Collected wish list for Network Stumbler

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Postby Thorn » Wed May 03, 2006 5:08 am

Tech^Cellfish wrote:My wishes:

1. Delete all points without GPS

2. Option to prevent standby, screensaver, turn of screen.

3. Option to autosave every minute/ no. of networks.

4. Cleanup when merging with other utils NS1 exports. Example: WiFiFoFum2 puts clamps [] around channel numbers, would be nice to get rid of that.

Some of this can be done already.

1. This is easy enough to do manually, but if you want to automate it, it's aasily done with a script.
2. Those are OS functions. Suggestion: Make a "WarDriver" or "NetStumbler" scheme with the needed screen colors, no screensave, etc., and use that before using NetStumbler.
3. NS does this at 5 minutes already. If you want a different time, there are scripts to do this. Look in the Scripts Forum.
4. <shrug> That sounds like an issue with WiFiFoFum2 not conforming to the NS1 file specification. The question becomes whether Marius wants to deal with other people's mistakes. My inclination would be to complain to the WiFiFoFum author, and have him fix his own work.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby TAz00 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:12 am

Better pinpointing of aps like kismet has, using GPS

And Open Source
TAz00

Postby streaker69 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:17 am

TAz00 wrote:Better pinpointing of aps like kismet has, using GPS

And Open Source

How would the pinpointing be better, without using triangulation?

It cannot be Open Source because the Author has NDA's with certain companines in relation to the writing of NS. Therefore it must always be closed.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Thorn » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:26 am

TAz00 wrote:And Open Source
[color="Red"][SIZE="5"]NetStumbler can never be open source.[/SIZE][/color] NDAs prevent it from happening.

This has been explained several thousand times.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:37 am

TAz00 wrote:Better pinpointing of aps like kismet has, using GPS

WTF for?

And Open Source

Dumbass!

http://www.stumbler.net/index.php?cat=4

Sun 1 Feb 2004
Source Code
Posted in FAQ by mariusm #
Q: Can I see the NetStumbler source code? Is it open source? Etc...
A: NetStumbler is not open source. Indeed it contains a lot of code that was developed under Non-Disclosure Agreements, and the source cannot be released to the general public - if I do so then several teams of lawyers will show up on my doorstep.
wrzwaldo

Postby i_do_dew » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:01 am

King_Ice_Flash wrote:Since our requests for features ended up jumbled all over the place, and I am such a neat freak, here is your newfangled bungalow for begging.

Aaww, here it goes!

Things I would like to see in future versions of NetStumbler:

Support for multiple cards

Ability to select which channels/bands the cards scan from within NS

A button to start/stop the WZC service.

Umm doesnt this functionality exist already? NS starts and stops it when it launches if the check box is selected in prefs. My solution is to DISABLE it from starting to begin with (ever) under Services. If you are REALLY LAZY make a shortcut on the desktop to "%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc" /s

Support for the latest Agere Orinoco drivers (windows_drivers_sr02-2.3).

Passthrough for GPS to another virtual port.

If your application doesnt support GPSd complain to them. Alternitively there are 2 comercial applications each about $99 that do it, and one free one called XPort that I saw on mp3car.com.

External OUI list so we could update the vender database.

Fix of the Orinoco Classic crashing (Good luck)

I'd really like to see full support for intersil/prisim cards but I know that is more a problem with them and not Marius.

The Ediitable OUI would be a god send, It is the most anoying thing about the current version.

Another thing would be the ability to save all data reguarding all signals so the preatty signal strenth charts could be recreated in netstumbler from a loaded file (yes this would need a disclaimer for file size increase) but you don't have to use it and with 120G drives available who really cares?

The last thing and it goes along with the with some people have for editable prefs (netstumbler needs INI files!) would be a way to save configurations. for example if you are autosaving, a way to set it to a faster time than 5 minutes (you can drive a long way in 5 minutes) Does NS do a full file write then or just an append of new data? for my uses every 30 seconds would be about right.

