Frequent BSODs after installing (and uninstalling)

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Frequent BSODs after installing (and uninstalling)

Postby mycelo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:23 am

I'm having BSODs since I installed and ran Netstumbler for the first time (the first occurred when I ran it for a few seconds). Uninstalling it didn't help, I'm still having constant IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error in the mrv8000c.sys file. I just installed this utility to avoid wi-fi channel conflicts with my neighbours.

My system was always very stable for months, and absolutely nothing else was changed. I didn't know that such small utility could cause me such scary trouble. My PC is pretty much unusable right now, I have to type fast so to finish this post before the next BSOD.

I'd like to know exactly what netstumblerinstaller_0_4_0.exe installer changed in my system (registry and system files) so I can roll back all the changes properly. It seems that the unistaller doesn't undo all changes :mad:

Oh and I already reinstalled my wi-fi card drivers, and searched this very forum and Google exaustively, before someone suggest. I really need a dev attention here.

specs:

Windows XP SP2
Intel i875BNZ
Pentium 4C HT 2.6Ghz
2x Infineon 1Gb
Encore ENLWI-G 802.11b/g (Marvell 8335 chipset)

Please help, any opinions are appreciated.

mycelo
mycelo
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 am

I highly doubt NS had anything to do with this. But you did install and try to use it with unsupported hardware.
wrzwaldo

Postby mycelo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:32 am

Ok, I really did, I take this blame.

But now it's uninstalled, and it did something to my system that it forgot to roll back.

mycelo
mycelo
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:38 am

mycelo wrote:Ok, I really did, I take this blame.

But now it's uninstalled, and it did something to my system that it forgot to roll back.

mycelo

No, I'm pretty sure you have another problem. I just looked through my registry and the changes it makes would not cause the problem you are having. Keep looking I'm sure you'll find the problem.
wrzwaldo

Postby mycelo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:48 am

May you tell me please which registry variables and system files that it changes? And why these changes aren't rolled back by the uninstaller?

I could just install it along regmon/filemon so I can log all changes, but I'm very afraid of this installer right now.

Quite frankly, the only thing that changed in my PC when I started to have problems was this utility. I can't think of another reason to my system suddenly turning from rock-solid to a BSOD-hell. I wasn't seeing a BSOD since I replaced my generic RAM sticks, and even that BSODs were not so frequent at all.

mycelo
mycelo
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:49 am

mycelo wrote:I'm having BSODs since I installed and ran Netstumbler for the first time (the first occurred when I ran it for a few seconds). Uninstalling it didn't help, I'm still having constant IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error in the mrv8000c.sys file. I just installed this utility to avoid wi-fi channel conflicts with my neighbours.

My system was always very stable for months, and absolutely nothing else was changed. I didn't know that such small utility could cause me such scary trouble. My PC is pretty much unusable right now, I have to type fast so to finish this post before the next BSOD.

I'd like to know exactly what netstumblerinstaller_0_4_0.exe installer changed in my system (registry and system files) so I can roll back all the changes properly. It seems that the unistaller doesn't undo all changes :mad:

Oh and I already reinstalled my wi-fi card drivers, and searched this very forum and Google exaustively, before someone suggest. I really need a dev attention here.

specs:

Windows XP SP2
Intel i875BNZ
Pentium 4C HT 2.6Ghz
2x Infineon 1Gb
Encore ENLWI-G 802.11b/g (Marvell 8335 chipset)

Please help, any opinions are appreciated.

mycelo

Chances are you probably shouldn't have installed it on a system with an unsupported/noncompatible Wificard.

The error you're getting is actually related to your wifi card's driver. What did the people that support your wifi card say when you asked them what could be wrong?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby mycelo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:56 am

streaker69 wrote:Chances are you probably shouldn't have installed it on a system with an unsupported/noncompatible Wificard.

Unfortunately I didn't see such warning in the download page.

streaker69 wrote:The error you're getting is actually related to your wifi card's driver. What did the people that support your wifi card say when you asked them what could be wrong?

To reinstall the driver, which I did.

But I still have strong feelings (and evidence) that this installer is the source of my troubles (see my previous post).

Thanks for the replies.

mycelo
mycelo
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:57 am

mycelo wrote:Unfortunately I didn't see such warning in the download page.

But I still have strong feelings (and evidence) that this installer is the source of my troubles (see my previous post).

