deal?

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

deal?

Postby i_do_dew » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:55 am

Interesting, my own thread locked without a reason why. I'm unable to ask a follow up question, Im not asking for a spooning.

Im wondering why a forum that is supposedly for a given topic is locked and where the correct place to post is?

I am guessing that thousands of newbs ask about which antenna they should buy -- this is something I dont need. I'm looking for a little help on an antenna arrangement/design that I want to see if is feasable - to see if there are any gotchas

The question I have about the setup has nothing to do with why I'm unable to post. So I havnt spelled out the real question, because this post is in the wrong place. I shouldnt need to spell this out, which is why I didnt before, that is spooning.

I find it amazingly uncoopertive (sic) almost as good as MetaGeeks forums, but different. Note, Im not asking this in their forum because it has nothing to do with them. NS is one of the apps I plan on using my design with so it would make sense that I ask here at least that is how it generaly works with other products Ive supported. Since this may be locked when I get home from work, I'll just need to open another topic. Maybe blue turnip bashing or something equally unrelated. This place is begining to remind me of the potential usenet movie idea I had, "When Ego's Attack".
i_do_dew

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:17 am

i_do_dew wrote:Interesting, my own thread locked without a reason why. I'm unable to ask a follow up question, Im not asking for a spooning.

Im wondering why a forum that is supposedly for a given topic is locked and where the correct place to post is?

I am guessing that thousands of newbs ask about which antenna they should buy -- this is something I dont need. I'm looking for a little help on an antenna arrangement/design that I want to see if is feasable - to see if there are any gotchas

The question I have about the setup has nothing to do with why I'm unable to post. So I havnt spelled out the real question, because this post is in the wrong place. I shouldnt need to spell this out, which is why I didnt before, that is spooning.

I find it amazingly uncoopertive (sic) almost as good as MetaGeeks forums, but different. Note, Im not asking this in their forum because it has nothing to do with them. NS is one of the apps I plan on using my design with so it would make sense that I ask here at least that is how it generaly works with other products Ive supported. Since this may be locked when I get home from work, I'll just need to open another topic. Maybe blue turnip bashing or something equally unrelated. This place is begining to remind me of the potential usenet movie idea I had, "When Ego's Attack".

I'm guessing because you don't know how to read?

http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=5742
[color="Red"][SIZE="7"]Due to the shear number of people who kept posting general questions in the FAQs Forums, they have been closed.[/SIZE][/color]

If you have a question you who like to submit to the FAQs, please post it in a regular area, and contact a Moderator. The Mod will then move it to the correct FAQ section.

And

The Administrator, Super Moderators and Moderators of Netstumbler.org have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason...

Had you of read the rules your WMPH post would of not been necessary.
wrzwaldo

Postby Thorn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:25 am

i_do_dew wrote:Interesting, my own thread locked without a reason why. I'm unable to ask a follow up question, Im not asking for a spooning.

Huh? I just looked at every thread you ever posted in, and none are locked.

If you're asking about the Antenna Forums, they were specifically designed years ago as FAQs. In fact, if you look at the order on the front page of the forums, "Antennas" is listed under FAQs along with NetStumbler, MiniStumbler, WarDriving and WiFi. All of them a FAQs only, and are there just to answer (gosh!) FAQs.

They were locked because we ended up with a lot of people posting general questions in there, who seem to be incapable of reading the intro where they were said to be "FAQ ONLY." Ego didn't enter into it at all. It was the mods getting sick and tired of moving non-FAQ threads out of the FAQ Forums.

If you want to ask a question about antennas, then please do so in the Hardware Forum.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:30 am

It was this flamebait post.

http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?t=21699
Is there any reason why new Topics are not allowed in the Antenna forum? No, this wasn't going to be a newbie/FAQ question, but rather a request for review of an Idea I had for a setup. Since it isn't an 'actual' setup it shouldn't go there should it? The idea is complete with cheezy homemade graphic for clarification.

Fortunately he was kind enough to start another. ;)
wrzwaldo

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:36 am

Thorn wrote:They were locked because we ended up with a lot of people posting general questions in there, who seem to be incapable of reading the intro where they were said to be "FAQ ONLY." Ego didn't enter into it at all. It was the mods getting sick and tired of moving non-FAQ threads out of the FAQ Forums.

