Why the **** is an Intel pro 2200BG kicking my Ubiquiti SRC's *** in netstumbler??

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

Why the **** is an Intel pro 2200BG kicking my Ubiquiti SRC's *** in netstumbler??

Postby zambuka42 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:04 am

I'm about to stab something sharp into my arm figuring out what went wrong.... My gf has a regular dell laptop with an INTEL PRO WIRELESS 2200BG. I have a 'badass' Ubiquiti SRC 300mw pcmcia card with an external 5dbi antenna as well as a Dlink DWL-g122 usb card. In our apartment, using netstumbler, I can pick up maybe 3 AP's with low signal strength using either one. SHE GETS 21 AP's!!!! These are the stats of the competing cards:

My Ubiquiti card is 300mw
has a tx power of 24db
and an rx sensitivity of -96
and is using this antenna: http://www.connexwireless.com/products/RV24-5RD.shtml

The Intel is 35mw
has tx power of 15db
and an rx sensitivity of -84
using an internal antenna

I've ruled out the OS, Drivers, & Computer since I've done this test in Linux, XP, and Win2k3, and put my card in her laptop. The only conclusion is that this badass Ubiquiti I've got is a peice of shit compared to an Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg with an internal antenna (if you can even call two fucking wires as a decent antenna). Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.
zambuka42
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:20 am

zambuka42 wrote:I'm about to stab something sharp into my arm figuring out what went wrong.... My gf has a regular dell laptop with an INTEL PRO WIRELESS 2200BG. I have a 'badass' Ubiquiti SRC 300mw pcmcia card with an external 5dbi antenna as well as a Dlink DWL-g122 usb card. In our apartment, using netstumbler, I can pick up maybe 3 AP's with low signal strength using either one. SHE GETS 21 AP's!!!! These are the stats of the competing cards:

My Ubiquiti card is 300mw
has a tx power of 24db
and an rx sensitivity of -96
and is using this antenna: http://www.connexwireless.com/products/RV24-5RD.shtml

The Intel is 35mw
has tx power of 15db
and an rx sensitivity of -84
using an internal antenna

I've ruled out the OS, Drivers, & Computer since I've done this test in Linux, XP, and Win2k3, and put my card in her laptop. The only conclusion is that this badass Ubiquiti I've got is a peice of shit compared to an Intel Pro Wireless 2200bg with an internal antenna (if you can even call two fucking wires as a decent antenna). Please someone tell me I'm not crazy.

Look at your antenna and the pigtail used to connect it to the card. My money is that a) the antenna is a POS, and b) the pigtail similar, so if you are lucky you'll end up with unity gain, but probably even worse.

Get hold of a decent antenna, and a good quality pigtail. Head over to fab-corp and get the Mag-mount 5 dBi antenna and an appropriate pigtail for your card.

Do not go for the cheap 12$ or less antennas. This is a clear case of getting what you pay for.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby zambuka42 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:26 am

first of all, thanks for the reply. So, despite the power of my card compare to the 2200bg, you think that a weak antenna would cause this problem? I only got this one because the manufacturer recommended it for this card. I've been looking to get a new one anyway.

My only problem is that, even though this antenna might suck.. its gotta beat having the two little wires that the 2200bg uses right?
zambuka42
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:28 am

zambuka42 wrote:first of all, thanks for the reply. So, despite the power of my card compare to the 2200bg, you think that a weak antenna would cause this problem? I only got this one because the manufacturer recommended it for this card. I've been looking to get a new one anyway.

My only problem is that, even though this antenna might suck.. its gotta beat having the two little wires that the 2200bg uses right?

No, if you understood anything about antenna design, you'd know this is a silly question.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:36 am

zambuka42 wrote:first of all, thanks for the reply. So, despite the power of my card compare to the 2200bg, you think that a weak antenna would cause this problem? I only got this one because the manufacturer recommended it for this card. I've been looking to get a new one anyway.