Thanks for the replies.

mycelo

Have you restored to a previously created Restore Point? Can you boot into Safe Mode? Have you tried sacrificing a goat under the full moon?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:59 am

mycelo wrote:May you tell me please which registry variables and system files that it changes? And why these changes aren't rolled back by the uninstaller?

I could just install it along regmon/filemon so I can log all changes, but I'm very afraid of this installer right now.

Quite frankly, the only thing that changed in my PC when I started to have problems was this utility. I can't think of another reason to my system suddenly turning from rock-solid to a BSOD-hell. I wasn't seeing a BSOD since I replaced my generic RAM sticks, and even that BSODs were not so frequent at all.

mycelo

Run regedit and search for yourself...

I can say with 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% certainty that NS did not cause your problem. It does not modify drivers!
wrzwaldo

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:01 am

Thanks for the replies.

mycelo

An IRQ_LESS_OR_EQL error is allways hardware related. Furthermore, if it was due to the installer, don't you think someone else would have experienced the problem during the 3 years thats gone since that installationarchive was released ? It's not like you are the first ever to install Network Stumbler on a PC....

If you are so worried then use WinXP's system restore to go back to a point before you installed NS. Your registry will then be exactly like it was at that point in time when the system restore point was generated.

What I am certain of, is that this a Fault40 situation. (Fault 15.748031496 situation if you're in the US/UK or any other non-metric country.)

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:01 am

But you did research the software before you installed it right? I mean why would you install software you knew nothing about?
wrzwaldo

Postby streaker69 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:04 am

Dutch wrote:An IRQ_LESS_OR_EQL error is allways hardware related. Furthermore, if it was due to the installer, don't you think someone else would have experienced the problem during the 3 years thats gone since that installationarchive was released ? It's not like you are the first ever to install Network Stumbler on a PC....

If you are so worried then use WinXP's system restore to go back to a point before you installed NS. Your registry will then be exactly like it was at that point in time when the system restore point was generated.

Dutch

I agree with Dutch, sounds like your super hi-tech, ub3rl33t wifi card is dead/dying/belching up the ghost. Buy a new card.
streaker69

Postby mycelo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:12 am

streaker69 wrote:Have you restored to a previously created Restore Point?

No, I'm a paranoid freak that disables every "useless" system service to conserve CPU/RAM, but I'm almost killing myself right now.

streaker69 wrote:Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Yes. Disabling the wi-fi card leads to a stable system again. But a stable system without Internet.

streaker69 wrote:Have you tried sacrificing a goat under the full moon?

Finally a reasonable suggestion :D

wrzwaldo wrote:I can say with 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 99999999999999999999999999999% certainty that NS did not cause your problem. It does not modify drivers!

So I still have 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% to be concerned about.

Dutch wrote:An IRQ_LESS_OR_EQL error is allways hardware related. Furthermore, if it was due to the installer, don't you think someone else would have experienced the problem during the 3 years thats gone since that installationarchive was released ? It's not like you are the first ever to install Network Stumbler on a PC....

Ok. Maybe my wi-fi card burned at the same moment that I installed it.
Now that I'm almost convinced, can you guys recommend some wi-fi PCI brand? I'm about to go buy another.

wrzwaldo wrote:But you did research the software before you installed it right? I mean why would you install software you knew nothing about?

:o

streaker69 wrote:I agree with Dutch, sounds like your super hi-tech, ub3rl33t wifi card is dead/dying/belching up the ghost. Buy a new card.

My wallet hurts. If the BSODs don't stop, I'll charge you guys :D

mycelo
mycelo
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:15 am

mycelo wrote:No, I'm a paranoid freak that disables every "useless" system service to conserve CPU/RAM, but I'm almost killing myself right now.

Yes. Disabling the wi-fi card leads to a stable system again. But a stable system without Internet.

Finally a reasonable suggestion :D

So I still have 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% to be concerned about.

Ok. Maybe my wi-fi card burned at the same moment that I installed it.
Now that I'm almost convinced, can you guys recommend some wi-fi PCI brand? I'm about to go buy another.

:o

mycelo

I actually think this one has got a chance for survival... :eek:

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby streaker69 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:18 am

mycelo wrote:

mycelo

Send the bill to Dutch, since mail to and from him never seems to get anywhere.
streaker69

Next

Return to NetStumbler