Weird results, will interference be the cause?

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Weird results, will interference be the cause?

Postby MathijsK » Tue May 22, 2007 9:53 am

I was using netstumbler on a few different adapters with pleasure.
I bought a new 15dB omnidirectional antenna instead of my 8dB one that was working fine.
The result was great for a few seconds on my atheros adapter, then everything greyed out and i wasn't able to get it working like it should again, only 3/4 of the ap's would show to be active while there were like 68 on the list.

I know most adapters aren't fully supported, but i know these work, because when i connect my old antenna i get +/- 30 SSID's on the list and everything behaves normally.

When i connect with another card with realtek chipset, it will show me +/- 40 networks, but when i click on the SSID's tab, they all have multiple mac adresses and most of them are the same for different SSID's.

On a linux machine, kismet seems to cope with it and shows normal results, but doesn't see that much networks as i did in the first few seconds with netstumbler on the atheros card.
Wirelessmon does give result like kismet, but ap's are constantly changing between available/not available.
This is on different nic's, only wirelessmon is running on the same as netstumbler.

So my conclusion is that i have too much interference from reflections of buildings and maybe the band is just too saturated.
I think the multiple mac adresses really look like interference.

Is my conclusion right or does anyone have other idea's?
MathijsK
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Tue May 22, 2007 10:03 am

MathijsK wrote:I was using netstumbler on a few different adapters with pleasure.
I bought a new 15dB omnidirectional antenna instead of my 8dB one that was working fine.
The result was great for a few seconds on my atheros adapter, then everything greyed out and i wasn't able to get it working like it should again, only 3/4 of the ap's would show to be active while there were like 68 on the list.

I know most adapters aren't fully supported, but i know these work, because when i connect my old antenna i get +/- 30 SSID's on the list and everything behaves normally.

When i connect with another card with realtek chipset, it will show me +/- 40 networks, but when i click on the SSID's tab, they all have multiple mac adresses and most of them are the same for different SSID's.

On a linux machine, kismet seems to cope with it and shows normal results, but doesn't see that much networks as i did in the first few seconds with netstumbler on the atheros card.
Wirelessmon does give result like kismet, but ap's are constantly changing between available/not available.
This is on different nic's, only wirelessmon is running on the same as netstumbler.

So my conclusion is that i have too much interference from reflections of buildings and maybe the band is just too saturated.
I think the multiple mac adresses really look like interference.

Is my conclusion right or does anyone have other idea's?

You used an Atheros based adapter, right ?
Read the first post by the author of NetStumbler, in the "Cards that do not work / have problems.. "

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby MathijsK » Tue May 22, 2007 10:49 am

Sure, but i also used some other adaptors.
And, the atheros is working with the other antenna, only snr is not right.
But i can conclude out of your answer that you don't share my opinion that interference is the problem?
When i can buy another card that will be supported and will be guaranteed to work I sure will go buy it, but if it won't i just threw away money on something i won't need. To be fair, that's why i ask this question.
MathijsK
Mini Stumbler

Postby Beard » Tue May 22, 2007 11:25 am

Dump the new antenna if it doesn't work well and the old on does.
Beard

"We hold these truths to be self evident"....
Religous: "Thou shalt not steal."
Amish: "You shall burn in hell for theft of wifi." {courtesy streaker69}
Secular: What's on the books. {courtesy beakmyn}
Redneck; "Thievin' bastard, [blam, blam]"

Solutions for the most common problems or questions of new members are here, here, and here .
Beard

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 am

MathijsK wrote:Sure, but i also used some other adaptors.
And, the atheros is working with the other antenna, only snr is not right.
But i can conclude out of your answer that you don't share my opinion that interference is the problem?

Are you basing this on using NS without the supported chipset?

When i can buy another card that will be supported and will be guaranteed to work I sure will go buy it, but if it won't i just threw away money on something i won't need. To be fair, that's why i ask this question.

What the fuck? There is a supported card that works 100%, had you of done any research you would know this.
wrzwaldo

Return to NetStumbler