Vista and Netstumbler (HP/Dell)

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Vista and Netstumbler (HP/Dell)

Postby Blaze312 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:17 am

I have a work machine that I recently had to upgrade to Vista. This machine is my current wardriving machine. After the install I ran into two problems. The first problem was that netstumbler no longer detects my wireless adapter. The first place I came for help was to this forum. It appeared to me that everyone here was far from helpful. People asked questions, and members here just say its an unsupported card and an unsupported OS. I understand that this is in fact the case. However this card was working fine (for my use) under XP.

I did some searching around, and wanted to share what I found with the members here who are actually looking for an answer on how to possibly get it to work.

If you are on a HP (and possibly a Dell) check which driver you are using. If you are currently using a Broadcom adapter here is what worked for me. Go to the dell or hp website and download the Windows XP drivers for you network card. Extract the drivers and manually point the network card at the XP drivers. You may have to play around a little bit as Windows will think it has the newest version of the driver already. I suggest uninstalling it and reinstalling the driver.

Also if you get the Permission Denied error right click netstumbler and click Run as Administrator. This should fix that problem.

I hope this helped some of you. I can now wardrive again. Keep in mind I haven't tested all of the aspects of the network card under Vista while using the XP drivers. There may be problems that occur that I am currently unaware of. Please keep this in mind.
Blaze312
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:40 am

This may work for you, but there is no guarantee that it will work for others. At this time, Vista is completely unsupported.

Closed. In case you don't understand why, read this thread.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to NetStumbler