NetStumbler v0.4.0 incompatible with D-Link AirPlus DWL-120+ Wireless USB Adapter?

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Postby brwrdrvr » Tue May 05, 2009 7:00 pm

antdude wrote:He does use odd softwares like TwinBridge, FranklinCovey, etc.

It seems like this used Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model: HWU54D; original version) works better than that D-Link one (older) so far.

"Asian dates that's using their palm?" -- Are you referring to palm readers? I don't think asians do those as a stereotype?

Not that I use either one of those softwares and what I've read from using Google, they could be replaced rather easily using open source equivalents. This would also get your client to a new OS with more support and less problems.

Maybe I missed it, but you never said that other wifi adapters are not failing the connection to the AP. I would like to go out on a limb and say that if another wifi adapter stays connected then the wifi adapter is going out. I had a similar problem with my mini-pci adapter in my old laptop and had one laying around for parts. Easy replacement.

I take it that since the machine is running win2k sp4 then the hardware has to be old as well. I didn't understand how NS could have helped you trouble shoot a wifi adapter that is obviously failing and needs to be replaced. Especially when the wifi adapter is not even a supported adapter in NS.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby antdude » Wed May 06, 2009 5:54 am

brwrdrvr wrote:Maybe I missed it, but you never said that other wifi adapters are not failing the connection to the AP. I would like to go out on a limb and say that if another wifi adapter stays connected then the wifi adapter is going out. I had a similar problem with my mini-pci adapter in my old laptop and had one laying around for parts. Easy replacement.

I take it that since the machine is running win2k sp4 then the hardware has to be old as well. I didn't understand how NS could have helped you trouble shoot a wifi adapter that is obviously failing and needs to be replaced. Especially when the wifi adapter is not even a supported adapter in NS.
Yes, Windows 2000 SP4 because the box is old. It's a Dell Optiplex with 256 MB of RAM.

As of last night, the Hawking wifi won't reconnect at all (doesn't even see the old Linksys WAP11). So I tried uninstalling its driver and removing the device, and reinstalling and reconnecting the D-Link one. It works again and seems stable so far. Of course, I will give it a month before I conclude fixed or not. LOL!

I noticed in the wireless devices' software to connect to an AP, there are like 15 different APs on various channels (1, 6, 9, 11, etc.). Nuts. I am sure Netstumbler would see more.
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby antdude » Wed May 06, 2009 5:58 am

brwrdrvr wrote:Maybe I missed it, but you never said that other wifi adapters are not failing the connection to the AP. I would like to go out on a limb and say that if another wifi adapter stays connected then the wifi adapter is going out. I had a similar problem with my mini-pci adapter in my old laptop and had one laying around for parts. Easy replacement.

Yes, Windows 2000 SP4 because the box is old. It's a Dell Optiplex with 256 MB of RAM.

As of last night, the Hawking wifi won't reconnect at all (doesn't even see the old Linksys WAP11) after a reboot. So I tried uninstalling its driver and removing the device, and reinstalling and reconnecting the D-Link one. It works again and seems stable so far(?). Of course, I will give it a month before I conclude fixed or not. LOL!

I noticed in the wireless devices' software to connect to an AP, there are like 15 different APs on various channels (1, 6, 9, 11, etc.). Nuts. I am sure Netstumbler would see more. Obviously, 100% to WAP.

Man, hardwire is much better and secured. ;)
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby little dave » Wed May 06, 2009 6:07 am

antdude wrote:Yes, Windows 2000 SP4 because the box is old. It's a Dell Optiplex with 256 MB of RAM.

As of last night, the Hawking wifi won't reconnect at all (doesn't even see the old Linksys WAP11) after a reboot. So I tried uninstalling its driver and removing the device, and reinstalling and reconnecting the D-Link one. It works again and seems stable so far(?). Of course, I will give it a month before I conclude fixed or not. LOL!

I noticed in the wireless devices' software to connect to an AP, there are like 15 different APs on various channels (1, 6, 9, 11, etc.). Nuts. I am sure Netstumbler would see more. Obviously, 100% to WAP.

Ok if he's happy with the laptop fix connection problem by pluging him into ethernet.
What happened to Dutch?
little dave

Location: somewhere between 00:0f:f8:58:58:08 and 00:13:10:20:20:83

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed May 06, 2009 6:21 am

antdude wrote:Yes, Windows 2000 SP4 because the box is old. It's a Dell Optiplex with 256 MB of RAM.