There can be many other factors involved. The pigtail between the card and the antenna is probably faulty. Any short there will significantly deterioate the signal going into the card.

And a high output card is no guarantee for a better connection. WiFi = Radio = Two Way connection.
Look at it this way : Persons A & B are standing at one side of the street, and person C is standing on the other side. Person A is talking in a normal voice to Person C and vice versa. They hear each other reasonably well, and its only when a car passes by they can't communicate.

Person B is shouting to person C, but person C is still only replying in a normal voice. Person C can hear anything person B is saying, even when there is a car passing by.. But person B can't hear anything more than what person A could hear.

Substitute person C for an AP, person A for your gf's wifi card, person B for your card, and cars for RF interference caused by anything from multipath reflections, sunspots, microwave ovens, cordless phones and you got the picture.

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby zambuka42 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:43 am

Dutch wrote:There can be many other factors involved. The pigtail between the card and the antenna is probably faulty. Any short there will significantly deterioate the signal going into the card.

And a high output card is no guarantee for a better connection. WiFi = Radio = Two Way connection.
Look at it this way : Persons A & B are standing at one side of the street, and person C is standing on the other side. Person A is talking in a normal voice to Person C and vice versa. They hear each other reasonably well, and its only when a car passes by they can't communicate.

Person B is shouting to person C, but person C is still only replying in a normal voice. Person C can hear anything person B is saying, even when there is a car passing by.. But person B can't hear anything more than what person A could hear.

Substitute person C for an AP, person A for your gf's wifi card, person B for your card, and cars for RF interference caused by anything from multipath reflections, sunspots, microwave ovens, cordless phones and you got the picture.

Dutch

Maybe there is a problem with the antenna (although I have done a continuity test to verify there is no short between the pin and the shielding and that there are no breaks anywhere). I will try to get a new antenna.

But, to continue the metaphor.. its not just a high output put, but a pretty high receive sensitivity. While some of the time, person C may hear person B better... the problem I'm having is that person A is HEARING much more than person B. Since person B has better hearing than person A, whats going on?
zambuka42
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 am

No matter how good a receive sensitivity your card has, if the antenna can't pull in the signal, the card won't have anything to listen too.

Same allegori as before : If person B is wearing ear mufflers, and person A isn't, then person B will hear less.

Get the Magmount 5 dBi antenna, and an appropriate pigtail. You won't regret it.

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby streaker69 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:49 am

Dutch wrote:No matter how good a receive sensitivity your card has, if the antenna can't pull in the signal, the card won't have anything to listen too.

Same allegori as before : If person B is wearing ear mufflers, and person A isn't, then person B will hear less.

Get the Magmount 5 dBi antenna, and an appropriate pigtail. You won't regret it.

Dutch

Let's say we're doing something like this.
Attachments
cone_1.jpg
cone_1.jpg (36.34 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:54 am

streaker69 wrote:Let's say we're doing something like this.

Then I'd say you have far more serious issues than bad RF connections..
:D

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby streaker69 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:56 am

Have 'hell' and 'ass' become acceptable words to be used in the titles of forum threads now?
streaker69

Postby zambuka42 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Dutch wrote:No matter how good a receive sensitivity your card has, if the antenna can't pull in the signal, the card won't have anything to listen too.

Dutch

thanks alot sir, I'll get that antenna
zambuka42
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:08 pm

zambuka42 wrote:thanks alot sir, I'll get that antenna

BTW, you might want to shop for a new keyboard as well. It seems to have an intermittent functioning shift key. You better get that fixed ASAP, if you want to keep frequenting these forums. (Hint : Read ALL the threads in the Welcome Desk section. Especially the thread regarding usage of proper written English here.)

Dutch
Warning. Warning.
Dutch

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:32 pm

zambuka42 wrote:I'm about to stab something sharp into my arm figuring out what went wrong....

The neck would yield better results. ;)
wrzwaldo

Return to NetStumbler