IBM Thinkpad 1400 No GPS

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

IBM Thinkpad 1400 No GPS

Postby Porro » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:26 am

Searched the web, searched here, can't figure this one out.

I have and Earthmate and Tripmate Serial, I don't care which one I use for stumbling. Both work on Dell, Compaq and Toshiba computers so it's not the GPS.

Windows 2000, (fresh install) Netstumbler finds the networks fine when I = VIEW > OPTIONS > GPS for either one I get GPS: Disconnected, Timed Out. Even if I get it to read Listening, it still ends up GPS: Timed Out. Error opening serial port is another one.

Checked com3, even though there is no com3 on this laptop. ;)

Reset port to 8n1 4800, tried 9600 and 4800 on both GPS. Uninstall serial port and let the computer find it again.

Is this an old Thinkpad issue, with limited resources, possibly Windows 2k problem. Yes I update the serial port drivers.

I know it's not a NS problem, but a hardware/device problem, but anyone have experience with this?
Porro
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:45 am

[quote="Porro"]Searched the web, searched here, can't figure this one out.

I have and Earthmate and Tripmate Serial, I don't care which one I use for stumbling. Both work on Dell, Compaq and Toshiba computers so it's not the GPS.

Windows 2000, (fresh install) Netstumbler finds the networks fine when I = VIEW > OPTIONS > GPS for either one I get GPS: Disconnected, Timed Out. Even if I get it to read Listening, it still ends up GPS: Timed Out. Error opening serial port is another one.

Checked com3, even though there is no com3 on this laptop. ]

Has the GPS been properly initialized?

If not you need to init per manufacturers instructions. If yes then try the following.

Open Hyperterminal, can you see the NMEA sentences? If not configure comms until you do. Then use those settings in NS.
wrzwaldo

Postby Porro » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:39 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:Has the GPS been properly initialized?

If not you need to init per manufacturers instructions. If yes then try the following.

Open Hyperterminal, can you see the NMEA sentences? If not configure comms until you do. Then use those settings in NS.

I saw messages about hyperterminal before but didn't know what it was. Should have known from modem days. Just in case someone else finds this...

START > RUN > HYPERTRM

(Hyperterminal asks for connection type) Cancel

File > Properties > Connect Using > com1

OK

Both of the other computers that work I get a string of @b or @u or @j and a connecting duration time.

Thinkpad: Down in the lower left it says Disconnected.
Main box, blank.

I suspect there's something wrong with Com1 on the Thinkpad. No reason why the same GPS, either of them will work on three other computers and not this one.

Thanks for clearing up what Hyperterminal was.

Also ran TripMate.exe on the same system. Nothing.

Normally the program would find satellites and show them on the tracking screen.
Porro
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:45 pm

Porro wrote:I saw messages about hyperterminal before but didn't know what it was. Should have known from modem days. Just in case someone else finds this...

START > RUN > HYPERTRM

(Hyperterminal asks for connection type) Cancel

File > Properties > Connect Using > com1

OK

Both of the other computers that work I get a string of @b or @u or @j and a connecting duration time.

Thinkpad: Down in the lower left it says Disconnected.
Main box, blank.

I suspect there's something wrong with Com1 on the Thinkpad. No reason why the same GPS, either of them will work on three other computers and not this one.

Thanks for clearing up what Hyperterminal was.

Also ran TripMate.exe on the same system. Nothing.

Normally the program would find satellites and show them on the tracking screen.

Check that the comport is enabled in the bios.

http://members.ispwest.com/kd7ts/html/BIOS.html

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby Porro » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:21 am

Dutch wrote:Check that the comport is enabled in the bios.

http://members.ispwest.com/kd7ts/html/BIOS.html

Dutch

No it didn't take me two days to write and say thank you, it took two days of fighting the system, for me to finally give up. I hate searching sites for answers and finding only questions, so I'm closing this case. :(

IBM Thinkpad 2611 aka 1400-451, Windows 2000 (because same system with Windows 98 would boot with a network card and lost video)

Did bios update, every update on the IBM site, every configuration utility and system tool was used, as far as I could see possible. Changed com1 to com2 moved the address. Finally last night I disabled the LT winmodem and removed the com port in the configuration. When I looked at devices it says COM1 and COM3 (in use)

Something on that particular laptop uses the com ports and is in effect in conflict with itself. IBM configuration utility is not supported by this particular model.

Never got any com port to see a GPS. I give up.

Moving on... ;)

ps Netstumbler runs fine, just no GPS.
Porro
Mini Stumbler

Return to NetStumbler