A month?? Your client can do without the laptop for that long?
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby antdude » Wed May 06, 2009 8:14 am

brwrdrvr wrote:A month?? Your client can do without the laptop for that long?
When did I say a laptop?
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed May 06, 2009 8:33 am

antdude wrote:When did I say a laptop?

Sorry I guess I have laptop on the cranium today. :rolleyes:

Shit-can the wireless and run a hard line.
brwrdrvr

Postby antdude » Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 am

little dave wrote:Ok if he's happy with the laptop fix connection problem by pluging him into ethernet.
I never said laptop. :P

I did suggest using hardwire for stability and reliability, but it is going to be a lot of work since AP is a few rooms away across the hallway.
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed May 06, 2009 10:23 am

antdude wrote:I never said laptop. :P

I did suggest using hardwire for stability and reliability, but it is going to be a lot of work since AP is a few rooms away across the hallway.

I guess I'm feeling cynical and read that as he is piggy backing on someone else's wifi. Since he is running old hardware with old software. As cheap as machines are today, especially desktops. Yet he hires you to fix the problem.

Something is just not adding up here.
brwrdrvr

Postby antdude » Wed May 06, 2009 10:35 am

brwrdrvr wrote:I guess I'm feeling cynical and read that as he is piggy backing on someone else's wifi. Since he is running old hardware with old software. As cheap as machines are today, especially desktops. Yet he hires you to fix the problem.

Something is just not adding up here.
Actually, I am not really getting paid. It's a family member (dad). :/
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed May 06, 2009 11:02 am

antdude wrote:Actually, I am not really getting paid. It's a family member (dad). :/

I feel your pain.

My father's Dell Laptop just went out of warranty and the HDD is corrupted now. I suspect that it was shipped like that because of the trouble he has had from the beginning with it. Dell has done what it needed to keep the machine alive so I can't fault them except with not seeing that the disk was getting more and more fubared. Maybe it was all the pr0n he looks at while mom is asleep. Burned a damn hole right through the platters. :rolleyes:

So Dad ordered a new HHD and some more ram and guess who gets to drive down there and install the hardware? :D

On a positive note my father is more forward thinking than most 66 year old people. He is asking me to get the new Ubuntu installed on the new HDD when I go down there. My mom likes Ubuntu as well. So at least I'm not having to make several trips a month to fix a winders machine. :D
brwrdrvr

Postby Barry » Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am

brwrdrvr wrote:I feel your pain.

My father's Dell Laptop just went out of warranty and the HDD is corrupted now. I suspect that it was shipped like that because of the trouble he has had from the beginning with it. Dell has done what it needed to keep the machine alive so I can't fault them except with not seeing that the disk was getting more and more fubared. Maybe it was all the pr0n he looks at while mom is asleep. Burned a damn hole right through the platters. :rolleyes:

So Dad ordered a new HHD and some more ram and guess who gets to drive down there and install the hardware? :D

On a positive note my father is more forward thinking than most 66 year old people. He is asking me to get the new Ubuntu installed on the new HDD when I go down there. My mom likes Ubuntu as well. [color="Red"]So at least I'm not having to make several trips a month to fix a winders machine.[/color] :D

I use teamviewer to remote my folks' laptops. As long as they don't kill their computers totally. :rolleyes: At least you guys are in the same state. I get to drive down to Georgia, which isn't really that bad.....
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby brwrdrvr » Wed May 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Barry wrote:I use teamviewer to remote my folks' laptops. As long as they don't kill their computers totally. :rolleyes: At least you guys are in the same state. I get to drive down to Georgia, which isn't really that bad.....

I will be setting up VPN access on his network so I can remote it. Just taking my time with it because dad would be calling me every night to get me to do something he could have easily done with 10 minutes of reading. Trying to show the old man how to fish and he keeps wanting me to give him my fish. :D
brwrdrvr

Postby Barry » Wed May 06, 2009 1:19 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:I will be setting up VPN access on his network so I can remote it. Just taking my time with it because dad would be calling me every night to get me to do something he could have easily done with 10 minutes of reading. Trying to show the old man how to fish and he keeps wanting me to give him my fish. :D

Well you know Streaker's favorite saying.

Give man a fire and he's warm for a night,
set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life! :D
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Previous

Return to NetStumbler