the Xtreme G capability would be difficult to implement.

A_T

PS - How do you actually go about implementing support for a particular card? I program in C++, so I do have a background....I'm just curious here.

Which hardware version do you have? They used a couple different chipsets. Whats the FCC ID #?

A1 used Marvell(?)

B1 used ?

C1 used Atheros
wrzwaldo

Revision B

Postby AxessTerminated » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:46 pm

I have Revision B, I've gotten the updated drivers and all. I thought it also used the Marvell chipset, I'll have to do some research and let you guys know.

A_T
AxessTerminated

Hmmm... Belkin F5D7050 usb adapter w/ Ndis 5.1 driver...

Postby tb40nd » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:37 am

Well, last night i was able to pick up a couple of APs with the lastest vers. of netstumbler but it would nix my internet connection and like the readme says reports a false or "no" reliable noise level reading.

I couldn't get it to report anything at all the first time i used the Belkin but that was b/c the Belkin utility was still running in the background. When I killed the Belkin utility in the taskbar and allowed Netstumbler to autoconfig the Belkin USB adapter it started picking up APs, got accurate SNR and signal readings, etc. That's all i needed to test my square parabolic reflector with the Belkin at the focal point... thanks to Scruge for the template

So, it's not working totally (but that was expected being a USB adapter) but if you have a USB adapter and want to use Netstumbler for antenna placement, check for APs, etc. then you may want to give it a whirl.
tb40nd
Mini Stumbler

WMP54G Wont work

Postby Jgaard » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:00 am

Hi.

I have 2 PC's both running WMP54G cards from Linksys. PC1 uses a Hardware version 2 card and have no problems with netstumbler. PC2 just recently went wireless, and got a new version 4 card from linksys. How ever this card does not registre in netstumbler.

J;-)
Jgaard
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:20 am

[quote="Jgaard"]Hi.

I have 2 PC's both running WMP54G cards from Linksys. PC1 uses a Hardware version 2 card and have no problems with netstumbler. PC2 just recently went wireless, and got a new version 4 card from linksys. How ever this card does not registre in netstumbler.

J]

Different chipset, non-compatible
beakmyn

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:44 am

[quote="Jgaard"]Hi.

J]

You don't happen to have the FCC ID #s do you?
wrzwaldo

Postby Jgaard » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:33 am

You don't happen to have the FCC ID #s do you?

No I don't. But the driver is by Ralink technology inc. (RT2500.sys).
I can "tear" the box apart to have a look for FCC #'s but since I'm in the process of moving, that probably wont happen in the next week or so.
Jgaard
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:34 am

Jgaard wrote:No I don't. But the driver is by Ralink technology inc. (RT2500.sys).
I can "tear" the box apart to have a look for FCC #'s but since I'm in the process of moving, that probably wont happen in the next week or so.

WMP54G Version 4 = Q87-WMP54GV4 = RaLink

WMP54G Version 2 = PKW-WMP54GV2 = Broadcom

Your lucky to have either one of them work.
wrzwaldo

Postby Jgaard » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:17 am

WMP54G Version 4 = Q87-WMP54GV4 = RaLink
WMP54G Version 2 = PKW-WMP54GV2 = Broadcom

Your lucky to have either one of them work.

According to: http://stumbler.net/compat/ the WMP54G ought to work.
And I have never had problems with the WMP54GV2, it connects just fine and finds lots of avaliable nets in my area..... ;-)
Jgaard
Mini Stumbler

Postby itsnotme » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:41 am

Jgaard wrote:According to: http://stumbler.net/compat/ the WMP54G ought to work.
And I have never had problems with the WMP54GV2, [B]it connects just fine and finds lots of avaliable nets in my area..... ]

I hope you're not connecting to those available nets without the owner's approval.
itsnotme

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:51 am

[quote="Jgaard"]According to: http://stumbler.net/compat/ the WMP54G ought to work.
And I have never had problems with the WMP54GV2, it connects just fine and finds lots of avaliable nets in my area..... ]

That is a card that "has been reported to work" it is not a supported card. Remember, unsupported cards may not work the same even on identical systems! Are you using this for wardriving in some kind of carputer?
wrzwaldo

PreviousNext

Return to NetStumbler