Cards that reportedly WORK with NetStumbler 0.4

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Postby Dutch » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:31 am

[quote="mmontes"]According to netstumbler compatibility list the DWL-G650 and Intel wireless 2200BG work properly. I try both and it didn’]
The compatibility list is not the same as the card being supported. The compatibility list is user submitted experiences. Most of the cards on the compatibility list, uses NDIS 5.1 driver, with their inheren limitations, and therefore can't report proper signal and noise values. See the NetStumbler documentation.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby dakkon2k » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:33 am

mmontes wrote:According to netstumbler compatibility list the DWL-G650 and Intel wireless 2200BG work properly. I try both and it didn’t work, you can only see the signal strength but not the noise. So why are they on the list?

Really? :eek:
Supported = All functioin work eg Hermes chipset only
Compatible = Works (maybe) not all features report/work as designed. Atheros, Prism, broadcum, etc etc

Had you searched you'd know this, but alas your to damn lazy to do so :)
Attachments
nsn00b1.JPG
nsn00b1.JPG (6.42 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Unable to apply patch, Please install M$ Outlook to continue. :confused:
A journey of a thousand posts begins with How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dakkon2k

Location: Quite a bit EAST & a smidgen south of the world famous Rat. 2 miles from the beach or 1/2 a mile

Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter - HWU8DD

Postby estefan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:49 am

you can add Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter - HWU8DD to the list of NS working adapters, this unit is shaped like a table top parabolic dish. since it is directional it may be an alternative to antenna solutions. http://www.buy.com/prod/Hawking_Hi_Gain_USB_Wireless_G_Dish_Adapter/q/loc/101/202149085.html
estefan
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:04 am

estefan wrote:you can add Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter - HWU8DD to the list of NS working adapters, this unit is shaped like a table top parabolic dish. since it is directional it may be an alternative to antenna solutions. http://www.buy.com/prod/Hawking_Hi_Gain_USB_Wireless_G_Dish_Adapter/q/loc/101/202149085.html

A) Does it report noise correctly (hint: If it is using NDIS 5.1 it doesn't)
B) Why didn't you just post the above message in the thread specifically created for that ?

And remember, just because it (seems to) work for you, doesn't mean that it is supported, nor that it will work for somebody else on their setup.

Moved to the Stickyfied toplisted thread in the Netstumbler section, where it should have been posted in the first place.

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby theprez98 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:30 am

estefan wrote:you can add Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter - HWU8DD to the list of NS working adapters, this unit is shaped like a table top parabolic dish. since it is directional it may be an alternative to antenna solutions. http://www.buy.com/prod/Hawking_Hi_Gain_USB_Wireless_G_Dish_Adapter/q/loc/101/202149085.html

Have a read of this post which explains the difference between COMPATIBLE and SUPPORTED (amazingly enough I even wrote the referenced post).
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Linksys WPC54GS (speedboost)

Postby LarryLaser » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:22 am

I have been trying everything i could think of to get NS to recognize my card (Linksys WPC54GS) with no luck, {updates, upgrades, restart, remove-start-re Install card, you name it, I've tried it.
then:
I unInstalled the Card "Software" and Drivers (linkshit) rebooted and Inserted the card and Only installed the Drivers Manually (Device Manager).

Guess What, IT WORKS perfectly.

Not only does the Linksys software interfere with the NetStumbler but it also has a lower signal from my network and it likes to call home constantly (linksys.webgod.com)

Sys
Toshiba A25-S208
Internal 802.11b (agere chip) works fine with NS, [justreal slow]
Realtech 8139-nic
Intel P4 2.66 Ghz, 1Gig mem, 100Gig HDD
Teac 224 DVD/CD-rw combo

And soon to be :D :cool: "WG-KIT03 Deluxe NetStumbler Kit " :cool: and a "BUFFALO AirStation WLI-CB-G54S" :rolleyes: card. just ordered this weekend.
LarryLaser

Postby streaker69 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:24 am

LarryLaser wrote:I have been trying everything i could think of to get NS to recognize my card (Linksys WPC54GS) with no luck, {updates, upgrades, restart, remove-start-re Install card, you name it, I've tried it.
then:
I unInstalled the Card "Software" and Drivers (linkshit) rebooted and Inserted the card and Only installed the Drivers Manually (Device Manager).

