Vista & Atheros

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Postby MikeP928 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:58 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:Hell, I'm thinking of dropping everything on my home network to Win2k. At least till they stop servicing it. :D

Can't get the wife to like Linux for some reason. I think I will build another Linux box for her then when she bitches give her DOS (After all it is a Microsoft OS). Tell her if she wants a GUI then she'll have to deal with Linux :D

Brave man. Just make sure to build it on a small footprint box. It may take lots of KY and a couple of EMTs to remove it after she demonstrates her dis-satisfaction.

MikeP
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
MikeP928

Postby brwrdrvr » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:03 pm

MikeP928 wrote:Brave man. Just make sure to build it on a small footprint box. It may take lots of KY and a couple of EMTs to remove it after she demonstrates her dis-satisfaction.

MikeP

I might be able to pick up a micro-ITX from a friend. :D
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:05 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:I might be able to pick up a micro-ITX from a friend. :D

You may want to consider a Nano-ITX.
wrzwaldo

Postby Barry » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:15 am

This would probably not hurt as much.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby DaKahuna » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 am

I have two machines running VISA Business at this moment - one at home and one at work and I am running Vista on both for the same reason - part of my job is to come up with security settings for our approved standard operating image. This is the base default image that gets put on every laptop and desktop in the company. So, in order to know what needs to be turned on, what needs to be turned off and how various things need to be configured, I need to know how it works and what are the implications around each and every setting which could affect the CIA triad.

So, after playing with the RC's in the lab and on test machines, I picked two systems and installed it in a production environment and am slowly making the time, now that end of year close outs have finished, to start looking at it closer.

The laptop I am running it on at work is a Dell D620 with the built in fingerprint and smart card readers, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB hard drive, Office 2006, OneNote 2007, and Visio 2007 Pro. It has an internal Intel based mini-PCI wireless card and this coming week I am going to try and install NS on it to see if that works.
DaKahuna

Postby Dutch » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:31 am

DaKahuna wrote:I have two machines running VISA Business at this moment - one at home and one at work and I am running Vista on both for the same reason - part of my job is to come up with security settings for our approved standard operating image. This is the base default image that gets put on every laptop and desktop in the company. So, in order to know what needs to be turned on, what needs to be turned off and how various things need to be configured, I need to know how it works and what are the implications around each and every setting which could affect the CIA triad.

So, after playing with the RC's in the lab and on test machines, I picked two systems and installed it in a production environment and am slowly making the time, now that end of year close outs have finished, to start looking at it closer.

The laptop I am running it on at work is a Dell D620 with the built in fingerprint and smart card readers, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB hard drive, Office 2006, OneNote 2007, and Visio 2007 Pro. It has an internal Intel based mini-PCI wireless card and this coming week I am going to try and install NS on it to see if that works.

You're telling me that your company are planning to migrate to Vista BEFORE the first servicepack is issued ??!? :eek:

If it had been me, I would probably first be upgrading from W2K to XP, for the Windows based production machines about now.. :D

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby theprez98 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:05 am

Dutch wrote:You're telling me that your company are planning to migrate to Vista BEFORE the first servicepack is issued ??!? :eek:

If it had been me, I would probably first be upgrading from W2K to XP, for the Windows based production machines about now.. :D

Dutch

I have the option to "upgrade" to Vista on my new laptop, but I have yet to see any compelling reason to do so...at least until SP1.
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby Wolphin » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:29 pm

theprez98 wrote:I have the option to "upgrade" to Vista on my new laptop, but I have yet to see any compelling reason to do so...at least until SP1.

Well, the "free upgrades" for new machines that have been purchased, have only till the end of march to order Vista, although you don't have to install it at that time ;)
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler

Postby theprez98 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:39 pm

[quote="Wolphin"]Well, the "free upgrades" for new machines that have been purchased, have only till the end of march to order Vista, although you don't have to install it at that time ]
I'll pass!
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby Barry » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:10 pm

We're already getting purchase orders for Vista on the Dell's at the district. We're sending them back to the orderer torn up. I think they'll get the point.
Barry

Postby DaKahuna » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:11 pm

Dutch wrote:You're telling me that your company are planning to migrate to Vista BEFORE the first servicepack is issued ??!? :eek:

Dutch

No Dutch. In my estimate we are at least six - nine months away from even considering upgrading to Vista. However, there will be people who will want to use it and if they are going to do it, I would prefer that we already know any security related issues.
DaKahuna

Postby Dutch » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:54 am

DaKahuna wrote:No Dutch. In my estimate we are at least six - nine months away from even considering upgrading to Vista. However, there will be people who will want to use it and if they are going to do it, I would prefer that we already know any security related issues.

Phew.. You had me worried there for a while.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby Barry » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:40 pm

DaKahuna wrote:No Dutch. In my estimate we are at least six - nine months away from even considering upgrading to Vista. However, there will be people who will want to use it and if they are going to do it, I would prefer that we already know any security related issues.

Hahahahahahaha!! He said security related issues talking about a Windows product! :D :D :D :D :D
Barry

Previous

Return to NetStumbler