After I get done moving, I'll be able to donate, or maybe even buy him (Marius) a toy. I can deffinately send him one of my cards to test with if he is still looking for those. its a Senao rebadged for SonicWall (11b 200mw card), and is Intersil chipseted.
i_do_dew

Postby dakkon2k » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:13 pm

i_do_dew wrote:Umm doesnt this functionality exist already? NS starts and stops it when it launches if the check box is selected in prefs. My solution is to DISABLE it from starting to begin with (ever) under Services. If you are REALLY LAZY make a shortcut on the desktop to "%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc" /s

Reading comp. 101 is important here..

Point A: SUPPORT multiple cards, either as Hermes, Prism, Atheros chipsets not just Hermes. NS is COMPATIBLE with multiple cards useing the NDIS driver, however that driver does NOT report correct readings.

Point B: Ability to select which channels/bands the cards scan from within NS.
NS scans all channels/Freq. in the US WiFi band, no choice. This would be nice as you can "script" kismet to do this.

Point C: A button to start/stop the WZC service.
I'd like to see another button to disable WZC & TCP/IP

i_do_dew wrote:If your application doesnt support GPSd complain to them. Alternitively there are 2 comercial applications each about $99 that do it, and one free one called XPort that I saw on mp3car.com.

WTF you talkin' about Willis?
This is windoze NOT *ix, A lot of us here use gpsgatefrom fransonfor $29.95 or $9.95 works great and seems to work with most anything out there.

i_do_dew wrote:I'd really like to see full support for intersil/prisim cards but I know that is more a problem with them and not Marius.

How is that not Marius's problem? He has to code it to work with those drivers. I'm betting Intersil/Prism isn't going to work with him like the Hermes people did. I'd also bet the SDK/Tech White papers are NOT cheap either.

i_do_dew wrote:The Ediitable OUI would be a god send, It is the most anoying thing about the current version.

A skinable app, could be cool.

i_do_dew wrote:Another thing would be the ability to save all data reguarding all signals so the preatty signal strenth charts could be recreated in netstumbler from a loaded file (yes this would need a disclaimer for file size increase) but you don't have to use it and with 120G drives available who really cares?

I could see where this would be useful, eg. export to excel or something similar like maybe Google earth.

i_do_dew wrote:The last thing and it goes along with the with some people have for editable prefs (netstumbler needs INI files!) would be a way to save configurations. for example if you are autosaving, a way to set it to a faster time than 5 minutes (you can drive a long way in 5 minutes) Does NS do a full file write then or just an append of new data? for my uses every 30 seconds would be about right.

There is some scripts that do this already, check out the scrpting section.

i_do_dew wrote:After I get done moving, I'll be able to donate, or maybe even buy him (Marius) a toy. I can deffinately send him one of my cards to test with if he is still looking for those. its a Senao rebadged for SonicWall (11b 200mw card), and is Intersil chipseted.

Do both! Send him a C-Note and a card(wifi), I bet he would like that.
Unable to apply patch, Please install M$ Outlook to continue. :confused:
A journey of a thousand posts begins with How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dakkon2k

Location: Quite a bit EAST & a smidgen south of the world famous Rat. 2 miles from the beach or 1/2 a mile

sheesh

Postby i_do_dew » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:58 pm

dakkon2k wrote:WTF you talkin' about Willis?
This is windoze NOT *ix, A lot of us here use gpsgatefrom fransonfor $29.95 or $9.95 works great and seems to work with most anything out there.

DUH, it is a WinDoesn't program, I'm Using Netstumbler and that is a WinDoesn't program too, Imagine that :confused: . It works quite nicely with a GPS compass program by the same author, it virtualizes up to 8 ports (numbered though 15) from the one the GPS is hooked to and shows the GPS data from the source port on its status line when everything is going well.

So I run the compass, NS, and S&T from my Garman 35PC OEM sensor hooked to COM1 and virtualized to COMs 5-8. I do have to shut it down if I want to sync my PDA though anything but IR though.

I know how people here are about spooning, but this is in their Newbies GPS FAQ. Which comes up second when you search their forums for XPORT and GPS. Just look for the [color="Red"]RED[/color] word.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50579
i_do_dew

Postby wrzwaldo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:16 pm

i_do_dew wrote:DUH, it is a WinDoesn't program, I'm Using Netstumbler and that is a WinDoesn't program too, Imagine that :confused: . It works quite nicely with a GPS compass program by the same author, it virtualizes up to 8 ports (numbered though 15) from the one the GPS is hooked to and shows the GPS data from the source port on its status line when everything is going well.

