NetStumbler v0.4.0 incompatible with D-Link AirPlus DWL-120+ Wireless USB Adapter?

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

NetStumbler v0.4.0 incompatible with D-Link AirPlus DWL-120+ Wireless USB Adapter?

Postby antdude » Sun May 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Is there a way to make an old D-Link AirPlus DWL-120+ Wireless USB Adapter work with old NetStumbler v0.4.0 in an updated Windows 2000 SP4 machine? http://www.netstumbler.org/f4/dlink-airplus-5025/#post77279 says it works fine, but that was in XP Pro. SP1.

I am trying to figure out why my client's PC wireless is having many disconnections and reconnections. NetStumbler says this device is unsupported as shown in a screen capture: http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1984/netstumbler2k.gif ...

I tried inSSIDer, but it doesn't work with Windows 2000 SP4 (requires XP or higher). :(

Thank you in advance. :)
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Sun May 03, 2009 6:04 pm

antdude wrote:Is there a way to make an old D-Link AirPlus DWL-120+ Wireless USB Adapter work with old NetStumbler v0.4.0 in an updated Windows 2000 SP4 machine? http://www.netstumbler.org/f4/dlink-airplus-5025/#post77279 says it works fine, but that was in XP Pro. SP1.

I am trying to figure out why my client's PC wireless is having many disconnections and reconnections. NetStumbler says this device is unsupported as shown in a screen capture: http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1984/netstumbler2k.gif ...

I tried inSSIDer, but it doesn't work with Windows 2000 SP4 (requires XP or higher). :(

Thank you in advance. :)

Nope. It would have worked in XP, since XP has the NDIS 5.1 driver. The NDIS dirver (5.0?) in Win2000 wasn't compatible with NetStumbler.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby little dave » Sun May 03, 2009 6:43 pm

antdude wrote:
I am trying to figure out why my client's PC wireless is having many disconnections and reconnections.

Tell them no more microwave burritos while surfing;)
What happened to Dutch?
little dave

Location: somewhere between 00:0f:f8:58:58:08 and 00:13:10:20:20:83

Postby antdude » Mon May 04, 2009 7:29 am

little dave wrote:Tell them no more microwave burritos while surfing;)
Ha, no it's worse. There are like 15 APs over here and that's not even an apartment. :/

Is there a third party/hack to give Windows 2000 SP4 newer NDIS driver version?
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:42 am

antdude wrote:Ha, no it's worse. There are like 15 APs over here and that's not even an apartment. :/

No, but I hear the new version of WinME will have it.

How about you upgrade to a newer OS if you're gonna do this kind of work.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby little dave » Mon May 04, 2009 8:04 am

antdude wrote:Ha, no it's worse. There are like 15 APs over here and that's not even an apartment. :/

Ok then run the Ap that they want to use to 30 watts. Then no microwave would be needed.

Streaker is right. If your doing this kind of work for pay,your not giving the clients very good service.
What happened to Dutch?
little dave

Location: somewhere between 00:0f:f8:58:58:08 and 00:13:10:20:20:83

Postby antdude » Mon May 04, 2009 12:25 pm

little dave wrote:Ok then run the Ap that they want to use to 30 watts. Then no microwave would be needed.

Streaker is right. If your doing this kind of work for pay,your not giving the clients very good service.
It's just a customer who needs his old PC to be fixed. It's not a company PC. It's a home user using old PCs. :)
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby brwrdrvr » Mon May 04, 2009 12:56 pm

antdude wrote:It's just a customer who needs his old PC to be fixed. It's not a company PC. It's a home user using old PCs. :)

Give the client the Linux option next time you talk with him/her.

I had one of the local school teachers over a few weeks ago. He sat down at the wife's computer and without a thought started going where he needed to go. I asked him how he liked Ubuntu Linux and he was taken aback. He said it never dawned on him that it was not a windows machine.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby antdude » Mon May 04, 2009 9:42 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:Give the client the Linux option next time you talk with him/her.

I had one of the local school teachers over a few weeks ago. He sat down at the wife's computer and without a thought started going where he needed to go. I asked him how he liked Ubuntu Linux and he was taken aback. He said it never dawned on him that it was not a windows machine.
I wished it was that easy. He has a weird configuration. He does a lot of asian inputs/outputs, Office, uses Palm (with asian datas too), etc. Oh well.
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby antdude » Mon May 04, 2009 9:45 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:Give the client the Linux option next time you talk with him/her.

I wished it was that easy. He has a weird configuration. He does a lot of asian inputs/outputs, Office, uses Palm (with asian datas too), etc. Oh well. Funky requirements, he has. Heh.
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:03 am

antdude wrote:Office, uses Palm (with asian datas too), etc. Oh well. Funky requirements, he has. Heh.

I'm not sure he'd appreciate you talking about his personal life online like this. ;)

Are you sure it isn't the Asian dates that's using their palm?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby brwrdrvr » Tue May 05, 2009 5:36 am

antdude wrote:I wished it was that easy. He has a weird configuration. He does a lot of asian inputs/outputs, Office, uses Palm (with asian datas too), etc. Oh well. Funky requirements, he has. Heh.

10 reasons you'll want to install Ubuntu 9.04 | 10 Things | TechRepublic.com

Linux has extensive Palm support and he might like the idea of saving some cash by switching OS's. Unless he is using software that keeps him locked into MS Windows OS?

Linux definitely has the language support that is requested. Plus more and more wireless adapters are being supported.
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby antdude » Tue May 05, 2009 5:46 am

brwrdrvr wrote:10 reasons you'll want to install Ubuntu 9.04 | 10 Things | TechRepublic.com

Linux has extensive Palm support and he might like the idea of saving some cash by switching OS's. Unless he is using software that keeps him locked into MS Windows OS?

Linux definitely has the language support that is requested. Plus more and more wireless adapters are being supported.
He does use odd softwares like TwinBridge, FranklinCovey, etc.

It seems like this used Hawking Technology's Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Adapter (Model: HWU54D; original version) works better than that D-Link one (older) so far.

"Asian dates that's using their palm?" -- Are you referring to palm readers? I don't think asians do those as a stereotype?
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Postby Airstreamer » Tue May 05, 2009 5:10 pm

That's D-Stink, by the way... :D
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby antdude » Tue May 05, 2009 6:42 pm

Airstreamer wrote:That's D-Stink, by the way... :D
Heh, I noticed. It seems they still stink today too.
antdude
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to NetStumbler