Multiple Instances of NetStumbler

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Multiple Instances of NetStumbler

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:09 pm

Just a teaser screenshot of 3 instances of NetStumbler controlling each their NIC, all three NS instances plotting data to a single Microsoft Mappoint 2004 instance and verbally announcing networks, courtesy of a new Goldfndr adapted version of the Masterscript, while at the same time Microsoft AutoRoute 2006 provides written and verbal route guidance.

[ATTACH]5781[/ATTACH]

Top NS instance controls a Phillips SNU5600 zydas 1211 USB Nic, which was taped to the inside of the windscreen.
Second NS instance controls the laptops internal Dell Truemobile 1350 broadcom 43xx based nic.
Third NS instance controls a Topcom SkyRacer Pro PCcard 3054 atheros 5212 based PCcard nic.
All three plots data to the Mappoint window (default icons used).
At the bottom you can see the Autoroute window, with the last leg of the route driven being announced in the driving guidance section, and the current location plotted on Autoroute's map.
Finally you can see Xport3 providing virtual comports to the 3 NS instances and Autoroute (Mappoint gets it location coordinates from the Masterscript), from a single gps connected via USB (Holux GM-210 SiRF IIe).

Howto will be posted when the minor bugs in the script has been ironed out, and the script has been posted by Goldfndr.

Dutch
Attachments
NSx3-Mappoint2004-Autoroute2006-.png
NSx3-Mappoint2004-Autoroute2006-.png (45.76 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Now when a newb asks how a certain card compares to another you can run them all at one time and report back. :D

Seriously, good form, Dutch :)
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:45 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:Now when a newb asks how a certain card compares to another you can run them all at one time and report back. :D

Seriously, good form, Dutch :)

I'll just not tell him how to run Autoroute (S&T in the US) at the same time.. In other words : GET LOST! :D

But actually it's interesting to see that the Zydas adapter taped to the windscreen, got almost double the numbers the Atheros and Broadcom cards got. It's not because the Zydas adapter has better receive sensitivity or tx power output, but because of the placement. The laptop was on the passenger seat, so the Atheros and Broadcom cards were surrounded by metal. Just goes to show that an external antenna for wardriving is essential, if you want to log big numbers of nets.

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:22 pm

@ Dutch

How was the system performance? I found my older stumbling laptop a little lacking in horsepower running just two instances. What are the specs on the system you are running 3 on?
wrzwaldo

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:26 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:@ Dutch

How was the system performance? I found my older stumbling laptop a little lacking in horsepower running just two instances. What are the specs on the system you are running 3 on?

Faster and more beefier than yours. :D

/Runs and hides
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:27 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:@ Dutch

Dell Latitude C610 P3-mobile 1Ghz/733Mhz, 256 Mb ram, XP pro. Power profile set to laptop, thereby primarily running at the lower speedstep of 733Mhz only switching to 1 Ghz when speech is processed, and i8kmon controlling fans to keep cpu, gpu and harddisks happy with temperature.
Edit: Just checked my monitoring logs, cpu load peak for the trip never went above 80 %.

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby streaker69 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:29 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:Faster and more beefier than yours. :D

/Runs and hides

Attachments
wendys.jpg
wendys.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:49 pm

Dutch wrote:Dell Latitude C610 P3-mobile 1Ghz/733Mhz, 256 Mb ram, XP pro. Power profile set to laptop, thereby primarily running at the lower speedstep of 733Mhz only switching to 1 Ghz when speech is processed, and i8kmon controlling fans to keep cpu, gpu and harddisks happy with temperature.
Edit: Just checked my monitoring logs, cpu load peak for the trip never went above 80 %.

Dutch

Well there's the problem. I was running W2K!
wrzwaldo

Postby beakmyn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:46 am

Dutch wrote:Just a teaser screenshot of 3 instances of NetStumbler controlling each their NIC, all three NS instances plotting data to a single Microsoft Mappoint 2004 instance and verbally announcing networks, courtesy of a new Goldfndr adapted version of the Masterscript, while at the same time Microsoft AutoRoute 2006 provides written and verbal route guidance.

[ATTACH]5781[/ATTACH]

Top NS instance controls a Phillips SNU5600 zydas 1211 USB Nic, which was taped to the inside of the windscreen.
Second NS instance controls the laptops internal Dell Truemobile 1350 broadcom 43xx based nic.
Third NS instance controls a Topcom SkyRacer Pro PCcard 3054 atheros 5212 based PCcard nic.
All three plots data to the Mappoint window (default icons used).
At the bottom you can see the Autoroute window, with the last leg of the route driven being announced in the driving guidance section, and the current location plotted on Autoroute's map.
Finally you can see Xport3 providing virtual comports to the 3 NS instances and Autoroute (Mappoint gets it location coordinates from the Masterscript), from a single gps connected via USB (Holux GM-210 SiRF IIe).

Howto will be posted when the minor bugs in the script has been ironed out, and the script has been posted by Goldfndr.

Dutch

Sounds pretty cool. A new com sharing program too.

I'd try the same thing but there's this little problem with the postal service ;)
beakmyn

Postby Dutch » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:31 am

[quote="beakmyn"]Sounds pretty cool. A new com sharing program too.

I'd try the same thing but there's this little problem with the postal service ]
Actually it was goldfndr that mentioned Xport3 in a thread here on the forums.
It does the job, and if you don't need the frills that Fransons GpsGate software provides (garmin USB, sharing of gps over network, etc), then Xport3 can't be beat for low ressource, price, and capabilities.

http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby Scruge » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:25 am

[quote="beakmyn"]
I'd try the same thing but there's this little problem with the postal service ]

That's because its stuck to Dutch's windshield.:D

@waldo
I was running 3 instances and MS streets with crumb trails on a 700mhz hp with w2k with no problems.

@dutch
I've had real good luck with the zydas dongles. I've got 2 of them inconspicuously mounted to my luggage rack. I think they scan and register activity faster than the others I've tried.
Scruge

Postby Dutch » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:36 am

Scruge wrote:I've had real good luck with the zydas dongles. I've got 2 of them inconspicuously mounted to my luggage rack. I think they scan and register activity faster than the others I've tried.

Yeah they are pretty nice little things under windows, even allows you to use g speeds on a 1.1 USB system. And the zd1211-rw Linux driver is getting there as well. It's understandable that Atheros bought ZyDAS from ZyXEL, and moved all their R&D to ZyDAS.

I'm waiting for the Linux driver to stabilize, then I'm going to hook up 13 of them to two USB hubs, and run kismet with each locked to a specific channel. Will cost around the same as getting two ORiNOCO Gold b/g cards over here. :D

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Return to NetStumbler