Gps

GPS System +More Questions :)

Postby Furbiekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:36 pm

Hi, I have a dell laptop with an Intel proWireless 2100. I was trying to use netstumbler with my dads GPS Magellan SporTrakPRO but I cant seem to get it to work. It's on the right com port and everything, the GPS is turned on and pointed at my location. As soon as I load Netstumbler it says GPS: Searching; Then it says GPS; Timed out.

There is an AP called NETGEAR and it is within range and what I really want to do is get the Longitude/Lattitude part of that access point to show on Netstumbler but it wont :(

Any help would be much appreciated! Also, was wondering what the most commonly supported Wireless card is (cisco? orinoco?), because Linux Redhat 9 doesnt support my network card so I cant use Kismet etc. :(

thx! for info's !!
Furbiekiller
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:47 pm

Make sure the GPS has a satellite lock FIRST or it won't work.

http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=46739&highlight=magellan#post46739

If you read the README (supplied with NS) you'd know what card to use. :rolleyes:
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Furbiekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:53 pm

Dang it does have the sattelite lock still doesnt work :((( Its funny, I drove around my house in a circle to get a closer/better response from the AP but i swear it must be right next door! cause when I go driving around it loses it quickly, I should go walking haha.. Thats why i need the GPS to work I wanna know where it is exactly hehe!

Also I dont mean what card for just NS, I mean for every program out there, the most commonly supported one is.. ?
Furbiekiller
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:21 pm

See if there are NMEA sentences on the correct COM port. Use your favorite terminal program.

Details here:
http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=377&highlight=hyperterminal

and here:
http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6312&highlight=hyperterminal

==========================================

As to the card, come off it. If you're not talking supported by NS, then supported by WHAT EXACTLY? Supported by "every program out there" is a null question, as there is no card supported by every 802.11x wireless program, never mind EVERY program.

Get real. Come up with an intelligent question, and maybe we can give you an intelligent answer.
Thorn
Thorn

Gps

Postby Furbiekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:21 pm

Do you have to be connected to the AP such as to able to open webpages, view the network or something to be ABLE to have the GPS in netstumbler report the Longitude/Lattitude. OR can you simply drive by the access point and if your GPS is functioning it will display it? I dont understand this magellan I have, It has 6 solid bars, great satellite connection, I plug it into the serial port, EVERYTHING is set right in options>Port but it just says GPS: Searching GPS: then:Timed Out

Grr! lol
Furbiekiller
Mini Stumbler

Postby Furbiekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:25 pm

uhh.. Netstumbler, Kismet, Airsnort, airjack, thc etc. Does anyone know "which" card is "probably" the most supported and/or all around best for using those and other programs. There HAS to be a particular card thats supported a lot more than others and is a good buy.
Furbiekiller
Mini Stumbler

Postby audit » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:27 pm

Originally posted by Furbiekiller
uhh.. Netstumbler, Kismet, Airsnort, airjack, thc etc. Does anyone know "which" card is "probably" the most supported and/or all around best for using those and other programs. There HAS to be a particular card thats supported a lot more than others and is a good buy.

A simple search would show you that the Lucent (orinoco) gold cards are the ones that people use the most.
audit

Postby Thorn » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:28 pm

Threads merged.

Just as an FYI: Crossposting is a fast route to the Newbie Bin.
=============================================

If you're going to use those programs, then an ORiNOCO Gold Classic.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby Furbiekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:31 pm

Yah, mostly Ive seen good discussions about that card, which is most likely the one I am going to buy. But since I already spent the $ on the unsupported one I have now, I wanted to make sure It didnt happen again and ask around. Sorry about the double post
Furbiekiller
Mini Stumbler

Postby audit » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:34 pm

Originally posted by Thorn
Just as an FYI: Crossposting is a fast route to the Newbie Bin.
=============================================

Feeling generous tonight eh?

Too bad I'm NOT
audit

Postby HITMONEY » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:38 pm

:D
Attachments
orinoco gold 01.jpg
orinoco gold 01.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
HITMONEY

Postby Furbiekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:43 pm

When your using Hyperterminal, I just selected COM1 and everything then hit ok and it says "another program is using the selecte Telephony device, Try again after the other program completes" Is it talking about Netstumbler?? are you supposed to look for the GPS text in hyperterminal with netstumbler off?
Furbiekiller
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:48 pm

Yes.

You're not testig NS at this point, you're testing the output from the GPS.
Thorn
Thorn

Postby Furbiekiller » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:55 pm

Ok so far this is what I have done up to this point.

Turned on my GPS unit.
Selected NMEA to the one thats 2.1.
Got about 6 good satellite connections.
Then I plugged it into the serial port on the back of my laptop.
Opened up Hyperterminal, COM 1 etc. connected. Hit enter a few times.
After sitting here for about 30 seconds its now displaying jibberish on the terminal screen that looks not so similar to the examples I looked at but still its something...
Opened up NS, set up the gps how it should be... apply then ok

GPS:Listening
GPS:Timed out
Doh!

did i miss something??
Furbiekiller
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:04 pm

Yeah, obviously you missed something... ;)

If it looks like garbage, but seems to be streaming on at about the right rate and character spacing, then it's about a 95% chance that the port is set up incorrectly at the system level.

Go into the port control and make sure it is set to: 4800,8,1,N

That is:
4800 baud
8 Data bits
1 Stop bit
No Parity.

Flow control can be Xon/Xoff, although it doesn't really matter.
Thorn
Thorn

Next

Return to Newbie Bin