Lackluster performance with Hawking hwug1 card

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Lackluster performance with Hawking hwug1 card

Postby TheSpitfire » Tue May 22, 2007 3:58 am

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please be gentle! I just got a Hawking USB wireless card, (model number HWUG1) and I'm trying to get it to work with Network Stumbler. It works, sort of, but the performance is pretty terrible, (in that it fails to see some networks that I know are there) and it doesn't display SSID's in the scanning window.

The chipset is rt73, and I was just wondering if anyone here has any tips or tricks on how to get this thing working.

I'm running windows XP home with network stumbler 0.4.0.

Thanks!
TheSpitfire
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 am

TheSpitfire wrote:Hi all,

This is my first post here, so please be gentle! I just got a Hawking USB wireless card, (model number HWUG1) and I'm trying to get it to work with Network Stumbler. It works, sort of, but the performance is pretty terrible, (in that it fails to see some networks that I know are there) and it doesn't display SSID's in the scanning window.

The chipset is rt73, and I was just wondering if anyone here has any tips or tricks on how to get this thing working.

Thanks!

Unsupported hardware is bound to give undesirable results.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Dutch » Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 am

Thanks!

Unsupported hardware does show that behaviour.
You can try to upgrade/downgrade your drivers, since different versions fix and break difference things.
But it will still be unsupported hardware, and the measurements you get in the signal and noise displays will be worthless.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby Starpoint » Tue May 22, 2007 4:05 am

Thanks!

I would look in the forum that states "Cards that reportedly work with NS" note, the only TRULY supported card is the Orinoco Classic with the Hermes chipset.. there might be others as I am typing this while low on caffeine..
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby TheSpitfire » Tue May 22, 2007 5:27 am

Thanks for the quick replies- I appreciate the help. I'm going to keep trying to get a decent response out of this card, and if I do, I'll report back with my findings.

Thanks again!
TheSpitfire
Mini Stumbler

Return to NetStumbler