Bingo!
This has resulted in senior members unhappy with newbies, and increased flames, [color="Red"]and people crying when their threads are locked, deleted or moved[/color].
wrzwaldo

Postby Barry » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:47 am

Isn't that pretty much what I said??
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:53 am

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:56 am

Barry wrote:Isn't that pretty much what I said??

I forget, lets review...

You said.

http://www.netstumbler.org/showpost.php?p=182679&postcount=2

Yep that's about it.
wrzwaldo

ah it seems I've been blind

Postby i_do_dew » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:01 am

Thx wzwaldo,
I read the FAQ's aeons ago, when I first joined the forums but I must not have read that one, otherwide I would probably have remembered.

That helpful flambe could have been put in the other post, and wouldnt have necesitated this one. Anyway I'll mosey over to hardware and post my question, lock away. I would but it seems I cant delete/lock my own blindness.

well you did say that barry, but you also wouldnt/couldnt/didnt want to provide other information. the rest of the comments with the execption of the case of beer which got my hopes up for a short time, were as I see most forums of just people playing off eachother.
----
WiGLE it, even if it's just a little bit....
As of Oct 17, 2007
47,544 - Total New Discovered Networks w/ GPS
67,414 - All Networks Recorded
i_do_dew

Postby streaker69 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:03 am

i_do_dew wrote:Thx wzwaldo,
I read the FAQ's aeons ago, when I first joined the forums but I must not have read that one, otherwide I would probably have remembered.

That helpful flambe could have been put in the other post, and wouldnt have necesitated this one. Anyway I'll mosey over to hardware and post my question, lock away. I would but it seems I cant delete/lock my own blindness.

well you did say that barry, but you also wouldnt/couldnt/didnt want to provide other information. the rest of the comments with the execption of the case of beer which got my hopes up for a short time, were as I see most forums of just people playing off eachother.

While you're reading things, be sure to stop by the Welcome Desk and read the post regarding the proper use of English and and Capital Letters when posting on these forums.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Barry » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:08 am

My bad, thought you'd get the hint... :rolleyes:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Monitr7 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:40 am

Th[color="Red"]anks[/color], w[color="red"]r[/color]zwaldo[color="red"].[/color] I read the FAQ's aeons ago[color="red"][SIZE="1"]comma deleted[/SIZE][/color] when I first joined the forums[color="red"],[/color] but I must [color="red"]have not[/color] read that one, otherwi[color="red"]s[/color]e I would [color="red"]have probably[/color] remembered.

That helpful flambe could have been put in the other post, and wouldn[color="red"]'[/color]t have necesitated this one. Anyway[color="red"],[/color] I'll mosey over to hardware and post my question, lock away[color="red"] huh?[/color]. I would[color="red"],[/color] but it seems I can[color="red"]'[/color]t delete/lock my own blindness.

[color="red"]W[/color]ell[color="red"],[/color] you did say that [color="red"]B[/color]arry, but you also wouldn[color="red"]'[/color]t/couldn[color="red"]'[/color]t/didn[color="red"]'[/color]t want to provide other information. [color="red"]T[/color]he rest of the comments [color="red"]([/color]with the execption of the case of beer which got my hopes up for a short time[color="red"])[/color] were[color="Red"],[/color] as I see[color="red"],[/color] most forums of just people playing off [color="red"]of[/color] eachother [color="red"]huh?[/color].

Just some helpful grammar hints. Please feel free to use them. Nit-picking? You bet!

Your Grammar Inspector,
M-7
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Postby i_do_dew » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:59 am

I'm not sure I remember typing "huh?" all of the time, but maybe that is a common thing to mis-remember. Must be the WTotD. On that note I need to attend the place which pays the rent. I'll be back in 12 hours or so.

If you find yourselves unoccupied until I return feel free to play:
http://www.chiliahedron.com/ballroom/
----
WiGLE it, even if it's just a little bit....
As of Oct 17, 2007
47,544 - Total New Discovered Networks w/ GPS
67,414 - All Networks Recorded
i_do_dew

Postby beakmyn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:12 am

Don't make me send the mayor over there to kick your ass.

[url=Something to make the regulars proud]http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612090354[/url]
beakmyn

Postby Monitr7 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:34 am

i_do_dew wrote:I'm not sure I remember typing "huh?" all of the time, but maybe that is a common thing to mis-remember.

No, you didn't type the aforementioned "huh". I did, as it was more polite than typing "WTF?". Parts of your statement (immediately preceding said "huh?") didn't make sense.

Now that I think of it, the above quote has an almost "Citrus" smell to it...
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Next

Return to NetStumbler