So I run the compass, NS, and S&T from my Garman 35PC OEM sensor hooked to COM1 and virtualized to COMs 5-8. I do have to shut it down if I want to sync my PDA though anything but IR though.

I know how people here are about spooning, but this is in their Newbies GPS FAQ. Which comes up second when you search their forums for XPORT and GPS. Just look for the [color="Red"]RED[/color] word.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50579

Now I'm confused. You said GPSd, that is not a windows program.

If your application doesnt support GPSd complain to them. Alternitively there are 2 comercial applications each about $99 that do it, and one free one called XPort that I saw on mp3car.com.
wrzwaldo

Postby i_do_dew » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:00 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:Now I'm confused. You said GPSd, that is not a windows program.

Ok, if that is where the confusion lies. There is a VB Script/EXE pair of files for NS which is a basic GPSd server created for output to applications like JiGLE. I'd rather JiGLE supported an option for com port GPS data though that request goes on a different forum. The lowercase d is just a naming convention taken from unix for server/service applications. Nothing would prevent the author calling it anything he wants to but in this case it is the most accurate.

http://www.musatcha.com

Incidently, there is a script by Beakmyn which converts .NS1 files to .KML data to be loaded into GoogleEarth. It was mentioned in this excellent article by Dutch for doing the same with Kismet.

http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=18998

My only real problem with any script is that you cannot run more than one at a time unless you can program, which I cannot. At least not VB, not that I even want to try. I want to avoid having brain cells commiting suicide.
i_do_dew

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:10 am

What I was refering to was the ability for NS to be able to scan with more than 1 card in the laptop at a time without having to open multiple windows of NS. I believe that NS only uses 1 card if you select "Use any suitable device" it only uses 1 device (It has been a long time since I have examined this behavior). It would be nice to have 1 card scanning the 802.11a channels, while the other is scanning the "B" channels.

OUI has nothing to do with skins.
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

Also having the ability to select different channels, you can detect a lot more APs by scanning the frequently used frequencies (1,6,11).

The main problem I was having was that GPSDrive only converts Garmin binary to NMEA. Mapsource only uses Garmin Binary (Depending on which version you use), eventhough they claim to support NMEA. The result of this is that I am unable to use both NS and Mapsource at the same time. If NS could spit out data onto another virtual com port, it would be very useful to a few people who would like to run mapping software while running NS.

Quite often, NS leaves Wireless Zero Config disabled when you exit if you had it enabled before you started NS and used autoconfigure. Also, having WZC enabled appears to have problems when you start NS. A button to disable/enable the WZC service would be easy to add and I think it would be very useful.

I never thought of a option to disable TCP/IP. Good idea, I will add it to my list on the first page.

Hope this helps clear things up.
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby Blaze312 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:01 pm

The option to turn on and off TCP/IP would be very useful.

My only other request although it is somewhat of a lame one, is to add more devices to the vendor list. When I first started using NS only about 5% - 10% of the points showed up as a fake vendor. Now over half of the points show up as a fake vendor.
Blaze312
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Blaze312 wrote:My only other request although it is somewhat of a lame one, is to add more devices to the vendor list. When I first started using NS only about 5% - 10% of the points showed up as a fake vendor. Now over half of the points show up as a fake vendor.

Allready been suggested in the start of the thread. Look for the post regarding a user updateable way of managing the OUI list.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

a different request....

Postby i_do_dew » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:11 pm

at this point I just want a new version.... 0.40 is getting old. It could almost be consided a dead product. I know Marius has to do paying work, but if the reset of us dont sleep, neither should he ;) j/k and in reguards to the earlier post, if I had $100 to spare and I thought it would get a new version out the door, it would be on the way.
i_do_dew

Postby itsnotme » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:02 am

[quote="i_do_dew"]at this point I just want a new version.... 0.40 is getting old. It could almost be consided a dead product. I know Marius has to do paying work, but if the reset of us dont sleep, neither should he ]

(sighs) Like the rest of us, why don't you just send what you CAN. You do know, bitching about the current version being old puts off the release date of the new version. Didn't you read the FAQ about this? I guess the new version is coming out in 2025 now.
itsnotme

PreviousNext

Return to NetStumbler