[color="Magenta"]Guess What, IT WORKS perfectly.[/color]

Not only does the Linksys software interfere with the NetStumbler but it also has a lower signal from my network and it likes to call home constantly (linksys.webgod.com)

Sys
Toshiba A25-S208
Internal 802.11b (agere chip) works fine with NS, [justreal slow]
Realtech 8139-nic
Intel P4 2.66 Ghz, 1Gig mem, 100Gig HDD
Teac 224 DVD/CD-rw combo

And soon to be :D :cool: "WG-KIT03 Deluxe NetStumbler Kit " :cool: and a "BUFFALO AirStation WLI-CB-G54S" :rolleyes: card. just ordered this weekend.

It even properly reports SNR?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby LarryLaser » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:39 am

It even properly reports SNR?

Hey streaker69
SoFar SoGood. I get the same SNR from my internal card (have used NS with it for years) in (802.11b mode) as i get with my g card.

I can hardly wait for my Deluxe NetStumbler Kit and BUFFALO AirStation WLI-CB-G54S card. to really test out my net, and others.
LarryLaser

Postby Dutch » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:47 am

LarryLaser wrote:Hey streaker69
SoFar SoGood. I get the same SNR from my internal card (have used NS with it for years) in (802.11b mode) as i get with my g card.

I can hardly wait for my Deluxe NetStumbler Kit and BUFFALO AirStation WLI-CB-G54S card. to really test out my net, and others.

You need to re-read the NS documentation. Your card does NOT report SNR information correctly.

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby theprez98 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:48 am

LarryLaser wrote:I get the same SNR from my internal card (have used NS with it for years) in (802.11b mode) as i get with my g card..

They're probably both the same because they're both wrong.
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby Beard » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:58 am

LarryLaser wrote:And soon to be :D :cool: "WG-KIT03 Deluxe NetStumbler Kit " :cool: and a "BUFFALO AirStation WLI-CB-G54S" :rolleyes: card. just ordered this weekend.

I may consider this also so I can "connect to other wireless networks in your neighborhood" also. :rolleyes:
Beard

"We hold these truths to be self evident"....
Religous: "Thou shalt not steal."
Amish: "You shall burn in hell for theft of wifi." {courtesy streaker69}
Secular: What's on the books. {courtesy beakmyn}
Redneck; "Thievin' bastard, [blam, blam]"

Solutions for the most common problems or questions of new members are here, here, and here .
Beard

Postby Beard » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:00 am

LarryLaser wrote:Hey streaker69

Test? How?
Beard

"We hold these truths to be self evident"....
Religous: "Thou shalt not steal."
Amish: "You shall burn in hell for theft of wifi." {courtesy streaker69}
Secular: What's on the books. {courtesy beakmyn}
Redneck; "Thievin' bastard, [blam, blam]"

Solutions for the most common problems or questions of new members are here, here, and here .
Beard

Postby LarryLaser » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:04 am

Dutch wrote:You need to re-read the NS documentation. Your card does NOT report SNR information correctly.
Dutch
no offense Dutch or Psychic Amish Stumbler, but

I have read all of NS documentation and have been using NS for years on a number of box's, including Mini Stumbler on my iPAQ 5500 series.
I have 5 different wireless nic's (both usb and pci) and have always had got fairly good results from most of them.

I have used my iPAQ to war drive nets for others and map out their networks for best locations. with great success.

I consider myself as a neoGeek, because Computer Technology is like a dog, "1 year to a human is 7 years to a dog", for Technology, it's more like 1:25 yrs. I have been an electronics tech and engineer (services) for more than 20 years, I also have a few Degrees (Engineering related) and never stop reading and learning.
LarryLaser

Postby LarryLaser » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:05 am

Beard wrote:Test? How?

More accurate mapping
LarryLaser

Postby streaker69 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:07 am

LarryLaser wrote:no offense Dutch or Psychic Amish Stumbler, but

I have read all of NS documentation and have been using NS for years on a number of box's, including Mini Stumbler on my iPAQ 5500 series.
I have 5 different wireless nic's (both usb and pci) and have always had got fairly good results from most of them.

I have used my iPAQ to war drive nets for others and map out their networks for best locations. with great success.

I consider myself as a neoGeek, because Computer Technology is like a dog, "1 year to a human is 7 years to a dog", for Technology, it's more like 1:25 yrs. I have been an electronics tech and engineer (services) for more than 20 years, I also have a few Degrees (Engineering related) and never stop reading and learning.

If you've been using them for years, then you've been getting inaccurate results for years.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

PreviousNext

Return to NetStumbler