Changing the MAC of your card?

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Changing the MAC of your card?

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:57 am

How would you go about this with a lucent style card or clone.

Some AP's only allow certain MAC

just thought i would ask.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:37 pm

The option to change the MAC address should be right there in the client manager.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:33 am

Got a Buffalo version of the card and the airstation client manager does not have this option.

What about on ORiNOCO cards?

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:33 am

I cannot seem to find the change MAC option in kmy Client Manager.

...Damn i should probably be more awake when trying this too...

MAC attack.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:19 am

For some reason I had the same problem when I first started working with my Lucent Silver card. Like a good techie I had went out and downloaded the latest and greatest of Client manager and firmware and there was no option available to change my mac address. I downgraded to one of the 6.x versions of client manager and am now using the Wildpackets driver with excellent results.

Under Edit Configuration options, you should see an admin tab that lets you change the mac address.

John K.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:45 pm

Hi

hmmm, looks like someone could write a standalone program to change the mac adress....

someone here who feel able to do it?

CU AssetBurned

Change Mac Add....How to

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:28 pm

OK......I searched through my registry and found how to change the Mac Add......

I am in the proc of writting a utill for you all....

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:45 pm

Well done M8

Change your MacAddress

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:44 am

Ok having a little issue with my utill so for now you guys will have to change the Mac Address manually. Run regedit and look for the following key which is where all your netwok adapters will be located......

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}]

you will have to look for the subkey that is for your card, the first subkey will be \000. My wildPacket's driver were located at \002 and my Orinoco was at \009. Look for a string value called NetworkAddress, Win 2K will have it and on Win XP you will have to add it yourself. Just double click on NetworkAddress and set the value to what you want your new Mac to be.

I tried to uses Tron's suggestion of 002cdeadbeef and my card would not function properly. I did change it to 022cdeadbeef and it worked great. After you change the Mac just exit regedit, eject your card, reinsert, run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and you will see your new mac address.

I used ethereal and it did register my new mac address with my machine.....

Next project will be to run some testing on my AP with Mac filtering enabled and spoof my card so I can hit the network........

Re: Change your MacAddress

Postby fordem » Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:37 pm

Originally posted by TiGuy
Next project will be to run some testing on my AP with Mac filtering enabled and spoof my card so I can hit the network........

TiGuy

Were you able to get past MAC filtering?
fordem

Yes it worked

Postby TiGuy » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:36 pm

ok.....here is the setup;

Laptop
==========
Win XP
Orinoco Gold Firmware 6.16
Sniffer 4.7
Sniffer Drivers
DHCP Disabled

AP
=======
NetGear ME102 AP with no Wep, Broadcast SSID off, and Mac address list enabled.

Results
=======
Netstumbler picked up the AP for a second but could not see the AP after that. My laptop would not connect. XP Wireless service would not find the AP at all. Using Sniffer 4.7 we were able to see another laptop which gave us the SSID, IP, MAC address.

We turned off the transmitting laptop and pluged in its MAC for my laptop card, also gave it an IP in the same subnet. Guess what, it works, we were able to access all resources of the network.

Since this was tested in a lab environment and it was our network no laws have been broken. If you try this on your own in the wild you take that risk your self.

If any one has any questions just email me at klarsen@nowiresma.com

Latter,

TiGuy..
:D
TiGuy
Mini Stumbler

Postby systemd0wn » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:33 pm

you mean you turned off the laptop that was using the MAC address the AP was configured for, then changed the mac of your attacking client and got in?

Thought the point was to try with the other client still using that MAC?
Systemd0wn
'311 Transistor, its a lightning resistor'
systemd0wn

Postby SAWD » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:55 pm

Hey guys,

I have written a MAC changer for Win2k/XP if you guys are interested I'll post it up on http if one of you out there can host my "Groups" page.

Regards
l3n @ SAWD

s_a_w_d@yahoo.com
SAWD
Mini Stumbler

Postby systemd0wn » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:52 am

whats you 'groups' page?
Systemd0wn
'311 Transistor, its a lightning resistor'
systemd0wn

big mac with fries

Postby blackwave » Tue May 14, 2002 7:52 pm

I have yet to see a mac changer for ORiNOCO cards with the latest firmware and for XP.. would be great to see one. :) I thought I have exhausted my searches until this thread came back up again.
-=BW=-
blackwave

Next

Return to NetStumbler