More Crap on WarChalking

Postby Thorn » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:23 pm

strosien,

No one here will dispute your right to share something that you own and pay for; i.e. your network and bandwidth. If you want to invite every every person walking down the street in to watch your TV, your privilege. If you want to let every person with wireless on your network, have at it! It is entirely a conscious decision by you.

However, if something is mine, you have no right to compel me to pay for something for your use. If I am ignorant of security issues (as too many wireless users are) it is even worse, as you are stealing from those who are not even aware of your actions. This is on the same level as those who would take from a blind man.

That morally wrong, ethically wrong, and defined in the law as theft. The INTENT of the law is to protect those who would be taken advantage of by the freeloaders.

End of discussion.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby audit » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:24 pm

I like my beer and it doesn't affect my thinking, ask anyone at the AA meetings.

You may want to read This if you don't think that what your so trying to argue for is wrong.

Originally posted by strosien
Perhaps consuming less beer will allow you to think clearer? C'mon ..geez.... all I am really trying to argue is the point that using someone elese wireless network (including when others use mine) should not be defined as "theft".

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=theft

Didn't know I would torque your screws so tight.

Please pass the popcorn....
audit

Can I point something out?

Postby Chris_Schear » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:14 pm

http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9733&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I realize the thread has been closed and there is reason, good reason, behind stifling such an on-going "debate" (if you will), but there is an analogy I am surprised no one had mentioned. At least, I didn't see in my quick scanning of the thread that it was mentioned.

If you use the "I'm not deprived, it's ok to let others use" line of thinking with regards to services, a simple interjection of cable television piracy laws come into play. You wouldn't be depriving your neighbor of his cable service if you were to tap in and install a splitter, piggy backing off his service, but that IS an illegal activity. Regardless of that fact, most (if not all) ISP terms of service include statements that identify the services you receive may not be resold, redistributed, shared, etc. You're not allowed to share your residential Internet service with your neighbor, etc. It violates the AUP.

It's illegal for you to share cable television signals. Especially considering cable modems are a very entrenched broadband service, it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to consider it being on equal ground. While there may be no concise law stating, it is comparable to consider sharing of Internet services is equally "wrong".

Whether the customer of the services knows and willingly allows other to piggyback bandwidth or not. Again, I just found it curious why a cable t.v. comparision was never considered in this dicussion. IF it was and I simply overlooked it, my apologies.
Chris_Schear

Postby Thorn » Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:31 pm

Ah, great minds think alike. ;)

strosien sent me a PM about the thread, and I responded with that very argument. Cable TV Theft of Services is bandwidth theft, and is prosecuted all the time. Quite successfully, too.

And now, I'll merge this with the orginal thread, and we can close the whole thing for now.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Previous

Return to Newbie Bin