Collected wish list for Network Stumbler

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Postby Scruge » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:08 pm

Wolphin wrote:Mapping a large rural area. To know where there is APs w/o having to stop, use directional antennas to get a bearing, and having to repeat several times.


I don't have any idea how its done. but the folks at Wigle can do it.
User avatar
Scruge
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:29 pm

Postby Wolphin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Scruge wrote:I don't have any idea how its done. but the folks at Wigle can do it.

It looks to me to jst be plotting netstumbler coordnates on a global map. You can submit a netstumbler file. What I want to be able to triangulate is antennas that can be seen by a laptop or pda at several km, and by a good antenna at 20+ km (LOS pending).
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Postby Starpoint » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:44 pm

Wolphin wrote:It looks to me to jst be plotting netstumbler coordnates on a global map. You can submit a netstumbler file. What I want to be able to triangulate is antennas that can be seen by a laptop or pda at several km, and by a good antenna at 20+ km (LOS pending).



You will need alot of tools for that.. which will cost you alot of $$$$.

Your best bet would be to just hire a pro.

I know in my city they were going to get a city wide WIFI, but it fell through. Personally I think its silly to have wifi sent TO your house for your home internet. Parks, playgrounds, bar's,libraries, strip joints, public places etc... sure, put up hot spots, but why have a wireless signal sent to your house? I would rather it be piped in via cable or DSL..(ok, FIBER is preffered but cannot afford that atm)
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...


Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
User avatar
Starpoint
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:47 pm
Location: Houston

Postby Wolphin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Starpoint wrote:You will need alot of tools for that.. which will cost you alot of $$$$.

Your best bet would be to just hire a pro.

I know in my city they were going to get a city wide WIFI, but it fell through. Personally I think its silly to have wifi sent TO your house for your home internet. Parks, playgrounds, bar's,libraries, strip joints, public places etc... sure, put up hot spots, but why have a wireless signal sent to your house? I would rather it be piped in via cable or DSL..(ok, FIBER is preffered but cannot afford that atm)

That's just it: I am a pro, and rural doesn't have any sort of cable, and phone only supports at best 33.3 kbps, and no DSL. So wireless is the best way (only way for online gaming). Fibre is usually about $30/m

They use mesh networks for the networks (each AP connects to several other APs wirelessly).
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Postby Scruge » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 pm

Wolphin wrote:It looks to me to jst be plotting netstumbler coordnates on a global map. You can submit a netstumbler file. What I want to be able to triangulate is antennas that can be seen by a laptop or pda at several km, and by a good antenna at 20+ km (LOS pending).


I agree, but they say they triangulate the data.
User avatar
Scruge
 
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:29 pm

Postby MikeP928 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Wolphin wrote:That's just it: I am a pro, and rural doesn't have any sort of cable, and phone only supports at best 33.3 kbps, and no DSL. So wireless is the best way (only way for online gaming). Fibre is usually about $30/m

They use mesh networks for the networks (each AP connects to several other APs wirelessly).


A "PRO" using Netstumbler as the primary tool for producing high grade maps?

We all use NS on a regular basis, but not in the situations you are describing.

For some reason the meter is starting to go off the scale.

[ATTACH]6372[/ATTACH]

MikeP
Attachments
bsmeter.gif
bsmeter.gif (2.93 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
User avatar
MikeP928
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 8:09 pm
Location: Florida Panhandle

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:06 pm

$30 a month for fiber? Jump on that shit!! I pay more than that for cable!
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
User avatar
Barry
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby Wolphin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:22 pm

MikeP928 wrote:A "PRO" using Netstumbler as the primary tool for producing high grade maps?

We all use NS on a regular basis, but not in the situations you are describing.

For some reason the meter is starting to go off the scale.

[ATTACH]6372[/ATTACH]

MikeP

no, I wouldn't use it to actually use it to make the map, just get the coordinates. I have a solution called Radio Mobile that works great for radio plots to generate the maps
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Postby Wolphin » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Barry wrote:$30 a month for fiber? Jump on that shit!! I pay more than that for cable!


no, $30 per metre - that's just for the physical cable, not including a point of presence, or internet feed
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 pm

Wolphin wrote:no, $30 per metre - that's just for the physical cable, not including a point of presence, or internet feed


Okay, that sounds normal.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
User avatar
Barry
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby Airstreamer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Barry wrote:Okay, that sounds normal.


Huh. I pay $30 for fiber per month. It's only 3mb/300k for internet though. The cable signal is piped in on it as well and split out at the house. The total bill is about $80 for IP + cable including the taxes. I can get POTS sent over the PON box, (ATM based,) but I've stuck with copper POTS for backup to the cell phones. I did get them to lift the bandwidth limitation once for testing and at the time, it went to over 15mb/sec symetrical. (And that was before we upgraded our POP access to multiple 100mbit connections..)
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
Airstreamer
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: A little North of Reason

Postby Wolphin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:39 am

Airstreamer wrote:Huh. I pay $30 for fiber per month. It's only 3mb/300k for internet though. The cable signal is piped in on it as well and split out at the house. The total bill is about $80 for IP + cable including the taxes. I can get POTS sent over the PON box, (ATM based,) but I've stuck with copper POTS for backup to the cell phones. I did get them to lift the bandwidth limitation once for testing and at the time, it went to over 15mb/sec symetrical. (And that was before we upgraded our POP access to multiple 100mbit connections..)

are you saying megabytes and kilobytes, or megabits and kilobits.
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Postby brwrdrvr » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 pm

Wolphin wrote:are you saying megabytes and kilobytes, or megabits and kilobits.


HAHAHHA

Now that's a funny ass question coming from a "Pro". A pro would know what he meant by a XXmb/sec connection speed.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
User avatar
brwrdrvr
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:26 pm
Location: Capitol City, Louisiana

Postby beakmyn » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:53 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:HAHAHHA

Now that's a funny ass question coming from a "Pro". A pro would know what he meant by a XXmb/sec connection speed.


I thought it is 0.0# Gigacycles.
beakmyn
 
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:53 pm

Postby streaker69 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:42 pm

beakmyn wrote:I thought it is 0.0# Gigacycles.


But you must first generate 1.21 jigawatts.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

PreviousNext

Return to NetStumbler

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron