WPA - PSK AES recovery... any ideas

Questions and configuration information about the NetStumbler software

WPA - PSK AES recovery... any ideas

Postby Katch » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Hi there,

My girlfriend's dad has been having trouble connecting his new laptop to their network because he has lost the WPA key for his router along with the admin password for the router itself.

I have previously used the network but also have no idea what the WPA key was. I've used WZCook to recover the HEx string, just wondering if anyone knows how I can get the hex back to the original passphrase in plain text?

Regards.
Katch
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Katch wrote:Hi there,

My girlfriend's dad has been having trouble connecting his new laptop to their network because he has lost the WPA key for his router along with the admin password for the router itself.

I have previously used the network but also have no idea what the WPA key was. I've used WZCook to recover the HEx string, just wondering if anyone knows how I can get the hex back to the original passphrase in plain text?

Regards.

Simple solution. Go to the manufacturer's website and find the factory reset procedure. Then you have the factory default settings and no password. Now you set it back up. But, you'll probably tell me you can't do this and most likely make up some lame excuse. If you haven't figured it out you're post pegged the B.S. meter.
beakmyn

Postby Katch » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:23 pm

yeah thats what I'll do when I finally get over there. If I can recover the key another way it would be less hassle.
Katch
Mini Stumbler

Postby beakmyn » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Katch wrote:yeah thats what I'll do when I finally get over there. If I can recover the key another way it would be less hassle.

Trust me factory reset is the easiest/fastest/most reliable/safest/convienent way.
beakmyn

Postby theprez98 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Katch wrote:yeah thats what I'll do when I finally get over there. If I can recover the key another way it would be less hassle.

Like I said over at Remote Exploit:
Two words...HARDWARE RESET.

How can holding down a reset button for 30 seconds be a hassle?
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby brwrdrvr » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:46 am

[color="White"].........[/color]
Attachments
bullshit.jpg
bullshit.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby xor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:18 am

Actually some Cisco devices that's not so easy. Some of them you need the console cable to factory reset.

thx-1138

Yeah, you are right the post looks like a duck, smells like a duck, walks like duck, and therefore is BS; quack, quack said the bull. :)
It's a dangerous business, going out on the web.
You step onto the information highway, and if you
don't keep your mouse, there's no telling where
you might be swept off to.

New Kind Of Access Point
xor
Mini Stumbler

Return to NetStumbler