AOL'ers and Non-Typers Die Here

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Yes, no, maybe, not necessarily in that order. Do what everybody else does and pay for your own internet connection.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby streaker69 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:21 pm

ftaguy2006 wrote:yes I'm kinda new to wifi and was wandering if wifi signals will go through walls made of brick or metal or go through trees Because I was going to buy a yagi antenna kit off ebay and I live in under a mile range of many wifi hot spots and wanted to boost my signal on my laptop thanks

Before you buy that Yagi for that, you might want to consider checking Ebay for a new shift key, yours appears to be broken.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Having really strange issues.

Postby AgentChemical » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:09 pm

So my wifi in my laptop has been acting very strange. to make a long story short. i have tried diff cards, usb, mini pci, etc etc. antennas, re installed o/s from scratch etc etc.....and it does the same thing everytime. i can not view wifi networks. windows will say it found one, but it will not list. now from trying to diagnose this issue. i came accross this issue. i know that netstumbler does not use the wzc service. but please explain what is going on in this video i recorded. so it may help me diagnose my issue.

and yes, i have tried seperate ap's and settings in them. im not a noob.

video is located here http://www.radicaldesignz.com/video.wmv
AgentChemical
Mini Stumbler

looking for a card $40 or less

Postby munstarr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:35 am

pretty much im looking for a cheap wifi card with good range. 40 bucks is my limit it has to be pci and runs on windows xp. also it has to fit in a small space, its going in my car computer and space is limited but i want to do wardriving. remember under $40
munstarr
Mini Stumbler

Postby ize2153 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:42 am

if anyone is interested how to upgrade a buffalo WLI-PCM-L11 (its just L11 on the card.. not saying 11GP)... what's more it's the japanese version!
it won't work the standard way. alchemy would read but would not write the PDA. so i tried to flash a hacked version of the the 8.72 firmware that will update any card... (link: http://www.geeklan.co.uk/files/wsuags454c-872.zip) that worked, it was still 64 bit though. but now alchemy was able to write the new PDA (manufacturer ID 00, right). and from then on it connects fine to 128bit networks.. :eek: :D
thanks to the blogger of http://www.geeklan.co.uk/?p=32.... ;)

now to figure out how to reinstall the driver on XP... i let XP recognize the card originally because i don't have the buffalo drivers and this was recommended anyway.. now it won't work (even after removing driver) but it will connect fine in another machine where i could reinstall the driver easily (yup, not XP..). i don't want to change the MAC... any hack to force XP to totally forget the original 64bit card? :confused:
ize2153
Mini Stumbler

Postby ize2153 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:30 pm

still no joy with xp but itdoesnt matter, it has built in wifi anyway, just wanted to see it work under windows too.

forgot to mention, it had a special newer (station) firmware, 9.40. (didn't see mention of that version anywhere)
ize2153
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:45 pm

ize2153 wrote:still no joy with xp but itdoesnt matter, it has built in wifi anyway, just wanted to see it work under windows too.

forgot to mention, it had a special newer (station) firmware, 9.40. (didn't see mention of that version anywhere)

Could be that it only works with computers that actually have a functioning shift key.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Postby ize2153 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:26 am

streaker69 wrote:Could be that it only works with computers that actually have a functioning shift key.

i get your "humour" but the way i write my posts has nothing to do with wifi.. :rolleyes:
it is your problem though if you let yourself bothered by this writing style. (by the way, if you had actually been paying attention to my posts, you would've seen my shift key is functioning fine)
ize2153
Mini Stumbler

Postby itsnotme » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:59 am

ize2153 wrote:i get your "humour" but the way i write my posts has nothing to do with wifi.. :rolleyes:
it is your problem though if you let yourself bothered by this writing style. (by the way, if you had actually been paying attention to my posts, you would've seen my shift key is functioning fine)

It's not humor. Go over to the welcome desk and read the rules. We enforce punctuation and grammar around here. We believe that if you want to get help or learn around here, you might as well use correct English to get it.
itsnotme

Postby streaker69 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:18 am

ize2153 wrote:i get your "humour" but the way i write my posts has nothing to do with wifi.. :rolleyes:

That's funny, I don't think I was making a joke, or alluding to any type of 'humor'.

Now, if you don't want to follow the rules laid down by the operators of this forum, then I suggest you go somewhere else.
streaker69

active, but still...

Postby dcleaner » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:44 am

a friend of mine lifes in an apartment next to me and few months ago he bought a wireless router (Ralink RT2561) and the guys from his isp setup the whole thing.
few days ago i bought a toshiba laptop and in exchnage of paying him something i can use his ap.
and this is where the trouble starts. i've got 2/5 signal strenght and it should connect but when i try to do it i just saiz "active" in windows wireless screen but it doesn't connect. i thought that the guys from his isp setup a mac filter so that only friend's computer could connect, but that wasn't the case.
i need some help because i'm still stuck on modem and i finnally want broadband :(
[SIZE="1"]Silly Rabbit, Trix are for kids. Damn long ears, trying to steal Easter from Jesus.[/SIZE]
dcleaner
Mini Stumbler

problem with

Postby gnnterschulz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:26 am

hi@all

my problem is ,: netstumbler cant find wireless adapter

i use a wlan router (fritzbox)

how can configure netstumpler ?
:mad:
günther
gnnterschulz
Mini Stumbler

Postby helixx23 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:48 am

ave this problem too with mp06 europa
helixx23
Mini Stumbler

Postby ShakaZ » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:58 pm

@wrzwaldo : yes you amuse me & i noticed you tend to give some interesting links sometimes... btw my shift key is going fine thanks ;)

@Thorn : i checked, you're right about ch14. &so was Streaker69 eventhough i'm no us citizen.
I had already checked to the Toshiba site (& googled like crazy...) and hadn't found any driver or firmware to enable the last channels. As the Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 has been around for quite a while i don't have great hopes about finding one soon, or else you guys would probably have heard of it... still i'll give it a try, one never knows a miracle might happen; after receiving one or two automated responses from Toshiba some techie could provide a solution
I learned about the WPA protection being better & WEP total crap on this forum. Sad to hear the scanning of channels won't improve the speed, wonder what it's for then...
On a the wardriving site (thnx again wrzwaldo) i also saw there were WPA sniffing/cracking tools so is it really worth it to implement that, the point being that people who would want to hack my connection have all the tools they need anyways apparently, it's just a question of time... and for the others WEP is good enough to prevent them squatting the connection.
I also read about guys using SSL tunneling over VPN connections, does that provide better security than WEP & WPA & should they still be active when using that type of solution?
I'm also interested in this security issue as we're working on medical device (for the moment a tweaked Palm but that's gonna change soon) at the university, it's used to store data during operations and with the strict regulations regarding confidentiality wether or not to use a wifi link to easily send the data to a computer or to communicate between devices will be an issue. From what i know presently i'm not really in favor of the Wifi solution because of the security concerns & the many devices that can cause interferences.
ShakaZ
Mini Stumbler

Postby ShakaZ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:47 am

Well... contrarily to what you may think i have read the rules & a lot of posts in this forum already before asking those questions, apparently i haven't passed enough hours reading more to be up to your standards & avoid ending up in the bin... While i understand your point of view to a certain point, let me tell you that i've never seen a forum where people were thrown in the bin so easily, but i guess that's something you guys are proud of... still to me it appears that you probably spend as much time handling people in that way as you would by answering most of the noob questions, but then there wouldn't be that little satisfaction bonus ;)

And all that fuss about my shift key... are you serious? If so, what bothers you so much about it?
ShakaZ
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Bin