Performance issues while running Netstumbler

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Performance issues while running Netstumbler

Postby CubicVirtuoso » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Hello fellow Netstumites (is that correct?)

Let me express my situation. I work for a University that has implemented a campus wide wireless system. We used netstumbler to gauge coverage in certain areas. Recently we have discovered a problem... when testing on a certain notebook (Toshiba Tecra) we noticed that performance results decrease drastically while Netstumbler is open.

This doesn't happen on any of our other notebooks, just the Toshiba Tecra so I am lead to believe that there is a problem with the actual notebook itself. Our wireles network is capped at 1Mbps... while doing tests with netstumbler we get internal (IPERF) as 200 +/- 50 kbps and without netstumbler we get 950 +/- kbps. We also get the same results while doing external tests through speedtest.cogeco.net

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried everything I could think of. Any help would be appriciated. We have even formatted the laptop; I believe the problem lies within the stock Atheros chipset.

Thanks so much for your help!
CubicVirtuoso
Mini Stumbler

Postby itsnotme » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:41 pm

CubicVirtuoso wrote:Hello fellow Netstumites (is that correct?)

Let me express my situation. I work for a University that has implemented a campus wide wireless system. We used netstumbler to gauge coverage in certain areas. Recently we have discovered a problem... when testing on a certain notebook (Toshiba Tecra) we noticed that performance results decrease drastically while Netstumbler is open.

This doesn't happen on any of our other notebooks, just the Toshiba Tecra so I am lead to believe that there is a problem with the actual notebook itself. Our wireles network is capped at 1Mbps... while doing tests with netstumbler we get internal (IPERF) as 200 +/- 50 kbps and without netstumbler we get 950 +/- kbps. We also get the same results while doing external tests through speedtest.cogeco.net

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried everything I could think of. Any help would be appriciated. We have even formatted the laptop]I believe the problem lies within the stock Atheros chipset. [/color]

Thanks so much for your help!

There's your problem right there. You will only get accurate results with the Hermes chipset. You might want to read the README and the welcome desk.
itsnotme

Postby Barry » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:22 pm

Hopefully you also aren't trying to run the speed test over wireless while running netstumbler.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby CubicVirtuoso » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Barry wrote:Hopefully you also aren't trying to run the speed test over wireless while running netstumbler.

Why not?
CubicVirtuoso
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:45 pm

CubicVirtuoso wrote:Why not?

Read the documentation!
Barry

Postby Dutch » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:58 pm

CubicVirtuoso wrote:Why not?

Its clearly stated "why not ?" in the included documentation for NetStumbler. And in the ReadMe file, which you also can find stickyfied in this section of the forums.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby CubicVirtuoso » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Thank you everyone for a kind response. I will take it from here.
CubicVirtuoso
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:27 pm

[quote="CubicVirtuoso"]Hello fellow Netstumites (is that correct?)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried everything I could think of. Any help would be appriciated. We have even formatted the laptop]

Except reading the documentation. It looks like you managed to waste a load of time. Well done.

Show of hands. Who here has ever formatted a hard drive because your network speed was slow?
wrzwaldo

Postby streaker69 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:50 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:Except reading the documentation. It looks like you managed to waste a load of time. Well done.

Show of hands. Who here has ever formatted a hard drive because your network speed was slow?

Two maybe three times a week, my network really flies.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Barry » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:58 pm

streaker69 wrote:Two maybe three times a week, my network has flies.

Fixed!! :D
Barry

Postby whitedice » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:32 pm

I think when people register, they should be restricted from being able to post for at least a week (Join Date: 02-25-2007). They should be told via email upon registering to read the Welcome Desk, all documentation, and search the forum before posting. If they don't, automatic ban.

All you have to do is tell me this was for "Semester at Sea", and you have a prime candidate for F-Tard Of The Year: 2007.

a)Wrong chipset for signal strength
b)Speedtests while NS is running
c)Formatting to fix?
d)Working for a university and not doing any research
e)Not reading anything that would have kept him from looking like a F-Tard
f)And if only it were true (and icing on the cake)... Wifi on a boat.. :eek: :rolleyes: :D
whitedice
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:11 am

whitedice wrote:I think when people register, they should be restricted from being able to post for at least a week (Join Date: 02-25-2007). They should be told via email upon registering to read the Welcome Desk, all documentation, and search the forum before posting. If they don't, automatic ban.

All you have to do is tell me this was for "Semester at Sea", and you have a prime candidate for F-Tard Of The Year: 2007.

a)Wrong chipset for signal strength
b)Speedtests while NS is running
c)Formatting to fix?
d)Working for a university and not doing any research
e)Not reading anything that would have kept him from looking like a F-Tard
f)And if only it were true (and icing on the cake)... Wifi on a boat.. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Geez, did you ever think about searching this has been discussed before !

Yes, I'm a bit cranky the plane got in last night after waiting 6 hours, only to hear that pilot wasn't going to fly anymore so I had to get a hotel.

People read the documentation it wasn't written as an exercise in carpal tunnel. Reminds when blackbox was first ported to win32. You HAD to read the readme to make it work. Buried in the readme was the use of the cl switch -rtfm
:D

typed on my pda with a stick
beakmyn

Postby Dutch » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:21 am

beakmyn wrote:Geez, did you ever think about searching this has been discussed before !

Yes, I'm a bit cranky the plane got in last night after waiting 6 hours, only to hear that pilot wasn't going to fly anymore so I had to get a hotel.

People read the documentation it wasn't written as an exercise in carpal tunnel. Reminds when blackbox was first ported to win32. You HAD to read the readme to make it work. Buried in the readme was the use of the cl switch -rtfm
:D

typed on my pda with ma dick

Must resist urge... Must resist ur.. Ahh bugger it :
FIXED!

/ducks and runs fast for cover...

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby Airstreamer » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:50 am

Heh. Needle.. What? Heh.
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby gm2net » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:59 pm

whitedice wrote:f)And if only it were true (and icing on the cake)... Wifi on a boat..

What's wrong with that? It can be done, and will probably work with the right gear...
gm2net
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to NetStumbler