Vista & Atheros

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Vista & Atheros

Postby Wolphin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:13 pm

I have an Atheros AR5006EG MiniPCI express card. It works fine in windows XP, but when I try to run it in Vista, I can't get it to allow me to run the card, I get it greyed out and it says Unknown Device (Unsupported).

I was able to get the RTM (Release To Manufacturers) version, through my work. I have all the updates & curent drivers for it.

Since this version will be on all new machines as of the end of January (If not before), I was wondering if there was a planned update to fix the issues?

Also, the way the configuration is made in Vista, the auto-reconfigure doesn't work (The sytem automatically keeps the WZC service running).
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:17 pm

Wolphin wrote:I have an Atheros AR5006EG MiniPCI express card. It works fine in windows XP, but when I try to run it in Vista, I can't get it to allow me to run the card, I get it greyed out and it says Unknown Device (Unsupported).

I was able to get the RTM (Release To Manufacturers) version, through my work. I have all the updates & curent drivers for it.

Since this version will be on all new machines as of the end of January (If not before), I was wondering if there was a planned update to fix the issues?

Also, the way the configuration is made in Vista, the auto-reconfigure doesn't work (The sytem automatically keeps the WZC service running).

What did Microsoft and Atheros support say about this issue?

After all, this is the Netstumbler forum.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Wolphin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:23 pm

streaker69 wrote:What did Microsoft and Atheros support say about this issue?

After all, this is the Netstumbler forum.

It is NOT a computer issue, as the card works fine with NetStumber in Windows XP, just not in Vista.

The wireless works fine for all typical activities in Vista, so is an issue with NetStumbler IN vista. As it jas only just gone "gold", I don't expect it to work perfectly, I was wanting to know if anyone was working on making it work.
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Wolphin wrote:It is NOT a computer issue, as the card works fine with NetStumber in Windows XP, just not in Vista.

The wireless works fine for all typical activities in Vista, so is an issue with NetStumbler IN vista. As it jas only just gone "gold", I don't expect it to work perfectly, I was wanting to know if anyone was working on making it work.

Oh, since you neglected to mention even the word Nestumbler or it's common abbreviation, NS, in your first post, I was confused.

Well, since Win2k and XP (XP mostly) are the only true supported OS's then I would say that's the problem.

It might be compatible sometime in the future when the author gets around to doing it.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Wolphin wrote:It is NOT a computer issue, as the card works fine with NetStumber in Windows XP, just not in Vista.

Why? It works fine if used as directed.
wrzwaldo

Postby Airstreamer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:31 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:Why? It works fine if used as directed.

Yup. Like hemorroid medicine. You have to put it in the right place to start with! :rolleyes:
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby Wolphin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:38 pm

I did try NS with my old PC card as wrzwaldo said he had it working, and it does work with my PC card. I'm no sure why I can't get it to work with my mPCIe card, as it's more powerful (and I can't use my PC card for wardriving with it's 0.1 dbi gain antenna, as I have installed an external pigtail to use a larger antenna off my mPCIe card.
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:39 pm

People are actually going to use Vista before the release of the first Service Pack? :eek:
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Dutch » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:45 pm

Thorn wrote:People are actually going to use Vista before the release of the first Service Pack? :eek:

Thats not as surprising as the fact people actually are using PCI-Express cards... :eek:

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby Wolphin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:48 pm

miniPCIexpress at that! I was just as suprised that computers have that now. Almost all laptops that are out there now have it. Mine's a Toshiba a110-100 (with memory upgraded to 1GB)
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:34 pm

Thorn wrote:People are actually going to use Vista before the release of the first Service Pack? :eek:

Only the people that aren't paying for it. ;)

There's only one reason I still have XP on my home machine and that's for using my Kodak printer, I got a long letter about USB/OHCI/UHCI from Kodak explaining why they're not currently supporting it, too. So, when I need to print a picture I boot into Windows. Sad part is XP took 3 days to get up to snuff and "safe", Ubuntu took 3 hours. I have Win2000 on a laptop too since it's rock solid and I can get it run nicely with minimum RAM.
beakmyn

Postby The Others » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:01 pm

People are deciding to cripple their computers with a Windows release that adds nothing but more DRM? :eek:
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Wolphin » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:11 am

Well, you *can* install & run Vista for 30 days with NO key ;) I am working at getting a key, but don't have one, yet. The RTM disk has all of the versions in 32 & 64 bit architecture. Right now, I'm dual-booting with xp & vista.
Wolphin
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:37 am

[quote="Wolphin"]Well, you *can* install & run Vista for 30 days with NO key ]I'm sure you can. The real question is: Why would you want to do that?

The point here is that you shouldn't run Vista on a production network until the first Service Pack is released, and based on past performance even that will be problematic. Microsoft has a horrible track record with OS releases. Vista SP1 will probably be out in June or July 2007, again judging by what they've done in the past. Microsoft's best effort so far has been 2 major Service Packs and umpteen patches. Before that it was 4 Service Packs, and before that it was 7!

Anyone who runs Vista on a production network prior to SP1 is a fool. If it's a lab network, then maybe, but only if that pig is isolated from everything else until it checks out.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby brwrdrvr » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:52 pm

Hell, I'm thinking of dropping everything on my home network to Win2k. At least till they stop servicing it. :D

Can't get the wife to like Linux for some reason. I think I will build another Linux box for her then when she bitches give her DOS (After all it is a Microsoft OS). Tell her if she wants a GUI then she'll have to deal with Linux :D
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Next

Return to NetStumbler