is there any other program that works with SMC cards?

is there any other program that works with SMC cards?

Postby rhooeck » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:14 pm

I have an SMC2563 wireless PCMCIA card and would like to test the surroundings in my home and have foubd that Netstumbler does not work is there any other program?? please help!!
rhooeck
Mini Stumbler

Postby jamie112 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:18 pm

It doesnt work with:
-Kismet
-Net Stumbler (windows and linux version, even thought ig ot mien to work for about 10mins intill i rebooted hten it didin't)
-dstumbler
-airsnort
-BSD airtools

-That it so far:(
I have an smc card and in my view there shit:(

-Jamie
jamie112
Mini Stumbler

Postby rhooeck » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:59 pm

does it work or not work with those programs?
rhooeck
Mini Stumbler

Postby jamie112 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:18 pm

Originally posted by jamie112
It [B]doesn'twork with:
-Kismet
-Net Stumbler (windows and linux version, even thought ig ot mien to work for about 10mins intill i rebooted hten it didin't)
-dstumbler
-airsnort
-BSD airtools

-That it so far:(
I have an smc card and in my view there shit:(

-Jamie [/B]
jamie112
Mini Stumbler

Postby sparafina » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:58 pm

You have an ATMEL chipset based card. Try Aerosol
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby miguelrvs » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:52 pm

If you use wXP or w2000, try anyway the netstumbler. It works for some (in fact a lot) cards that are in the unsuported list via a common driver called ndis, with xp the chances are greater
:)
miguelrvs
Mini Stumbler

Postby jamie112 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:04 pm

I cant get Aersol to work.....
-Windows XP
-SMC 2635w

-Jamie
jamie112
Mini Stumbler

Postby sparafina » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:18 pm

Originally posted by jamie112
I cant get Aersol to work.....
-Windows XP
-SMC 2635w

-Jamie

lo siento, I thought it might be worth a try because it is the only stumbling program that claims to work with ATMEL (USB) based wireless adapters.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby quickdraw » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:00 pm

I got it to work with that card, all you have to do is go to the SMC website and update your drivers. That is what anyone should do if they have problems. Drivers are a great place to start, rather then looking for hand outs from other people. Only way to learn, is to do it yourself, google it, and trial and error:p
quickdraw
Mini Stumbler

Postby thehman » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:07 am

I agree I got the SMC 2635 to work by updating to the latest 1.80 driver. Although I also agree that they are crap. I hate there software and find myself losing my connection often. I now have the Dell True Mobile 1150 and am very pleased with it so far. I read on here that it is the orinoco gold and got it for that reason.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
thehman
Mini Stumbler

Postby THW Mark » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:03 am

I have an SMC 2835 W (b/g card)... Same problem, tried al programs, even warlinux and knoppix, but they do not recognise the card. Installing drivers while booting from a linux cd seems to be impossible (?), haven't tried installing linux on the laptop yet...

Netstumbler does work, but with the usual problem of closing when connection to AP is lost or when more AP's are detected, etc... Sometimes i wonder why there is no 'beta' version of the new 0.4 stumbler, or an 0.3.30 is made with a fix. (Marius knows about the problem, i don't get why he doesn't fix it in a pre-0.4 release...)

Airosol and wlan expert don't work with my smc either... very frustrating
THW Mark
Mini Stumbler

Postby nashr » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:13 am

Damn, here we go. Why doesn't Marius fix this? Why doesn't Marius fix that?

Here's an idea... why don't you donate your card and some CA$H so Marius has the resources necessary to at least attempt this.

Originally posted by THW Mark
I have an SMC 2835 W (b/g card)... Same problem, tried al programs, even warlinux and knoppix, but they do not recognise the card. Installing drivers while booting from a linux cd seems to be impossible (?), haven't tried installing linux on the laptop yet...

Netstumbler does work, but with the usual problem of closing when connection to AP is lost or when more AP's are detected, etc... Sometimes i wonder why there is no 'beta' version of the new 0.4 stumbler, or an 0.3.30 is made with a fix. (Marius knows about the problem, i don't get why he doesn't fix it in a pre-0.4 release...)

Airosol and wlan expert don't work with my smc either... very frustrating
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

Postby THW Mark » Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:43 am

very surprising, i was waiting for an answer like that... (saw it before on the other forums) However, reading the stumbler.net newspost about the problem, he knows what the problem is, and says it will be fixed... So what is the problem of making a quick-fix before releasing the real 0.4??

So, why i haven't donated yet? Well, first of all, i do not like to invest money without having any guarantee it will ever work. Second, the last released version of netstumbler is 1.5 year old. Again, no offence to Marius, i know he works on it in spare time, but taking so long simply doesn't give much hope. (to me that is).
Last, i dont have a credit card, so paypal is no option for me. (international transfer costs around 10 dollar for only transferring, you'll have to add your donation to that... So I'm willing to give a 20 euro for example, means 10 euro gets lost on the way just for doing the transfer, 10 euro/dollar left, woooh thats 1 visit to burger king :/)
Why not donating my card? Well ever thought about me using it? Sending from Europe (netherlands) to US takes long, costs too much and i can't use the card for weeks...
THW Mark
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:17 am

... However, reading the stumbler.net newspost about the problem, he knows what the problem is, and says it will be fixed... So what is the problem of making a quick-fix before releasing the real 0.4??

Why should Marius feel compelled to do that? Just for your convenience? Come on.
------------------------------------------------------------

Look, it is simple. This is "beggarware." It hasn't cost you a thing, and no one says you have to use it. If you are unable or unwilling to help with the problem, then you should not be complaining.

The choices are:
1) Buy/use a supported card. (There is a list of supported cards for a reason. )
2) Help by contributing. (Cash or card.)
3) Put up with any released programs as they are, and get new releases at Marius' schedule.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby nashr » Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:23 am

So, if you knew the answer, why did you ask the freakin question? Look, it's FREE! Marius does this in his SPARE TIME, for FREE! What have you contributed to the community lately, besides bitching that the freeware doesn't do what you want it to do?

Damn, more 'tards here every day.

very surprising, i was waiting for an answer like that... (saw it before on the other forums) However, reading the stumbler.net newspost about the problem, he knows what the problem is, and says it will be fixed... So what is the problem of making a quick-fix before releasing the real 0.4??

So, why i haven't donated yet? Well, first of all, i do not like to invest money without having any guarantee it will ever work. Second, the last released version of netstumbler is 1.5 year old. Again, no offence to Marius, i know he works on it in spare time, but taking so long simply doesn't give much hope. (to me that is).
Last, i dont have a credit card, so paypal is no option for me. (international transfer costs around 10 dollar for only transferring, you'll have to add your donation to that... So I'm willing to give a 20 euro for example, means 10 euro gets lost on the way just for doing the transfer, 10 euro/dollar left, woooh thats 1 visit to burger king :/)
Why not donating my card? Well ever thought about me using it? Sending from Europe (netherlands) to US takes long, costs too much and i can't use the card for weeks...
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

Next

Return to Newbie Bin