WMP54gs and constant signal

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

WMP54gs and constant signal

Postby Darsh » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:40 am

I've been having trouble with the connection strength of my desktop to my wireless router, so I found netstumbler to help me measure the connection better than windows.

The problem I'm having is that Netstumbler is giving me suspiciously consistent results. I look at the chart, and the green bars (signal?) is *always* at -70, and the noise is *always* at 0. There is zero fluctuation. I don't believe this is accurate, and was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it?

As my title post says, I am using a WMP54GS Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network Adapter with Speedbooster.
Darsh
Mini Stumbler

Postby fregniacciaro » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:42 am

Unsupported card.

As stated in the documentation, the only card that gives accurate signal/noise readings is a hermes chipset.
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby Darsh » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:54 am

:( I didn't see it listed anywhere as unsupported and I searched the forums.
Darsh
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:56 am

Darsh wrote:I've been having trouble with the connection strength of my desktop to my wireless router, so I found netstumbler to help me measure the connection better than windows.

The problem I'm having is that Netstumbler is giving me suspiciously consistent results. I look at the chart, and the green bars (signal?) is *always* at -70, and the noise is *always* at 0. There is zero fluctuation. I don't believe this is accurate, and was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it?

As my title post says, I am using a WMP54GS Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network Adapter with Speedbooster.

Yes, buy a supported card.
wrzwaldo

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:57 am

Darsh wrote::( I didn't see it listed anywhere as unsupported and I searched the forums.

Did you see it listed as supported? Normally for simplicity sake software developers will only list supported hardware. That would mean if your hardware was not on that list then it must _____ __ _________! You can fill in the blanks.

What does the readme say?
wrzwaldo

Postby fregniacciaro » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:05 am

Darsh wrote::( I didn't see it listed anywhere as unsupported and I searched the forums.

readme file wrote:Most 802.11b, 802.11a and 802.11g wireless LAN adapters should work on Windows XP. Some may work on Windows 2000 too. Many of them report inaccurate Signal strength, and if using the "NDIS 5.1" card access method then Noise level will not be reported. This includes cards based on Atheros, Atmel, Broadcom, Cisco and Centrino chip sets.

http://stumbler.net/readme/readme_0_4_0.html
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby fregniacciaro » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:06 am

wrzwaldo wrote:Did you see it listed as supported? Normally for simplicity sake software developers will only list supported hardware. That would mean if your hardware was not on that list then it must _____ __ _________! You can fill in the blanks.

What does the readme say?

Where's your Christmas spirit? Tiny Tim needs to slap you around a bit... :D

(I got a spoon in my stocking)

SHAMELESS PLUG!

--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:09 am

fregniacciaro wrote:Where's your Christmas spirit? Tiny Tim needs to slap you around a bit... :D

All I got in my stocking was 100 rounds of .204 Ruger ammo and the reloading dies to facilitate reuse when they become empty.
wrzwaldo

Postby fregniacciaro » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:13 am

wrzwaldo wrote:All I got in my stocking was 100 rounds of .204 Ruger ammo and the reloading dies to facilitate reuse when they become empty.

I think I got the wrong stocking.

SHAMELESS PLUG!

--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby Tiny_Tim » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:21 pm

fregniacciaro wrote:Where's your Christmas spirit? Tiny Tim needs to slap you around a bit... :D

God bless you Mr. fregniacciaro
Tiny_Tim
Mini Stumbler

Postby EbenezerScrooge » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:43 pm

Tiny_Tim wrote:God bless you Mr. fregniacciaro
Tiny Tim! Quit post whoring and get your ass back into bed before I crack you on the back of your head with my cane! Also because you're such a rotten little twerp, your father Bob Cratchit, is FIRED!! Have a merry Christmas.
EbenezerScrooge
Mini Stumbler

Postby Tiny_Tim » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:19 pm

God Bless you Mr. Scrooge.
Tiny_Tim
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:55 pm

Hahahahahahahaha!!
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby theprez98 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:42 pm

Darsh wrote:I've been having trouble with the connection strength of my desktop to my wireless router, so I found netstumbler to help me measure the connection better than windows.

Merry Christmas! :p

Santa says, there is a difference between 'supported' and 'compatible'.

Only the Hermes chipset (ORiNOCO Gold card) is supported.

Many other cards are 'compatible' which means someone (whose setup might differ completely from yours) reported that it worked. That doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby Barry » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:23 pm

"Compatible" means it won't work for tards like you.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Return to NetStumbler